1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Access Cab vs Double Cab

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by lexusoftrucks, Jan 17, 2007.

1. Feb 2, 2007 at 8:12 AM
    RAPOM

RAPOM Well-Known Member

Member:
    Yeah, sorry to say I am. Not to hijack the thread, I was thinking there is no electronics in that accsess door maybe some of that spray expandable foam thru a small hole would quiet them down? On the other subject being active duty during war is not as romantic as the movies make it out to be. I am going to try that foam and let you know how it goes. Then I will start a thread asking advice on how to chisel it all out! LOL!

2. Feb 2, 2007 at 4:16 PM
    PackPike

PackPike Member

Member:
    For me the double cab was the only way to go and I couldn't be happier with my purchase. With a 6 month old son, 2 dogs and a wife who never wants to drive, I had to have 4 doors and we've got PLENTY of room with the double cab.

I've started noticing the 07 model appears to even have more than the previous ones. the width of the back doors versus a 2006 look bigger and thay may not translate to more room but it sure looks that way.

I'd also add that then buying process isn't as bad as it used to be. do your research, contact their internet sales manager, and close a deal for close to if not under invoice...i wouldn't waste time in the showroom until the deal is done!

3. Feb 2, 2007 at 10:04 PM
    Ldytaco05

Ldytaco05 it's all about me

Member:
    Orlando, Fl.
    Vehicle:
    2005 PreRunner,Enkei Wheels
    or what you're trying to say "you're girlfriend is your wife" or wife by day girlfriend at night? i don't know i guess to each is own. if you're happy that's all that matters

4. Feb 4, 2007 at 4:50 AM
    canoe

canoe Member

Member:
    My Taco is a double cab, long bed. The extra space and comfort afforded the passengers in the rear seat greatly outweighs the hit we take in gas mileage. Towing capacity is wonderful too. The kids (7-, 10-years old) have no complaints now, and shouldn't ever. However, we do limit the use of this vehicle, and use our older 4-cylinder Toyota truck for most of the miles we drive.

5. Feb 7, 2007 at 2:19 PM
    moses

moses New Member

Member:
  6. Feb 8, 2007 at 8:54 AM
    TRDeity

TRDeity Well-Known Member

Member:
    ATX
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRDpro
    Just b/c they didn't test it doesn't mean it's less safe. :)

7. Feb 8, 2007 at 10:39 AM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    I saw an AccessCab at the local junk yard that was T-Boned by a semi doing 45 MPH. The safety cage was beaten to crap, but it looked like a walk-away accident (there wasn't even any blood in the cab). I never did find what I was looking for - the overhead compass thingy (how's that for a technical brainfart! :) )

8. Oct 21, 2007 at 4:22 AM
    Viper-2

Viper-2 Secret Agent

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner with many mods
    I realize I am ressurecting a really old thread but i just wanted to say that the Access cab in the links has now been rated and it is just as safe as thee double cab. The numbers are even slightly better.

auskip07 likes this.
  9. Oct 21, 2007 at 7:30 AM
    argm31i

argm31i Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have the Access Cab, and the only reason I didn't get the Double Cab is that my wife drives a huge "Inconvenient Truth" SUV (name withheld to protect the innocent), and I don't really ever have to put more than 2 people in my truck (including myself). Also, I'm the low man on the totem pole at work, and end up doing a lot of the stuff a "runner" or "courier" would do, so I have to parallel park a good bit and wanted the long bed but to still be able to put it into a tight space. Otherwise, I've have gone with the Double Cab all day long - it all depends on your personal needs, and if you need to put people back there, the Double Cab is the way to go.

10. Oct 22, 2007 at 10:53 AM
    Critter

Critter Well-Known Member

Member:
    I say Crew if you think you might then get Crew! I made that mistake and it cost me to fix it!

11. Oct 22, 2007 at 11:27 AM
    jgunccrugby

jgunccrugby Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Mount Holly, NC
    Vehicle:
    13 PreRunner SR5 DBL Cab
    Tacoma Seat Covers, Tacoma Kick Guards, Nerf Bars, Front window tint. To come: Bull Bar
    I got the double cab and found it more valuable to me just because of my dog. Its great being able to fold down the seat and not worry about getting hair all over the place. Not to mention how handy it comes in when transporting luggage or things you don't want to get wet in the bed of the truck. Its great for tailgating b/c I can lock everything up.

