1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Add a Fuse/Circuit

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by JWCWV, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Mar 13, 2012 at 7:31 AM
    cverneau

cverneau Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Cheshire, CT.
    Vehicle:
    11 Access Cab 4cyl 4x4 Auto
    AVS In-Channel Window Deflectors, AVS Rear Window Sun/Rain Deflector, EGR Front Hood Deflector, Weathertech Digital Fit Floor Liners With TRD Off Road Decals, TonnoPro Tri-Fold Cover, Coverking Black Neoprene Front Seat Covers & Front & Rear Center Console Covers, Black With Red Stitched TRD Head Rest Covers, Rear Grey Neoprene Wet Okole Seat Covers, Black Front Door Handle Pull Covers, Husky Custom Molded Mud Flaps, Devil Horns Of Fire On Satoshi, 7" Off Road Lights Mounted Behind Grill, Pop N Lock 5300, Seatbelt Chime Off, Interior & Exterior Led's, Cubby & Drink Holder Amber LED's, Infinity Reference #9633 6X9 Front Speakers, Solar-Gard HP Smoke 35% Tint, De-badged & Pinstripe Removal, Sun Visor Stickers Removed, Illuminated 4x4 Switch, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Ultragauge, TRD Aluminum Skid Plate, Bed Storage Cubby Locks Mod, Additional D-Rings In Bed, Rubber Bed Mat, Intermittent Wiper Stalk, Black Vinyl Arm Rest Mod, Secondary Air Filter Removal Mod, Spare Tire Rod Alignment Tube Mod, 14" Antenna Mod, Tailgate Theft Mod, DTRL Wire Jumper Mod, Parking Lights As Turn Signals Mod, Under Hood LED Strip Lighting Mod, 30 Watt Reverse Bulbs, PIAA 510's With LED's In Fog Locations, Cree LED Flood lights In Rear Bumper, Burner Bedlights In Bed Cubby's, Avid Light Bar, Horn Relocation Mod, Rear TSB Springs, Bilstein 5100's on all four corners - front set at 0.85", Cooper Discoverer ATP - 265-75R/16, Pioneer AVH-X3700BHS Head Unit With Microbypass, Added USB Charging Ports Under Dash.
    That's exactly it.
    Now that I think of it, isnt there some kind of fuse that you can attach a wire to the top of with a female spade connector?? That way, I could just plug in a 2A fuse and run the wire directly to it. I'm almost positive I've seen these, but don't know if they come in the mini fuse type.

And NO - I'm not pulling apart my dash or fuse panel to run wires. I've got enough issues in my life without adding any more headaches. LOL....

Edit - Found the fuse tap - http://www.amazon.com/Wirthco-30800-Mini-Fuse-Kits/dp/B000CQDRTI

2. Mar 13, 2012 at 7:40 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    That'll work! That kit looks to require an existing fuse to 'wrap around' of you will. Check these out:
    http://www.amazon.com/Wirthco-30100..._9?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1331649439&sr=1-9

There is one that plugs directly into one side of a fuse like a spade. I'd go to an auto parts store to make sure you get the correct size. I think the under dash fuse panel uses really small fuses.

