1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Add-A-Leaf snapped in half...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by P. Bauer, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Apr 19, 2009 at 2:32 PM
    P. Bauer

P. Bauer [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Jose
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    TRD S/C :: Intake Camburg SwayAway Magnaflow American Racing Donahoe Racing Wheelers OffRoad
    Damn, just doing some routine maintenance, checking rear brakes, shocks, etc and found the add-a-leaf on my driver's side leaf pack was missing 1/3 of the forward facing portion.

I'll give Wheeler's a call tomorrow to order a new pair, sure wish something was open on Sunday around my area, hate to have to put it back together and take it apart again.

If anyone is in the San Jose area and has an extra add-a-leaf, I'm willing to $$$ it.

Need to find a replacement leaf pack setup that still has the overload spring, all of the kits I've seen (Deaver, etc) actually take away from the towing capacity. I tow my racecar at least once a month.

2. Apr 19, 2009 at 2:38 PM
    badguybuster

badguybuster Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    West (by GOD) Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Sport
    New truck....so nothing yet
    How old is it? What the hell were you doing? Most of those are guaranteed for the life of the vehicle.

3. Apr 19, 2009 at 2:40 PM
    SC4333

SC4333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    FL
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 2016 TRD Off-Road 4x4 DCSB
  4. Apr 19, 2009 at 2:58 PM
    P. Bauer

Member:
    San Jose
    Vehicle:
    TRD S/C :: Intake Camburg SwayAway Magnaflow American Racing Donahoe Racing Wheelers OffRoad
    Added the Sway-A-Way coilovers and rear AAL with 1" block/remote res. shocks about 2 years ago. Not sure how this happened, but 1/3 of the AAL spring is snapped off and missing.

=D

5. Apr 19, 2009 at 3:04 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    You had the AAL and a block in the rear??

6. Apr 19, 2009 at 3:05 PM
    P. Bauer

Member:
    San Jose
    Vehicle:
    Yes, to get the 3" lift that I wanted while maintaining the factory towing capacity, that was the only option 2 years ago when I lifted the truck.

The AAL goes between the overload spring and the spring pack. It should not have snapped, the other side is A-OK.

7. Apr 19, 2009 at 3:15 PM
    SC4333

SC4333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    FL
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 2016 TRD Off-Road 4x4 DCSB
    The OME Dakar leaf pack will increase your load capacity over stock. The Dakars give about 2 3/4 inches of lift, and extra leafs can be added to further increase carrying capacity.

It is possible that the leverage created by the blocks could have been part of the problem with your AAL fracturing.

8. Apr 19, 2009 at 3:27 PM
    P. Bauer

Member:
    San Jose
    Vehicle:
    At the time I installed this lift, there were not many options. All the leaf packs I looked at removed the overload spring.

Hard for me to believe the leverage from the block cause this, since the AAL is sandwiched between the leaf pack and overload spring.

If I can get another pair of AALs for under $100, that's probably what I'll do, Dakars look really nice, I'll investigate those too.

Thanks for the info.

Products Discussed in

To Top