The DBL cab has exceeded my expectations all the way around.

12. Oct 22, 2007 at 11:40 AM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    Err... I can do all of that with my AccessCab. As a matter of fact, I do all of things with my AccessCab. The only thing I don't do is carry 4 people further than 25 miles - which is part of the reason I got an AccessCab. I am no taxi.
    ;)

13. Oct 22, 2007 at 12:17 PM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    i love the way the seats fold down in the 4 door, its really handy for moving big stuff. i put i a dresser in the back seat with them folded down and didnt have to put it directly on teh cloth which may have torn it

14. Oct 22, 2007 at 1:01 PM
    jgunccrugby

jgunccrugby Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Mount Holly, NC
    Vehicle:
    13 PreRunner SR5 DBL Cab
    Tacoma Seat Covers, Tacoma Kick Guards, Nerf Bars, Front window tint. To come: Bull Bar
    All I can say is that the folded down seats make for one very happy rottie.
    Between her (the dog), tailgating, and having to haul crap for the girlfriend they spend more time folded down than in the seating position.

I will be honest with you though... I bought my tacoma after getting rid of a single cab s-10 that I had for almost 11 years. Anything was going to be an improvement. I got tired of having to take two vehicles any time I wanted to go anywhere and take the dog.

15. Oct 22, 2007 at 1:01 PM
    TRDeity

TRDeity Well-Known Member

Member:
    ATX
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRDpro
    My thoughts exactly

16. Oct 23, 2007 at 4:03 PM
    bbarian333

bbarian333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    06, Accesss Cab, TRD Sport
    TRD exh, K&N drop in,TRD seat cvrs,tsb springs
    A double cab tells the world that your married with kids. An access cab says that you might be single.

specter208 likes this.
  17. Oct 23, 2007 at 5:48 PM
    Toy4Life

Toy4Life 668: The Neighbor of the Beast

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Slippery Rock, PA
    Vehicle:
    96 Subaru Outback 2.2 5mt
    92 4Runner SR5 3.0v6 4x4(sold) 02 Tacoma SR5 TRD Offroad 4x4 (sold)
    I am married with kids, not ashamed of it, and I wish I had the double cab!
    Got no room in the budget for it. When I do find the $, my dilemma will be long bed or short bed. I prefer the appearance of the short bed, my wife prefers the long bed.

18. Oct 23, 2007 at 6:20 PM
    swede31188

swede31188 Well-Known Member

Member:
    sierras
    Vehicle:
    07 trd sport ex.cab 4x4
    kn cold air intake,flowmaster cat back dual exhaust, dee-zee bedmat, extreme custom fit floor mats ,
    ether motor trend or car and driver wrote up a good article on the dbl cab cornering bad truck good

19. Oct 23, 2007 at 7:52 PM
    prclements

prclements Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Columbus, GA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road DC 4x4 SR5 Tow
    Running boards, bed mat
    I have a 2 year old and I can't imagine how a 20-45 lb car seat could fit comfortably in anything less than a double cab. As it is now, she props her feet up on the back of the front seats. Of course, this requires that I have a towel in the back seat to wipe off feet before I put her in the car seat...

20. Oct 23, 2007 at 8:13 PM
    sawdust

sawdust Unapologetic Texan

Member:
    Frisco, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad Radiant Red V6 Auto DC
    Homelink mirror, tailgate lock, 2ndary air filter removal, Access LE tonneau, Bugflector II, hitch-based bed extender, vent visors, suspension TSB, stall mat
    Really? Did they say what they expected, what they compared with? I'm quite happy with the way my truck corners -- better than I expected. Now, I'm expecting it to act like a lifted truck, not a sports car.

If the truck had been up to me, for a commuter vehicle, I would have chosen the access cab to avoid being a taxi, but I am married with kids and need the space for them. I might have liked the long bed, but it would have been even tighter to get it in my garage, and since the dealer only had short beds in stock, it was a negotiating point.

Products Discussed in

To Top