1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Acceptable Rust (under carriage)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by thecreeper, Jun 14, 2009.

1. Jun 14, 2009 at 3:22 PM
    thecreeper

thecreeper [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Just curious, I went to two different dealers yesterday looking at Off Rd pkgs and one was a 08 "left over" and its pretty nice (fully loaded) and got offered a decent price which I could still fight to get lower no prob. But I noticed the leaf springs had corrosion and rust. So I looked underneath and was sorta surprised to see some rust (orange) and corrosion (white) in various spots. I was looking at a left over 07 and it had a lot more rust and corrosion on the leaf springs and under carriage... anyway the 08 has 92 miles on it. I told the sales guy that I felt it should be discounted for that rust or something should be done to fix that. He just said no. That's how it goes (how life is i guess). I then looked at an 09 Sport they had on the lot for the hell of it and looked underneath. Clean for the most part but there was a little bit of corrosion on the leaf springs and behind the wheels, etc... not much but still noticable.

Is this acceptable? Am I being way too anal here? The sales guy was like "Its going to happen sooner or later..." but ok maybe it will but shouldn't it happen maybe a year or so down the road from when I drive it off the lot? I think the sales guy felt I was being unreasonable... i guess i am anal and have OCD :p

Thoughts? I kinda felt as if ok the one with 92 miles on it was driven in snow maybe and that's why its like that...the 09 had only 22 miles on it so it really wasn't driven anywhere...but I guess its possible it was driven in the snow but would it really corrode that fast?

How are your guys holding up? Or is there something you can do to protect the under carriage, but is that really my responsibility in the first place?

2. Jun 14, 2009 at 4:09 PM
    NMG

NMG Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ottawa
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport
    I wouldn't be too concerned. Metal exposed to the elements will rust and it would probably take decades for the surface rust you are seeing to even begin to be a problem, especially if you take care to wash the vehicle regularly.

I'm actually always amazed at how quickly rust can appear. The rotors on some vehicles I've had literally get a fine layer of rust on them after sitting overnight after a car wash. It's amazing and it looks bad, but I don't think it's all that harmful in the grand scheme of things.

3. Jun 14, 2009 at 4:17 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Mine has rust under it also. Kinda disappointing, but that's a fact of moisture & metal. I don't even wheel my truck or expose it to anything unusual. It's just surface rust.

4. Jun 14, 2009 at 4:38 PM
    Capita

Capita Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corner Brook, Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Double Cab
    I noticed spots on my frame yesterday. Just used some paint and touched it up. Looks good now. I'll be getting it undercoated the fall to help with the winter salt.

5. Jun 14, 2009 at 4:44 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Yeah...Dealerships can't do anything about natural stuff. It's usually just surface and easy to clean off...Touch it up with some paint or get it undercoated.

6. Jun 14, 2009 at 5:01 PM
    thecreeper

thecreeper [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    ok, when i eventually purchase (waiting till after the 4th of July) I'll first look for one that has no rust and then look into undercoating, heheheheh. i guess i was just surprised to see that rust on new trucks on the lot.

7. Jun 14, 2009 at 5:09 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Yeah...new is relative. An 08 coulda been built almost 2 years ago at this point...and it's been chilling around waiting to be bought....

Products Discussed in

To Top