1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Accident = no warranty?

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by TacoOwner?, Dec 28, 2009.

1. Dec 28, 2009 at 9:48 AM
    TacoOwner?

TacoOwner? [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joshua
    Camas/Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    '10 4x4 Double Cab 6M
    Anti-thief tailgate, anytime rear-view camera, anytime locker mod
    So I took my Corolla into the dealership to get some warranty work done. I was told that I had a rear main seal leak last time I was in there. This morning I got a call from the service department asking if my car has been in an accident. I told her, that in 2007 it was in an accident.

The lady told me that because it was in an accident, the warranty is no longer valid. On top of that, she told me she was not sure where the leak was coming from...? They would have to take the tranny off and start there... Why the hell did you tell me it was a rear main seal if you didnt know!?

Can they do this?

I bought the extended Warranty, so I am going to ask that they prorate the warranty and give me my money back.

Josh

2. Dec 28, 2009 at 9:56 AM
    SC4333

SC4333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    FL
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 2016 TRD Off-Road 4x4 DCSB
    That doesn't sound right, but I wouldn't be too surprised if they could pull that out of their sleeve.

As for the prorate, I recent had this done with my extended warranty and was given back $1100. They will prorate the warranty from the time you file the request to the end of the warranty.

3. Dec 28, 2009 at 10:07 AM
    TacoOwner?

Member:
    First Name:
    Joshua
    Camas/Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    '10 4x4 Double Cab 6M
    Thank you for the info, I will file today. should I just call or should I go down there and talk to someone about all this?

Josh

4. Dec 28, 2009 at 10:11 AM
    pataco

pataco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Down by the lake
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 trd dc white
    FOX 2.0 RESIS,LRUCAS,BILLY 5100S ON THE REAR.MAGNAFLOW 11264,COLOR MATCHED GRILL,YELLOW FOG MOD.OVER HEAD DVD,FEDERAL COURAGIA M/T
    this sounds a little shady. :popcorn:

5. Dec 28, 2009 at 10:15 AM
    TacoOwner?

Member:
    First Name:
    Joshua
    Camas/Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    '10 4x4 Double Cab 6M
    Agreed, does anyone know how I can verify this?

Josh

6. Dec 28, 2009 at 10:23 AM
    warpwr

warpwr Junior Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vaughn
    S.F. Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    09 Sport Access Cab
    DRL mod with switch, rear spring TSB, trans TSB, tailgate mod, snug-top shell.
    1. Go to a different dealer and complain about the leak. When they ask you if its been in a wreck tell them no. Or ask your local non-Toyota Corolla shop if they can do warranty work. Sometimes they can and they probably won't care if its been crunched or not, just wanting the work.

2. I bought an extended warranty on my '02 Camaro and never used it. They gave me money back at the end of the warranty period like $1200 or so.

7. Dec 28, 2009 at 12:00 PM
    SC4333

SC4333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    FL
    Vehicle:
    You'll have to take a trip to the dealership that you purchased the truck from. Just go in and speak to the financing manager and they will take care of you. Its just a simple from that they fill out and send it to the insurance company. If you have a lien on the truck, the prorated refund will go directly to the lien holder and paid towards the principle balance of the loan.

It took all of about 15 minutes for me to get everything taken care of.

Good luck!

8. Dec 28, 2009 at 12:02 PM
    SC4333

SC4333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    FL
    Vehicle:
    If they gave you that much back, I would venture to say you paid a fortune for that extended warranty, otherwise they wouldn't be in business. IMO, the best insurance company is your own.

9. Dec 28, 2009 at 1:02 PM
    warpwr

warpwr Junior Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vaughn
    S.F. Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    09 Sport Access Cab
    DRL mod with switch, rear spring TSB, trans TSB, tailgate mod, snug-top shell.
    You get all the money back if you never use it for 60 months. That's the Money Back guarantee part.

I've got the same plan for the '09 Tacoma.
    It's called Toyota Platinum Extra care or something and is administered by National Administrative Dealer Services (NADS). The dealer actually pays you back apparently.

I paid $1200 for the Camaro warranty in 2002 and this one cost $1995 this year.
    The trick is to keep the car for the whole 5 years, never use the warranty and then remember that you even have a warranty.
    Then you have to apply for the refund within 60 days of the exact expiration date, be the registered owner, you have to prove the car is still registered to you.
    And the selling dealership has to sign off on it that no warranty work was ever performed.

10. Dec 28, 2009 at 1:08 PM
    raskal311

raskal311 Well-Known Member

Member:
    S. Cal
    5100 set to max, pending LSD and TRD CAI
    Why would they refund you so much jsut because you didn't use it? They make their money hoping you dont ever use it; I dont get this logic at all. 60 days proreated of 1825 days should only be $65.

