1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Adding 3rd driving light question

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by mcdowell, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Mar 18, 2012 at 7:54 AM
    mcdowell

mcdowell [OP] My name is Mudd

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    mobile al
    Vehicle:
    2011 prerunner SR5
    2in Toytec leveling kit TSB 4 leafpack 130w KC driving lights Wsetin 3 tab lightbar Black headlights Trex eyelids TRD sport wheels Firestone MT Hood protector Vent visors Tube stepbars Colormatch grille
    Adding 3rd driving light between the two existing. Can i tap it into one of the existing lights wires without causing problems? KC 130w.

2. Mar 18, 2012 at 9:09 AM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    130W lights draw around 11 amps each. The wiring kit you have likely has a 30Amp relay and wiring to support 25 Amps. You'd likely blow the fuse. Upsizing the fuse is dangerous since it's there to protect the wiring and it's sized for that size wire.

I would leave what you have in place. Add a second fuse and relay coming directly off the battery and use that to provide power to the new light. You can tap the existing light circuit to trigger the new relay and have all your lights on the same switch that way.

3. Mar 18, 2012 at 9:36 AM
    mcdowell

mcdowell [OP] My name is Mudd

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    mobile al
    Vehicle:
    2011 prerunner SR5
    2in Toytec leveling kit TSB 4 leafpack 130w KC driving lights Wsetin 3 tab lightbar Black headlights Trex eyelids TRD sport wheels Firestone MT Hood protector Vent visors Tube stepbars Colormatch grille
    Thanks for the detail. I appreciate it

Products Discussed in

To Top