1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Access Cab or Double Cab Pros/Cons

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Tacoma3232, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Apr 19, 2010 at 8:13 PM
    Tacoma3232

Tacoma3232 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Hemet, CA
    I'm looking to get rid of my 2006 ranger and upgrade to a Tacoma but cant decide on which cab or box length. Thanks for the help Guys and Gals.

2. Apr 19, 2010 at 8:19 PM
    ChaseUA

ChaseUA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    Bama
    Vehicle:
    Present: 2016 White TRD Sport DC Past: 2010 MGM TRD Sport AC 4x4
    It is all a matter of preference. I opted for the Access Cab because I figured I'd get more use out of the long bed than the short bed and didn't want the wheel base of the DC LB's... I'm happy with my decision, but will admit that it is hard to get stuff out of my access cab while parked in my garage (when my wifes car is parked in there as well) - this is the only con I've encountered, and since we use the car as the "grocery getter" I don't expect to have to get things out of the access cab often. When I first got it though we took it shopping once (wife wanted to ride in it) and thats the reason I experienced this little nuisance to begin with.

3. Apr 19, 2010 at 8:40 PM
    TRICOMA

TRICOMA Tacoma with the TRI package

Member:
    First Name:
    Tri
    Carlsbad, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC SB 4x4 TRD Off Road
    King Off-Road Shock Coilover 2.5 with Resi in the front. King Off-Road Shocks 2.5 with Resi's for the rears, Rear Spring TSB, KMC XD Enduros 16x8, Black Vinyl Fenders, Bed compartment locks, Cobra 19 DX IV with Lil Wil mag mount antenna, CoverKing Seat covers front and rear, Built Right UCAs, Aluminess Expedition Bumper, GY Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar 265/75-16, Custom hybrid style rock sliders.
    Great thing about a tacoma is that they have a size for most people. I went with the DC with a Short bed. And here is why.

1. I like to Off Road - Shorter bed = shorter wheelbase (Compared to DC LB)
    2. If I want to carry passengers, and family members it is nice to have the extra room.
    3. I can carry what I want in a short bed. (My dog)
    4. DC SB has the TRD Off Road and the DC LB does not (Rear Locker)

Find out what you want the truck for....I started looking at the AC, then the DC LB and settled on the DC SB when all said and done.

4. Apr 19, 2010 at 8:45 PM
    Frogdaddy

Frogdaddy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ga.
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner SR5 DC
    Pioneer MVH-p8200 hu with XM receiver using TSS supplied shark fin cable, Mud Flap cut mod.
    Example: I needed it for a couple of reasons. Kids, commuting, weekend hauling (not too large), and no off road.

So I got a DC, V6, Short bed, 4x2 Prerunner.

5. Apr 19, 2010 at 8:49 PM
    Okkine

Okkine Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    1998 Tacoma, V6, Manual Transmission, 4x4
    All a matter of what you're gong to use it for. If you have kids, or regularly have more than one passenger you'll want to look at the double cab. Those back seats in the access cab are quite cramped for all but the smallest of people. I personally like my access cab, because there's room to carry people if needed, which isn't more than once or twice/month, without being overburdened with room that I don't want or need.

6. Apr 19, 2010 at 8:53 PM
    billas333

billas333 They Still Love To Hate Me! - T.O.

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2008 4x4 Tacoma Sport
    Mods so far: Tube steps from toyota, Bed extender from toyota, Spare Tire lock, Sound System Makeover, Tacoma All-Weather heavy duty rubber floor mats. Rear TSB, Icon Coilovers w/ TC UCA's and 3inch rear block with rear 5100 bilstein shocks, Black Headlights, Grillcraft black grill, Devil Horns from Andres, Black Headlights, Chrome Liquid Metal Gatlins Wheels, 285/70R17 Nitto Tera Grapplers, Wet Okole Seat Covers! Seat Belt Chime Mod, Flowmaster 50 series dual exhaust, Debadged tailgate, TRD Decals, HID hi/low + fogs.
    I had a 96 access cab before I bought my Double Cab Short bed. I hated the access cab, no room for any type of subwoofer if you wanted one without losing the entire backseat for the occasional passenger it seemed like. Just not enough room in general there for me.

The shortbed tacomas I think look better personally. The bed extenders are great. I have moved with my truck 3 times and I have no problem hauling loads of whatever with the bed extender. Plus it is removable.

Disadvantage I cant reach the rear window slider. I have to get out to open it LOL

7. Apr 19, 2010 at 8:55 PM
    ChaseUA

ChaseUA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    Bama
    Vehicle:
    Present: 2016 White TRD Sport DC Past: 2010 MGM TRD Sport AC 4x4

Hate to get off topic, but already moved 3 times with a 2008 truck? I don't envy you at all. You should keep "2 men and a truck" on retainer.... haha

8. Apr 19, 2010 at 9:00 PM
    billas333

billas333 They Still Love To Hate Me! - T.O.

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2008 4x4 Tacoma Sport
    Mods so far: Tube steps from toyota, Bed extender from toyota, Spare Tire lock, Sound System Makeover, Tacoma All-Weather heavy duty rubber floor mats. Rear TSB, Icon Coilovers w/ TC UCA's and 3inch rear block with rear 5100 bilstein shocks, Black Headlights, Grillcraft black grill, Devil Horns from Andres, Black Headlights, Chrome Liquid Metal Gatlins Wheels, 285/70R17 Nitto Tera Grapplers, Wet Okole Seat Covers! Seat Belt Chime Mod, Flowmaster 50 series dual exhaust, Debadged tailgate, TRD Decals, HID hi/low + fogs.
    haha yea I know,

Lived in san diego and moved twice with it there in a years time. Then moved back to northern california and then moved once more so I guess 4 times LOL

This past time I did everything myself except my TV and couch.

