1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Actually, I think Im pretty stupid..

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by 3.4PDM, Apr 3, 2010.

1. Apr 3, 2010 at 12:48 AM
    3.4PDM

3.4PDM [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Man I have been thinking about this for about a week now.. Sell my 97 4x4 SR5 with ABS, Sunroof, rear locker V6 122K miles and get a white 1997 4x4 SR5 sunroof NO ABS, and NO rear locker with 108K miles on it for about the same price.. Did I mention my black one currently has a 3 inch lift, brand new BFG's on moto metal wheels, Satellite radio, optional fender flares, Leer Camper shell and sweet Flowmaster 50 SUV muffler that sounds outstanding...
    And a chassis that is rust and corrosion free?

So why do this? Well, the white one has nice paint and the black one has really crappy paint. Lower miles, one owner some corrosion on the axle and tidbits here and there on the chassis..

My black one also has the regular shift lever for the 4WD while the white one has the push button one touch 4WD hi..

Sigh... I know I asked this before.. even ran a poll and it came out overwhelmingly in favor of getting the white SR5

Do you all still feel the same way or am I missing something..:confused:

2. Apr 3, 2010 at 1:54 AM
    Kmoney

Kmoney Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Bend, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '17 DCSB TRD OR
    White dog
    It's going to be hard to try and help you either way...

Is this new truck so appealing to you that it's worth giving up what you already have with your old truck? Is it worth the money and losing all that you've put into your current truck? Especially since your current rig has the rear locker and this new one does not... how often has it come in handy?

If it's worth it, then yes, trade. This is about the best advice I have to offer, other than just simply wishing you good luck with your decision! ;)

3. Apr 3, 2010 at 5:54 AM
    saweetlou

saweetlou Well-Known Member

Member:
    Guelph Ontario
    Vehicle:
    TRD Dbl cab long bed
    3in spacer
    You already know your truck and where its been, what do you know about the new one. Trust me Ive been there done that and wished I stayed with my old truck.
    I Say Keep Yours, besides how much is a paint job, its probably cheaper than buying new tires and rims a lift kit a camper shell and the exhaust your going to end up doing on the new truck.

4. Apr 3, 2010 at 5:57 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Yeah...A decent paint job is cheap compared all those mods and having history with your current truck.

But really- only you can make the call if it's worth it to you or not.....

5. Apr 3, 2010 at 7:38 AM
    3.4PDM

Member:
    yeah, the thing is, I bought my current truck this way.. I didnt add a thing.. Its also black which I really like but im wondering about the summer and it being hot. The white one is in excellent shape paint wise with all original graphics etc.

As far as the locker goes, honestly, I live in San Jose, don't go skiing or hard core off roading but its nice to have it there.. even if its only in my mind that I would ever use it.

a paint job out here is expensive. California has always been that way due to epa regulations.

Then again part of me really likes that I dont have to worry about the paint getting scratched..

lol... see? I drive myself crazy! And I do appreciate your opinions, they DO help me see it from a different perspective..

6. Apr 3, 2010 at 7:45 AM
    3.4PDM

Member:
    And actually, I would have done the mods differently. Although the lift works, its a very cheap and not properly done lift. The CV joints are at bad angles and the rear leaf springs are not done well. It works but barely.

Yeah, my current truck has a lot of mods, but they are older and not done the way I would have done them so I would be doing them over again anyway you look at it.

7. Apr 3, 2010 at 10:58 AM
    Manlaan

Manlaan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Riverton, Utah
    Vehicle:
    2002 XtraCab SR5 V6 4x4 Black
    See Signature
    I vote to keep what you have.

The mileage difference is nothing. For the avg driver, thats only 6 months of mileage. Not enough to worry about.

ABS - well, thats a personal choice there, specially on older models. You either love it or hate it.

Rear Locker - Very situational thing, specially being 4x4. I wouldn't let it be a deciding factor, specially for your use/location.

Paint - Can always be fixed. As you said, there's definitely something to say about having a poor paint job and not having to worry about it. $2000?

The lift - The lift you have now may not be the best, but since the white one doesn't have one, to fix it or lift the white truck would cost the same. $600

wheels & tires - they're new and not cheap. Not sure of the condition of the white trucks, but since it isn't lifted, you'll at least be buying new tires again if you do lift it. $600 wheels/$800 tires

radio - Not a big radio person, so it wouldn't be a consideration for me. Just depends how much you like it. If you do like it, you'll probably want to add something similar to the white truck, so just another expense. $100

shell - Shell can be relocated between vehicles, but it being black would either require it to get painted, get a new one for the white truck, or go with out. $700/Tonneau. $1000+/new shell. ~$250/used shell, if you can find one.

muffler - its not a factory muffler, so if you want the same sound on the white, you're going to be dropping the extra $$$ to get it put on. $300

Prices listed are just complete guesses. If you aren't going to do the work yourself, there's also going to be labor involved as well of course.

So, my conclusion is that to get the white truck to the same point the black one is, it'll cost at least, if not more, than the paint job. Depending on the paint job, it might be considerably more to get the white truck to the same point. And of course the before mentioned... You dont know the true history of the white truck.

The only case I can think of that the white truck comes out ahead is if you would rather have it stock and not going to put a shell on it.

Products Discussed in

To Top