3. Mar 13, 2012 at 7:48 AM
    cverneau

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Cheshire, CT.
    Vehicle:
    AVS In-Channel Window Deflectors, AVS Rear Window Sun/Rain Deflector, EGR Front Hood Deflector, Weathertech Digital Fit Floor Liners With TRD Off Road Decals, TonnoPro Tri-Fold Cover, Coverking Black Neoprene Front Seat Covers & Front & Rear Center Console Covers, Black With Red Stitched TRD Head Rest Covers, Rear Grey Neoprene Wet Okole Seat Covers, Black Front Door Handle Pull Covers, Husky Custom Molded Mud Flaps, Devil Horns Of Fire On Satoshi, 7" Off Road Lights Mounted Behind Grill, Pop N Lock 5300, Seatbelt Chime Off, Interior & Exterior Led's, Cubby & Drink Holder Amber LED's, Infinity Reference #9633 6X9 Front Speakers, Solar-Gard HP Smoke 35% Tint, De-badged & Pinstripe Removal, Sun Visor Stickers Removed, Illuminated 4x4 Switch, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Ultragauge, TRD Aluminum Skid Plate, Bed Storage Cubby Locks Mod, Additional D-Rings In Bed, Rubber Bed Mat, Intermittent Wiper Stalk, Black Vinyl Arm Rest Mod, Secondary Air Filter Removal Mod, Spare Tire Rod Alignment Tube Mod, 14" Antenna Mod, Tailgate Theft Mod, DTRL Wire Jumper Mod, Parking Lights As Turn Signals Mod, Under Hood LED Strip Lighting Mod, 30 Watt Reverse Bulbs, PIAA 510's With LED's In Fog Locations, Cree LED Flood lights In Rear Bumper, Burner Bedlights In Bed Cubby's, Avid Light Bar, Horn Relocation Mod, Rear TSB Springs, Bilstein 5100's on all four corners - front set at 0.85", Cooper Discoverer ATP - 265-75R/16, Pioneer AVH-X3700BHS Head Unit With Microbypass, Added USB Charging Ports Under Dash.
    Actually, after doing some quick research online, I think I'll stay away from those taps and stick with what I have. I think too much could potentially go wrong with something like that.
    I actually work for an Electrical / Mechanical shop (I'm the Mechanical side) and the electrical guys said I'm out of my mind using something like that if I have the option to use the AAF.

They jokingly told me I might as well get a small metal shiv or a paper clip to achieve the same thing (with most likely the same outcome).

4. Mar 13, 2012 at 8:05 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Jokes aside, that's all they really are, just a small metal piece jambed into the socket. For low draw they're ok as a last resort because if they wiggle loose and fall out, the connection is broken. For higher amerage uses, no way in hell I'd use one of those :D

5. Mar 13, 2012 at 10:11 AM
    cverneau

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Cheshire, CT.
    Vehicle:
    That's exactly what I'm doing on this install only because of a size constraint in the panel.
    Im installiing it incorrectly so the F1 is powering the entire circuit.
    I'm putting two 2A fuses in - just because the other slot requires a fuse there to allow power through the circuit.
    No matter what, I'm fused for 2A and don't care which one burns, as long as I'm protected by one of the 2A fuses (I understand the weaker of the two will snap first and leave the other intact).

I'm only doing this in this location as nothing is in that slot on the panel - the only thing to be fused is my AAF.

6. Mar 13, 2012 at 11:15 AM
    cverneau

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Cheshire, CT.
    Vehicle:
    By looking at your photo, I'd say that was installed incorrectly.
    On mine, the wire coming out of the AAF has to be on the top. If you remove the fuse that's in slot #1 (or "a") on your AAF and plug this back in, you shouldn't have power getting to the other fuse on the AAF -which means the fuse in slot #1 is powering the whole circuit.
    Check yours when you get a chance.
    To install this correctly, you should be able to have power to slot #2 without a fuse in #1 - If not, then rotate your AAF (wire coming out on top).

I could be completely wrong, but I would think all fuses in the panel would have the hot side all on the same side - either the top or the bottom. I don't see how or why they would mix them, but who knows....

7. Mar 13, 2012 at 11:52 AM
    cverneau

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Cheshire, CT.
    Vehicle:
    If you don't have two fuses in your AAF, then Toyota must wire the hot side to the three rows on the panel differently.
    Or maybe they did them differently for different years.
    I also have an access cab, so tonight i'll try that fuse location as that would also work for what I need. I think I have a fuse installed in that location, so I'll check if that's for the rear power windows. If it is for the rear power windows, why would they install a fuse there on an access cab?? Why not leave it blank like the one I found in the top row??
    I really don't want to bend the wire coming out of the AAF too tightly and that spot would work well...I'll let you know what I find...

8. Mar 13, 2012 at 4:56 PM
    cverneau

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Cheshire, CT.
    Vehicle:
    Okay, my fuse panel edumacation is now complete...

The top two rows on the fuse panel have the hot pins in the same location. The lower row has the hot pins on the opposite leg.
    When using an AAF in the top two rows, the wire will face up. When using in the bottom row, the wire will face down. Glad to see Toyota be consistent.....