Drawers out of the dresser then move em all. Mattresses just throw em up on the back and everything else is a handful haha

I think I got it down pat

9. Apr 19, 2010 at 9:02 PM
    Okkine

Okkine Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    1998 Tacoma, V6, Manual Transmission, 4x4
    Arg, I can't count how many times people have asked me to help move in the 18 months that I've owned this truck :mad: I guess that's part of the curse of owning a truck when most of your friends don't even own a vehicle :rolleyes:

10. Apr 19, 2010 at 9:49 PM
    Tacoma3232

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Hemet, CA
    Does the DC SB Sport Have a Locker because i like the occasional off road trip. Thanks you guys for the info on the access cab being small for me. Seems like DC SB but just got to find the package i want to many choices.

11. Apr 19, 2010 at 9:51 PM
    Tacoma3232

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Hemet, CA
    How does the DC like snow because i work in the mountains and we get the snow.

12. Apr 19, 2010 at 10:01 PM
    solus

solus HOME!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bremerton, WA
    Vehicle:
    RR 4wd SR5
    NO!!!!!!!!!

not because its a short bed or a dc but because it is a SPORT!!!!!!

the dc short bed can be had with the Offroad trd package though... and that has a locker, or you can get an access cab w/ OR TRD and get a locker.

The LB DC only can be had in SPORT TRD or no TRD at all

13. Apr 19, 2010 at 10:55 PM
    TacoAlaMode

TacoAlaMode Mr. Midlife Crisis

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    10 DC LB MG 4X4 TRD Sport
    Icon Ext Coilover, Alcan Rear springs, Demello 3-Hoop Bumper and RockCrusher Sliders, Full tint 360', WeatherTech Floor liners and rainguards, Debadged, In Cabin 110 with 400w anytime, Diff breather mod
    I went from a 1998 Dakota extended cab, no 3rd door to a DC LB. I had a hard choice between the DC LB and the DC SB because (as stated above) no Locker on the LB, and you can't get the manual tranny in LB. I went with the LB because I find myself pulling into the nursery and getting them to dump a load of mulch or gravel into the back of my truck, and I don't believe 5 foot is enough. I have only had my truck 2 weeks, but I purchased a new riding mower with a dump trailer and fit them nicely into the bed of my truck.

I will take this truck out into the mud, but can't see myself going to the extreme's that the long wheelbase or lack of locker will cause me much problems. As for the auto tranny, I'm getting use to it and I am pleasantly surprised that it doesn't hunt for gears. It always seems to be in the right gear at the right time, or drops a gear easily when I decide to move a bit quicker.

I mainly only have myself and my daughter in my truck, but I wanted the DC because I could never carry more than 1 person comfortably. The DC makes it happen and I love the 4 full doors. No more adjusting the driver's seat putting things in the back! I mainly keep the seats folded in the cargo configuration. I have never had a shell or cover on my trucks, so the extra room inside is great for luggage when I am travelling.

Just my 2 cents. Enjoy the new truck!

14. Apr 19, 2010 at 11:04 PM
    Tacoma3232

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Hemet, CA
    Thank You for your two cents i'm thinking DC SB Sport but just a thought.

15. Apr 20, 2010 at 1:30 PM
    solus

solus HOME!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bremerton, WA
    Vehicle:
    RR 4wd SR5
    why? I'd go for the long bed if I were to get a sport

16. Apr 20, 2010 at 1:39 PM
    Herculean

Herculean Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Vehicle:
    SoCal
    A/R Chambers, BFG KM2's, Donahoes, Fox 2.0, Sliders, flowmaster, some little stuff.
    I have had both the Access and DC SB (current) in TRD Offroad trim. Didn't think the wheelbase would be that different in the SB, but it made a HUGE difference in turning radius & parking for me. It just feels easier to drive around town IMO, not to mention on tight trails. I can still haul my bikes just fine with the SB and love being able to haul 4 ppl around comfortably.

17. Apr 20, 2010 at 1:45 PM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    i have a d/c l/b 4X4. i started a family and needed back seats.car seat wouldnt fit backwards in an access cab.not in a safe manor imo.my ugly goonie friends wont fit in an access cab. i needed the long bed because im always hauling crap and needed the extra bed space.i dont offroad my truck so the longer wheelbase is not a issue.4x4 is must in nj.

18. Apr 20, 2010 at 1:47 PM
    dieselstaco

dieselstaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tundra Rock Warrior
    being 6'7" I found the AC to have far less head room, i like the look of the AC over the DC, but DC it was! :)

19. Apr 20, 2010 at 1:48 PM
    Taco4x4NC

Taco4x4NC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Western North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 DC/LB "Pytrite Mica/Katzkin leather
    3m clear bra or Venture, stant locking gas cap, Shield, front windows tinted, weathertechs, ARE "Z" topper. Sockmonkey decal, Billy 5100's x 4 corners, Eibach coils, Toytec 1.5 AAL. Michelin 265/75/16 MS2's, Grillcraft MX series/TOYOTA badging. FJ/SE TRD Anthracite gray wheels. Katzkin leather/heated seats.
    I wanted and bought the 4x4 D/C L/B. I wanted the extra room of the D/C and the L/B for the extra space, the long bed ride is also a huge plus and completely sold me....very smooth on the superslab. ;)

[​IMG]

20. Apr 20, 2010 at 1:49 PM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    And the d/c l/b looks awesome lifted ...fuck yeah!!!! : o )

Products Discussed in

To Top