1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

accident :( ... need recommendations/advice

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by AsianAnts, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Jan 7, 2012 at 11:59 AM
    AsianAnts

AsianAnts [OP] just an AnT

Member:
    First Name:
    AnT
    Southern California (San Diego County)
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner TRD Sport L/B Grey Metallic
    -Satoshi Grille Upper/Lower/Triangles -LED Map Lights, LED Dome Light, LED License Plate Lights -No front license -Wet Okole -Weather Techs (digi) -Running Boards -Bed Extender -AFE Cold Air Intake 2SI Dry Filter -Tailgate Hose-Clamp Mod, Tailgate washer Mod -Combi chain lock on bed extender -no chime w/ key in ignition & open door -Fog Light anytime -Slim Cubby's 3kHID fog -bumper plugs -keyhole plug -TRD license plate frame -combi-lock storage -rear TSB -window tint -camera mod -Painted radiator/engine covers -LS460 RetroFit -Bed Tie-Downs -LED Gauge Cluster, radio, clock and AC -Bed Mat -Extra DRings -Painted center console, radio unit, ac panel, overhead console.
    so i got into an accident yesterday. I kissed the back of a GMC sierra 1500... right on his tow hitch area. no damage to his truck.. but mine has a busted lip!

pic only shows surface damage. there are some internal damage (metal bent, broken tabs, etc) finance/budget is not on my side... I have full coverage and i believe a $500 deductible.

What should i do??! please keep in mind that $$$ is not on my side, so no crazy aftermarker bumper armour etc...not only that, my truck is a not a 4x4 ;).... but thats beside the case.. anyways, requesting any advice/tips/recommendations. thank you

-AnT

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2012-01-06 16.01.42.jpg
    2012-01-06 16.02.03.jpg
    2012-01-06 16.03.36.jpg

2. Jan 7, 2012 at 12:16 PM
    zul

zul Professional Goofball

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite Mica DCSB SR5 4WD V6 AT
    HAVE: Bed mat, Tailgate Lock, Color-matched Grille, Weathertech Floor Liners, Avid Step Rails, RokBlokz mud flaps WANT: Rear Plate Bumper, Steel bed cage
    Best bet would be to take it to a few shops, get an estimate for the damage, and have insurance pay for it sans deductible. Downside is you will be out $500 and have an at-fault accident on your record. Upside is you will have a new-looking truck.

Other option is to just drive it like that. Looks like its fairly minor damage - cosmetic only. It drives fine right? Downside is your truck will continue to have a busted lip, upside is it wont cost you anything. If you fix it later on down the line when you get some money, it shouldnt affect your re-sale value.

3. Jan 7, 2012 at 12:20 PM
    dweezy

dweezy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Norfolk
    Vehicle:
    2001 SR5 4x4
    Gibson Exhaust, LineX'ed bed, Blacked out chrome, sony xplod head unit, 12" kicker in ported box powered by kicker 250w amp.
    i would order a new one from toyota... has to be less than $500 and you wont have an insurance claim.. then put it on yourself

4. Jan 7, 2012 at 12:23 PM
    Special_K

Special_K o_o

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddie
    Alexandria, VA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma Cav Blue
  5. Jan 7, 2012 at 12:25 PM
    GA_TACO4x4

GA_TACO4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    here 'n there
    Vehicle:
    07 DCSB 4x4
    marathon superhide max-4 seat covers, weathertechs, maglite mod, 20% tint, 2" leveling kit, leaf spring tsb.
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  6. Jan 7, 2012 at 12:25 PM
    jjw1

jjw1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Citrus County Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 Super White DCSB TRD OR PreRunner
    Weather Tech Floor Liners, Truxedo Bed Cover, OEM Silver Step Bars, Debadged, Colormatched Satoshi, Wet Okoles, OEM Roof Rack, Bed Mat, Locking Gas Cap, and removed Mud Flaps
    pm colinb17, he has the metal bar that goes behind the bumper. He also has a SWB bumper you could get painted.

7. Jan 7, 2012 at 12:29 PM
    acdronin

acdronin Well-Known Member

Member:
    I'd bet you could find someone here that has their old bumper laying around for a lot less than the $500 deductible, besides, I wouldn't want the accident on my insurance.

