1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Add inverter/plug

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by tibj3, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Jan 18, 2018 at 4:53 PM
    tibj3

tibj3 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    15 sr5 pre
    I have the sr5 but want to add the outlet in bed. Is my truck pre wired? What components do I need to track down?

2. Mar 8, 2018 at 10:51 PM
    laith604

laith604 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Laith
    Vehicle:
    WTB: Tacoma DCLB
  3. Mar 9, 2018 at 4:22 AM
    ejl923

ejl923 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Western Mass
    Vehicle:
    15 DCSB TRD Off Road
    buy a GOOD inverter and hook it up when needed

Key-Rei likes this.
  4. Mar 9, 2018 at 8:18 AM
    nd4spdbh

nd4spdbh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto

This.

Stock inverter is only 400w.... if thats all the power you needed you would be better off doing a good 12v line to the bed in a 12v socket (which will get used more than 120v) and using a 400w inverter when needed.

wahoobie and ejl923[QUOTED] like this.
  5. Mar 9, 2018 at 2:33 PM
    knhallak

knhallak Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Khalil
    Laguna Hills
    Vehicle:
    '12 Black Tacoma
    Kenwood Deck Side Rails Tonneau G2 Bakflip Interior LED WeatherTech Floor Liners and Bed liner Wet Okoles Seat Cover K&N Intake Filter CB Radio + Firestik Antenna Baby Monitor (aka backup camera wired to display image when pressing a CH4x4 switch Hidden LED light bar in Front bumper Ditch lights Bed lights ADDED OEM Deck outlet
    I just recently installed the oem outlet in the bed. My 2012 SR5 PreRunner was not prewired. The only wires installed by Toyota was from the switch to the center console where the power inverter (had to buy separately) will be located. I also has to pickup the harness that would connect to the power inverter that runs just under the passenger seat and the harness that goes from under the seat to the bed and hood. The biggest purchase I had to make on all this was the fact that my current engine harness did not come with the additional wired that would hook up from the power inverter to relay block. I had to find a harness at the junkyard and disassemble. There are 2 additional wires that runs From the relay to 2 connectors under the dash. It took a while to get all the harnesses and connectors....... In all I am happy I completed it but it just depends on how much time and money you want to spend on making it happen. I am also still looking for bed cubby that has then outlet to make it more OEM looking as I has to cut my cubby cover and mount the outlet to that. If you really want, as soon as I get back into the states i can send you a list of all the part numbers I had to find.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
    tibj3[OP] likes this.
  6. Mar 9, 2018 at 2:36 PM
    Linewalker

Linewalker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Juh Broh Nee
    SE PA
    Vehicle:
    2017 White SR5 DCLB 4x4
    Any recommendation on which brands are good and which brands to stay away from?

tibj3[OP] likes this.
  7. Mar 9, 2018 at 2:41 PM
    ilubtimmyhos

ilubtimmyhos Brewer

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Haymarket, VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Blue Tacoma 4x4 Pre-Runner
    4x4 Conversion w/ FJ T-Case, King 2.5 Extended Travel Coilovers w/ JBA UCAs, King 12" 2.0 Smoothies w/ BAMF relocate in the rear, OME Dakar leaf pack, 4.56 gears w/ ARB air locker, Archive Hammer Hangers w/ crossbar brace, ARB Snorkel, Custom Bed cap w/ Roofnest Sparrow XL, Retrofit Headlights, Wrapped in 3M Satin Perfect Blue
    I have the stock inverter, but im going to upgrade and rewire the stock bed outlet. Might be a clean idea for you.

tibj3[OP] likes this.
  8. Mar 9, 2018 at 2:43 PM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    If you'd specify what kinds of loads you expect to run under what conditions it would help folks point you in the right direction.

ilubtimmyhos likes this.
  9. Mar 9, 2018 at 2:47 PM
    ilubtimmyhos

ilubtimmyhos Brewer

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Haymarket, VA
    Vehicle:
    4x4 Conversion w/ FJ T-Case, King 2.5 Extended Travel Coilovers w/ JBA UCAs, King 12" 2.0 Smoothies w/ BAMF relocate in the rear, OME Dakar leaf pack, 4.56 gears w/ ARB air locker, Archive Hammer Hangers w/ crossbar brace, ARB Snorkel, Custom Bed cap w/ Roofnest Sparrow XL, Retrofit Headlights, Wrapped in 3M Satin Perfect Blue
    And do you have the tow package because if you go big enough, your alternator will start to be a factor

