1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Access cab owners:

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by babytruck, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Jun 19, 2011 at 12:18 PM
    RainDodger

RainDodger YGWYPF

Member:
    Great Northwest
    Vehicle:
    '09 Black, TRD Sport
    None yet! It's new!
    I did precisely what you want to do... I took absolutely everything out of there, including the lap belts. Unbolted the console, took out the absurd stock sub-woofer, took out the seats and headrests. Of course all of that left some open holes in the plastic interior panel. I salvaged a similar color plastic piece from the dealer's trash (old door panel) and cut covers for the holes, which I glued on from the back of the panel. Looks just fine. I cut a nice piece of carpet to cover the back, and now it's much more practical.

When you pull out the console, it will leave an open spot in the center of the back "bench", but that will cover easily with a small piece of plywood between the two plastic compartment doors. The carpet covers it all.

I just stuck all that stuff in a box and it can be bolted back in if I sell the truck or whatever.

2. Jun 19, 2011 at 12:25 PM
    BMOC

BMOC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paden
    Phoenix, AZ
    sounds interesting, post some pics :D

3. Jun 19, 2011 at 12:53 PM
    surfsupl

surfsupl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    I DONT CARE IF IT'S A RE-POST
    Rear Diff Breather~ 5100's ~Fog Light Anytime~Tint~TRD Seat Covers~Weather Tech's~Pioneer H.U.~Lift~Eibach Springs~LED's......blah...blah...blah
    I fold them down,bought a husky liner,and haul a bunch of tools around.

I don't know if they are still making the form fitted liners that fit over the seats when they are folded down.

4. Jun 19, 2011 at 12:58 PM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
    I keep the headrests down and seats usually down. I use the storage under the seats and the center console back there.

5. Jun 19, 2011 at 1:01 PM
    surfsupl

surfsupl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    I DONT CARE IF IT'S A RE-POST
    Rear Diff Breather~ 5100's ~Fog Light Anytime~Tint~TRD Seat Covers~Weather Tech's~Pioneer H.U.~Lift~Eibach Springs~LED's......blah...blah...blah
  6. Jun 19, 2011 at 1:51 PM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    Just a piece of plywood on top of two wooded boxes nothing is held down so I can lift the plywood and get to the hatches. I covered the plywood with some gray carpet.

cover.jpg

7. Jun 19, 2011 at 1:53 PM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    I keep my seats folded down. On the driver side under the seat I have a tool kit, tow rope and tie dies ect. in the under seat storage, then on the passenger side I have my air comp/Battery Jumpstarter and an emergency kit.

8. Jun 19, 2011 at 5:47 PM
    xxaarraa

xxaarraa Well-Known Member

Member:
    Here is what I did and my 95 lb golden retriever has certified my work.

[​IMG]

Same idea as the one posted above by maineah, I use two concrete boxes to support my plywood. A bath towel is stapled to the plywood and a bathroom mat is on top for cushion. Really like the carpeted idea, very nice and clean work.

9. Jun 19, 2011 at 6:01 PM
    babytruck

babytruck [OP] Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2010 Barcelona AC 4x4 4.0 6spd
    Wow, you guys! Thanks for the pics! I'm getting some good ideas and it seems like I don't have to rip things out! Do any of you happen to have a pic of what it looks like under there to support the board?

10. Jun 19, 2011 at 7:44 PM
    ETAV8R

ETAV8R Out DERP'n

Member:
    Republik of Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    MGM 09 AC 4WD V6 TRD-OR w/ Tradesman Shell
    Just the basics
    Switched over to pre-09 version. Drivers side is folded forward for the flat surface. Rarely, if ever, has anyone sat there. I've had friends sit behind the passenger off road and on fairly long road trips. They know what is in store should they decide to come along. I've sat back there too. Not super comfortable but I didn't buy an access cab to taxi people around. Maybe if there was a DCLB with the OR option.

11. Jun 19, 2011 at 7:49 PM
    babytruck

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    I originally wanted a DC but frankly it was too expensive. This truck was a gift so I chose the one with the lowest negotiated price. So at this point I'm trying to make due. My neighbor has the older ones with the bench seat and it seems like you can do more with his. *sigh* Hey, I'm lucky to get what I did and I love it. I just want to be able to make it more versatile for my needs.