Anywhooooo, the Access Cab has two fuses installed for no reason - the driver and passenger side rear window fuses. No idea why they put these two fuses in unless they assemble them early and don't know which model they'll be used in. These two can be used for anything that would need power only when the ignition is on and the truck is running. I plan on using one of these for another AAF for my bed lights once I get around to installing them.

There are four blanks - one in the upper row (which has power) and three in the bottom row (which do not have power).

I kept my AAF in the top blank with power and left it installed correctly with just the one fuse in the AAF. The reason I kept it here is that for some reason the blank only has power when you turn your running lights on. I'm assuming this has something to do with the stock location of fogs, which my base model truck doesn't have.
    I'm using this location for a switch which turns on my fog/driving lights (PIAA 510's).
    By leaving it here, I can only turn on my PIAA lights when my running lights are on. I can have them on for just the running, normal driving or high beam lights, but the PIAA's turn off when I turn off all my lights or turn off the engine - whichever comes first - so this acts as a safety mechanism for me so I won't drain the battery if I forget to turn them off.

I also didn't install the AAF incorrectly as I wanted because I assume there's wiring somewhere that's tied to this blank fuse - why else would there be power to it? By installing the AAF correctly, I'm not completing the original circuit as i'm not putting a fuse in slot #1 and only using slot #2 of the AAF. I didn't want to complete the original circuit as I don't know how they tied off any unconnected wires (if they're even there at all).

So, thanks to everyone for all their information, I learned just enough today to get myself into trouble...

9. Mar 13, 2012 at 5:59 PM
    teamfast

teamfast Get busy living, or get busy dying.

Member:
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    Vehicle:
    '10 DCLB
    BFG AT TKO2s 34 x 10.5 x17, Leer 550 Tonneau cover, weather tech digi fit liners, Viper 5901 remote start/security, 2" fr spacer, 3" TC AAL, All Pro IFS skid plate, Trans skid plate & Transfer Case skid plate, 12" roof mounted flip down dvd player, In channel vent visors.
    The four empty slots in this picture reflects mine. There is NO power to any of these ign on or off.

I have one empty slot in the engine bay fuse box but it is powered all the time.

I will have to "piggy back" off a 10A and hope that I dont come close to 10A correct? The accessory I am installing pulls approx 40W @12V (3.3A). Overhead DVD Player

10. Mar 13, 2012 at 7:17 PM
    cverneau

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Cheshire, CT.
    Vehicle:
    The way I understand it is this -

You have to make sure you don't put any larger than a 10 amp fuse into slot #2 (the circuit you're adding). I don't hink it matters what size the original fuse is that you're tapping into, but I could be wrong on that.

11. Mar 14, 2012 at 5:43 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    If you need more than 2 - 5 Amps, I'd pull off the fuse panel under the hood instead of the fuse panel inside the cab. It's a cleaner power source meaning it's basically a direct feed from the battery. Just my $0.02.

12. Feb 8, 2015 at 3:53 AM
    Sparkler

Sparkler Jedi

Member:
    So. Cal.
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4, 4cyl.
    Good information, good conversation.
    This thread is growing old, but solid information never dies!
    Thanks.

Skawdee likes this.
  13. Mar 18, 2023 at 9:42 PM
    Skawdee

Skawdee SKOL Vikings!

Member:
    Star Valley, Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma TRD-Offroad, 6-spd Man.
    Old Man Emu 2.5” Full Suspension Lift w/ Wheeler's Off-Road Progressive Leaf Pack JBA Upper Control Arms Moog Lower Control Arms Victory4x4 Strike Front Bumper w/ Grill Tubing Morimoto XB Headlights Baja Designs Squadron Sport Amber Fog LED’s Baja Designs 20” White LED Light Bar Over-sized BFG All-Terrain Tires K&N Stock Replacement Air Filter Pioneer AVIC-W8400 Head Unit Apple TV Wireless Phone Charging Pad Bed rail mounting with ax, shovel, MaxTrax Bed Extender
    HA! Ain't that the truth. I'm here in 2023. Still useful for my 2009 as I'm wiring for heated seats! I started the wiring today from the switches to the inside fuse box but don't have the AAF. I'm going to need to use 2 separate AAF's, 1 for each front heated seat. I'm thinking I'll come off the windows, however I'm thinking if I have the child window lock pressed in it'll kill power to my heaters??? We shall see...

Products Discussed in

To Top