11. Dec 28, 2009 at 2:14 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    How does that not sound right?? The car gets into an accident- and the part was damaged as a result...Why should the warranty be on the hook for that part??

If you ECU dies after a minor fender bender- that's one thing. But without knowing more about the accident it's hard to say that the dealer is being shady.

12. Dec 28, 2009 at 2:30 PM
    tomonian77

tomonian77 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Thomas
    Magnolia, TX
    Vehicle:
    2008 PR DC 4.0
    Painted Rims Black, Painted Emblems Black, Aftermarket Stereo, Grillcraft, BHLM, K&N CAI
    If you get into an accident while the vehicle is under warranty you have to take it to the dealership to get cleared. If the dealership clears the vehicle then any malfunction after that is still covered under warranty. I know this because I was involved in an accident 2 months after I purchased my truck. The dealership looked over the truck and verified nothing was wrong. I have since been in to have warranty repairs done with no issues.

13. Dec 28, 2009 at 2:38 PM
    MurphMan

MurphMan Senility Rocks!

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    '08 Tacoma TRD Sport
    * AFE Stage 2 XP CAI System * Westin Platinum Series Black Step Bars * TruXedo Lo Pro QT Soft Roll-Up Tonneau * Dee Zee Heavyweight Truck Bed Mat * WeatherTech Extreme-Duty Floor Liners * WeatherTech In-Channel Window Visors * Sony Xplod CDX-GT81UW Receiver * Sony Xplod 2-way speakers * Boss Audio BASS600 Amplified Subwoofer * Billet Grille Mod
    Guessing you didn't have Toyota fix the accident damage or at least recertify the car's integrity? If not then I can see why they pulled that card on you.

14. Dec 28, 2009 at 3:07 PM
    TacoOwner?

Member:
    First Name:
    Joshua
    Camas/Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    '10 4x4 Double Cab 6M
    I learned something new today

that is correct

15. Dec 28, 2009 at 5:34 PM
    MurphMan

MurphMan Senility Rocks!

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    '08 Tacoma TRD Sport
    * AFE Stage 2 XP CAI System * Westin Platinum Series Black Step Bars * TruXedo Lo Pro QT Soft Roll-Up Tonneau * Dee Zee Heavyweight Truck Bed Mat * WeatherTech Extreme-Duty Floor Liners * WeatherTech In-Channel Window Visors * Sony Xplod CDX-GT81UW Receiver * Sony Xplod 2-way speakers * Boss Audio BASS600 Amplified Subwoofer * Billet Grille Mod
    Bummer - hard lesson to deal with. Maybe you can get the paperwork from the accident and work with your dealer showing them that the accident wasn't the cause. Maybe split the cost, even ask for an arbitrator. Play the loyal customer card, I have seen that one work before at dealerships that do care about its customers. Good luck on this one.

16. Dec 28, 2009 at 5:44 PM
    4low2go

4low2go Well-Known Member

Member:
    Coatesville, PA
    Vehicle:
    10 RC 4x4 5sp MGM
    Curt hitch, OBX Shift
    I was rear ended hard while stopped at a light in my 98 Wrangler at about 5000 miles, and the rear main seal started leaking within a few weeks. Luckily the dealer repaired it under warranty. A heavy front or rear impact can do it.

17. Dec 29, 2009 at 10:37 AM
    TacoOwner?

Member:
    First Name:
    Joshua
    Camas/Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    '10 4x4 Double Cab 6M
    Transmission and rear main are next to each other, you have to take off the trany to check the rear main. When they got the trany off they found the problem. When I had the clutch put in, by "clutch doctor" on fourth plain in Vancouver, WA they may have installed something incorrectly, or not put it back together correctly.

There are 4 dowels that keep the clutch and flywheel aligned, well two of those dowels came out and have been floating around and tearing the inside of my transmission. One spot was hit so hard it caused a hairline crack which gives us the leak we were looking for.

My question now, can I hold that shop reliable? I had that thing put in around 15k-20k and am now sitting at 56k...about 2 years later.

Josh

18. Dec 29, 2009 at 10:54 AM
    pataco

pataco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Down by the lake
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 trd dc white
    FOX 2.0 RESIS,LRUCAS,BILLY 5100S ON THE REAR.MAGNAFLOW 11264,COLOR MATCHED GRILL,YELLOW FOG MOD.OVER HEAD DVD,FEDERAL COURAGIA M/T
    now that makes sence.ive learned something to.great reply.

19. Dec 29, 2009 at 11:19 AM
    TacoOwner?

Member:
    First Name:
    Joshua
    Camas/Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    '10 4x4 Double Cab 6M
    ^^ agreed. I am sure if I am in an accident my insurance will be involved and since they will be paying I will take it to the Toyota Collision Center in Portland. If I dont have that option I will just get it repaired and run it by Toyota next time. Thanks again!

Josh

Products Discussed in

To Top