12. Jun 20, 2011 at 6:31 PM
    jpmorrisvb

jpmorrisvb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2014 Barcelona Red TRD Off-Road PreRunner
    Clazzio seat covers, KB Voodoo Powder Coated Tailgate Cap, OEM running boards, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, 35% Tinted windows, EGR window vents, color matched door handles and tail gate lift, WeatherTech FloorLiners, OEM bed mat, sound dampening on rear wall and rear doors, on anytime foglight mod
    I don't use the back seat:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Jun 20, 2011 at 6:35 PM
    babytruck

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    BINGO!! [​IMG] Storage above and under, perfect!! A new project ahead of me for my vacation. :D :D :D

Ummm.......do you happen to have the measurements still? :eek:

Thanks so much!!

14. Jun 20, 2011 at 6:57 PM
    david2011sr5

david2011sr5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    take a guess
    MA/VT
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 4x4
    afe pro dry, weather tech floor liners,5100's on all four corners@ 0, eibach 620 coils. toytec 3/4" spacer driver/s & passenger/s, rear spring tsb w/toytec 1" blocks, 4runner sport wheels, in channel vent visors, 1.25 spidertrax wheel spacers on the front, Wet Okole's, smity tow hook.
    The access cab was the only option for me when buying my tacoma. I don't like the look of the double cab. Imo they should have stuck with the pre-09 rear seat setup, way more useful.

15. Jun 20, 2011 at 7:10 PM
    jpmorrisvb

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    Clazzio seat covers, KB Voodoo Powder Coated Tailgate Cap, OEM running boards, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, 35% Tinted windows, EGR window vents, color matched door handles and tail gate lift, WeatherTech FloorLiners, OEM bed mat, sound dampening on rear wall and rear doors, on anytime foglight mod
    I looked at the '08 and liked the setup. Didn't even look at the back of the '10 when I bought it. I knew that I wanted to go from a regular cab ('06) to the access cab.

I made amends to suit my needs.

16. Jun 20, 2011 at 7:14 PM
    jpmorrisvb

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    Ask and you will receive. Pretty much lucked out my first try. Upper legs fit just outside the seat sides on the ledge and the lower legs sit just inside the sill.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Jun 20, 2011 at 7:28 PM
    GuapOh

GuapOh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 4x4 MT
    Skid Plate, Hood Protector, Wheel Locks, Snugtop XV, Yakima Rack, Weathertechs, Sick Speed Shifter, Avid Bumper, Avid Sliders, Bilstien 5100's, TSB Spring packs

Tru dat.

18. Jun 21, 2011 at 4:42 AM
    ToyTaco

ToyTaco For the Retards, Im a Female

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristin
    Newark, DE
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD Sport 4x4 modified
    What I have done. It was thrown together in 4 hours, so its getting redone this winter, but just an idea because I didnt want to lose my back seat

[​IMG]

19. Jun 21, 2011 at 4:51 AM
    Namyo

Namyo -

Member:
    mine is fulled wif boom boom :anonymous: can squeeze a small dog or 7year old back there wit em :cool:

20. Jun 21, 2011 at 11:09 AM
    anethema

anethema Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Dawson Creek,BC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OR Access cab 4x4
    ARB Bumper,OEM Roof rack modded for access cab, Allpro Rock Sliders,Icon Adjustable coilovers,More Tie Downs in bed, Firestone Airbags in rear,Block heater
    Ya agreed on the old interior. It is about 100x as functional.

[​IMG]

Folds right down into a platform. Bunch of storage. (I keep my jack stuff, jumper cables, winch controller cable, several other things in there). Passenger seat folds into a table like platform.

I throw a blanket thing over the platform and dog goes back there no problem. Great design for an access cab IMO. As someone mentioned I bought the access cab so I don't have to taxi people around.

Maybe you can find someone with the old interior who will swap parts with you. I saw a lot of people talking about wanting the later interior for some reason, so good chance you could find someone.

Products Discussed in

To Top