8. Jan 7, 2012 at 1:13 PM
    ROGU3 PR3DATOR

ROGU3 PR3DATOR Space Shuttle Door Gunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Alamogordo, New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    MGM 2011 TRD Off-Road
    Lifted, Supercharged, Armored, and lots more
  9. Jan 7, 2012 at 1:32 PM
    The1youluv2hate

The1youluv2hate Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peps
    SAnta Paula CA
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD sPort 4x4 (11mgmsport)
    oem pro grill 17” pro rep wheels Fox dsc shocks
    I seen a few On Craigslist

Remove the bumper cover see what's broken

10. Jan 7, 2012 at 2:16 PM
    AsianAnts

Member:
    First Name:
    AnT
    Vehicle:
    -Satoshi Grille Upper/Lower/Triangles -LED Map Lights, LED Dome Light, LED License Plate Lights -No front license -Wet Okole -Weather Techs (digi) -Running Boards -Bed Extender -AFE Cold Air Intake 2SI Dry Filter -Tailgate Hose-Clamp Mod, Tailgate washer Mod -Combi chain lock on bed extender -no chime w/ key in ignition & open door -Fog Light anytime -Slim Cubby's 3kHID fog -bumper plugs -keyhole plug -TRD license plate frame -combi-lock storage -rear TSB -window tint -camera mod -Painted radiator/engine covers -LS460 RetroFit -Bed Tie-Downs -LED Gauge Cluster, radio, clock and AC -Bed Mat -Extra DRings -Painted center console, radio unit, ac panel, overhead console.
    soo if i do the deductible that means its on my insurance.. what if i just called them ?? or what if the other part called them?

11. Jan 7, 2012 at 2:48 PM
    sparkhill

sparkhill Well-Known Member

Member:
    It only goes on your insurance history if you make a claim. The other downside of making a claim is that the insurance company will probably report the damage to Carfax and Autocheck. Keep some photos in case they report front collision and a future buyer wonders about the severity of the accident. Your accident is minor and bumper resprays do not diminish resale values. If you get lucky and find the right take-off bumper, you might not even need to repaint it.

12. Jan 7, 2012 at 5:00 PM
    AsianAnts

Member:
    First Name:
    AnT
    Vehicle:
    make a claim... meaning pay the deductible and what not? kuz what i did was i just simply called them and told them i was in an accident.. and gave them the other party's insurance info and what not.. thats it..

13. Jan 7, 2012 at 5:16 PM
    acdronin

Member:
    Honestly, if their is no damage to the other truck and the other party doesn't want to make a claim you can decline to make a claim, call the adjuster and ask them whether or not the other party wants to make a claim, if not, you can not make one yourself and just replace your bumper.

14. Jan 7, 2012 at 5:23 PM
    AsianAnts

Member:
    First Name:
    AnT
    Vehicle:
    well you see, i dont know if he wants to make a claim or not.. i tried to talk him out of swapping insurance info and what not because it was not necessary. there was absolutely no damage to his truck... but who knows, maybe he might get shady and try to bust a quick one on me.. i took pics just in case...

as of right now i guess i need to wait till Monday when work resumes.

15. Jan 7, 2012 at 5:26 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    Sound like a great time for a nice STEEL bumper.

16. Jan 7, 2012 at 5:26 PM
    kimo

kimo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Knuckle Head
    Kauai
    Vehicle:
    09 Super White TRD Sport DCLB 4X4!
    I think when you called and gave info etc.....you did open a claim? hope im wrong, cause this is so minor and an easy thing to fix yourself. IMO

17. Jan 7, 2012 at 5:28 PM
    acdronin

Member:
    No damage to his rig at all? I would call the adjuster and tell them that, tell them you don't want to file a claim if you don't need to, hell you can hang another bumper on there for less than your deductible. Most times adjusters are willing to be somewhat flexible. If they say the other party wants to file a claim then tell the adjuster you're calling BS and offer to send them the pics you took.

18. Jan 7, 2012 at 5:29 PM
    AsianAnts

Member:
    First Name:
    AnT
    Vehicle:
    shoot.. i didnt think about that.....if that is the case, i wonder if i can call and cancel everything i said and just wait to see what the other party does..

i think i shouldve done that - wait to see what action the other party takes instead of calling my insurance and telling them i was in an accident

19. Jan 7, 2012 at 5:31 PM
    AsianAnts

Member:
    First Name:
    AnT
    Vehicle:
    yea, none at all..... at most just paint chip on the tow hitch.

20. Jan 7, 2012 at 5:32 PM
    acdronin

Member:
    No no, you did the right thing, don't worry about it, work with your adjuster and see what happens. I've been around insurance all my life, just tell the adjuster want you want to do and see what they come up with.

Products Discussed in

To Top