10. Mar 9, 2018 at 3:28 PM
    Linewalker

Member:
    First Name:
    Juh Broh Nee
    SE PA
    Vehicle:
    2017 White SR5 DCLB 4x4
    Expected load might vary from charging a laptop up to running light power equipment (circular saw, drill, etc). I was just curious about which manufacturers are good vs bad. Perhaps the answer depends on the load?

11. Mar 9, 2018 at 3:30 PM
    ilubtimmyhos

ilubtimmyhos Brewer

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Haymarket, VA
    Vehicle:
    Thats a very wide expected load. You can charge a laptop off of 150w but will need AT LEAST 2000w for power equipment.

12. Mar 9, 2018 at 3:43 PM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    ilubtimmyhos likes this.
  13. Mar 9, 2018 at 3:57 PM
    Linewalker

Member:
    First Name:
    Juh Broh Nee
    SE PA
    Vehicle:
    2017 White SR5 DCLB 4x4
  14. Apr 3, 2018 at 12:30 AM
    Brendonfly

Brendonfly Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brendon
    Vehicle:
    2005 Superwhite 4.0L access
    ARB front bumper w/ warn VR8000 All pro rear bumper Bilstein 5100 front w/OME springs
    I bought a Bestek 1000W inverter. I used it to run a small fridge in the back of my truck on a long road trip. The Inverter was cheap on Amazon (made in china), but for how much I use it, the quality is acceptable. Worked great keeping food cold on the drive, but definitely not enough juice for a circular saw. I wired it with 2 Guage stranded wire, which was supplied by a friend.

In my experience, for occasional/intermittent use, pure sine is not necessary for power tools or most other appliances. Also, don't trust the surge rating for inverters, most surge wattage values are exaggerated. Note that if you get a large inverter, the battery itself might not be able to keep the electricity flowing. This is not a problem with car batteries that can handle 700+ cold crank amps, but some deep cycle batteries may struggle maintaining 2000 watts for an extended period of time.

For example, I have ran a household fridge using a 1500 watt inverter off a fully charged 170Ah battery, but the inverter shut off after an hour as the battery could not keep up with the current. When I checked the battery after it had been disconnected for a few minutes, it still had over 90% charge.

Hope that helps a bit!

15. Apr 3, 2018 at 1:31 AM
    Exracer2

Exracer2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colchester Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off-Road Alpine White ACLB
    BRO grille, KICKER speakers, Key amp, Hideaway sub
    BULLLLLLLLSHIT.

120v @ 15a (standard household receptacle) is only 1800w. Now unless you are popping breakers at home with your power tools you don’t need anywhere near 2000w of power. Besides if you are approaching 1800-2000w you need a generator not an inverter.

I had a 1000w (1200w surge) modified sine wave inverter in my dual battery diesel 3/4T. It ran every power tool I ever tried. The same inverter got a temp mount when we moved into our new house with a cord reel and hooked to my lawn tractor. My neighbors laughed like hell when I cut the grass and ran my electric weedwhacker at the same time. It allowed me to trim around the trees without running my generator or breaking out 200’ of cord. Figure out the power requirements and oversize by 25% if possible. In many cases a generator is the right tool for the job not an inverter.

MY50cal likes this.
  16. Apr 3, 2018 at 3:16 AM
    ilubtimmyhos

ilubtimmyhos Brewer

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Haymarket, VA
    Vehicle:
    Well, I mean, it's not bullshit, it's just math. Yes, you are correct, many things require less power, but unless you use only 1 device at a time or you are only using low power tools then you may need a 2000w inverter. Many circular saws draw 15 amps. Most newer household circuits are 20 amps where these things may be used anyway, like the garage, etc. I'm not saying it's 100% necessary, I was just saying there is a wide range to be considered. I personally am going with a 1500w invertor but rarely plan on coming anywhere close to maxing it out, just would like the availability. Sorry if my vague statement offended you, but it is mathematically sound.

Products Discussed in

To Top