1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ACME switchbacks

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Thirty8special, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Sep 9, 2017 at 9:50 AM
    Thirty8special

Thirty8special [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    AL
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma SR
    Grill, lights, wheels & tires
    I purchased a set of ACME switchbacks with the morimoto HD resistors from the retrofit source and installed them this morning. I drive a 2017 access cab SR. I used my fluke multimeter to check everything before installing and all looked good... until I drove the truck. Sitting in my shop with the ignition on but truck not running the white LED's illuminated when the light stalk was on the parking light setting. Obviously the DRL setting didn't work because @moe2o4 poited out to me the truck won't turn the DRL's on until a sequence of events takes place. For me it's to take the truck out of park. Anywho the turn signals didn't hyper flash and once the turn signals stopped the lights switched back to white LED. When I pulled out of the shop I stopped in front of the office window and noticed that the lights were back to amber... after playing with the lights for a minute I see that whenever I fire the truck up and put it into drive the lights will be white for ahout 10 seconds and then they switch to amber and won't ever go back white. Pretty unhappy with my purchase so far... didn't know if anybody else has used ACME switchbacks in an SR with similar issues? Didn't want to spend the $ on the VLEDS but now I think it would have been worth it as I just have glorified stock amber lights

moe2o4 likes this.
  2. Sep 9, 2017 at 10:26 AM
    Thirty8special

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    AL
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma SR
    Just found buried on the retrofit source's webpage under another switchback bulb (3157) that they say "There is known issues with how the factory wiring functions using the ACME switchback bulbs. Because of these known issues, we cannot recommend them for Ford or Tacoma / Tundra vehicles at this time." So my fault for not researching deep enough on these bulbs... there went $50!

3. Sep 9, 2017 at 11:50 AM
    Siblue

Siblue Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    22 Tundra
    Only 2gen Tacomas have an issue with wiring due to CK base bulbs.
    Our trucks use 7440/7443 bulbs depending on trim.

4. Sep 9, 2017 at 1:31 PM
    Garyji

Garyji Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Western North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2016 BR SR5 DCSB V6 4WD. TRD Pro 17's, BFG KO2's
    Glad you got it figured out. I was about to give you some grief for another "I wired up some shit and now my truck's broke" threads.

G. :D

5. Sep 9, 2017 at 5:28 PM
    Thirty8special

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    AL
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma SR
    I purchased the 7443 bulbs but they do not function right on some "clicks" of the light stalk. When on DRL they are always amber, I found out that they are the white LED when the headlights are on as well, so that's a small plus. Little annoying but again my fault for not researching well enough before purchase. Retrofit source just didn't have the disclaimer on the 7443 bulbs when I purchased so I blindly went with them

6. Sep 21, 2017 at 8:34 PM
    Murrayb4

Murrayb4 Internet Toyota Tech

Member:
    Downingtown, PA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Blazing Blue TRD Sport DCSB with 3 pedals
    Custom cracked windshield
    SR and SR5, if originally equipped with DRLs have a dual Filament bulb that use the high wattage filiment for the DRLs, when replaced with switchbacks will only run Amber until headlights are on. (The amber is the higher wattage of the two circuits)

Go into the radio menu, go to setup, vehicle, light settings, and disable DRLs.
    They will now illuminate white with the parking lights, and headlights, then flash amber, then back to white when the turn signals cancel.
    Setting the stalk to DRL mode does nothing anymore, but switch up to parking lights and you’ll get the white running light you’re looking for.

Forgive the snowy gas pump photos from last January when I realized this trick. Lol

FFC40A21-AB7D-4A91-B08F-24F892B7B5F0.jpg
    40B71E71-8DE7-4EDF-B82A-1DA37A7DBCA9.jpg

House Forsaken likes this.
  7. Sep 22, 2017 at 6:52 PM
    Thirty8special

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    AL
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma SR
    That's awesome that you found that trick! I was messing with my truck tonight and tried to find those settings but I believe with my truck being bottom of the barrel trim I don't have the right head unit. If I remember correctly the SR has the plain "entune" while the SR5 has the "entune audio plus"
    dash.jpg

8. Sep 23, 2017 at 2:07 PM
    Murrayb4

Murrayb4 Internet Toyota Tech

Member:
    Downingtown, PA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Blazing Blue TRD Sport DCSB with 3 pedals
    Custom cracked windshield
    damn, that sucks they eliminate that feature from the SR's...i forget if the scan tool was another option for disabling them...

9. Sep 23, 2017 at 2:13 PM
    Thirty8special

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    AL
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma SR
    Yep! A few things bug me about the SR but I have been able to fix them myself up to this point (cruise control, intermittent wipers, etc.)! I have started to look into apps/OBD2 readers that allow you to customize the truck such as Carista.

This thread (post #4) shows a list of what they claim can be adjusted.. https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/carista.457895/

don't see why it wouldn't work on my truck?

Products Discussed in

To Top