1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

add remote keyless entry and cruise control?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by msr145, Nov 25, 2008.

1. Nov 25, 2008 at 5:15 PM
    msr145

msr145 [OP] Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5
    I have an '08 Regular Cab manual transmission without power locks or cruise. What are my options for adding these? I'd like to buy remote keyless entry (don't need remote start), but I'm told I'd need to add actuators. As far as the cruise, I'm told a dealer can do that, but I'm pretty handy and would like to try myself if there's a place I can get the parts. Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

2. Nov 25, 2008 at 7:14 PM
    tex

tex Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    2006 V8 Sport 4Runner
    I have read where Dallas Toyota has the parts for the cruise control for just over $100.
    I looked into keyless entry myself. Since the locks are cable driven it takes a different actuator. A friend of mine owns an auto stereo shop and he priced out the parts and labor and it was around $350 if I remember correctly. They pretty much put in an alarm brain to tell the locks what to do. I deceided that I could use $350 for some biggers tires and I would get better use of those.
    Hope this helps.

3. Nov 25, 2008 at 11:03 PM
    stevigee

stevigee It's a MOD, MOD World

Member:
    First Name:
    Stevigee
    Amarillo Texas
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRAIL TEAMS FJ CRUISER
    TRADED FOR 2010 FJ CRUISER TRAIL TEAM Kenwood KDC x792 deck and SW1 pwr sub,cruise,intermittent wipers,hidden hitch, tint, debadge,Nitto Grapplers 265/75-16,Black Powder Coated Toyota Steelies, black steel Toyota wheel center caps, Vent Visors, front guard, leather seat covers, black front badge, shortie antenna, tow hook, seat maglite mod, shock & leaf spring TSB, Extang Trifecta tonneau cover, custom black Fabwright rock sliders 1 3/4" DOM tubing w/ kickout, skid plate, Pop-A-Lock, Bilsten 5100 shocks, BLHM, Azela black tail lights, LEER topper w/rack, tent
  4. Dec 17, 2008 at 6:08 PM
    msr145

msr145 [OP] Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5
    thanks Tex. I ordered the cruise control parts from Dallas Toyota but they emailed me yesterday saying they can't guarantee the parts will work on my truck (they didn't provide details and haven't yet responded to my question as to why they wouldn't work) and that they're non-returnable 'cause they're electrical parts. I guess I'll keep looking. Thanks again.

5. Jan 2, 2009 at 10:03 PM
    msr145

msr145 [OP] Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5
    If anyone's interested, I did end up getting the cruise control parts at 1sttoyotaparts.com (thanks Stevigee) and it went in like a charm. Putting the clutch switch in was a bear, but it's in, works great, and I only spent $118 for parts and shipping. I followed the instructions from - only thing I did differently was not remove the air bag 'cause I was able to get the cruise switch in without doing this - not sure why they specify to remove the air bag (yes, I had the cable off the battery)? So, if anyone else is wondering if the above instructions and parts work for an '08 Tacoma, i can say it did for me. I'm not a mechanic, but am pretty handy, and it was pretty easy other than accessing the place where the clutch switch needed to go.

Products Discussed in

To Top