1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Adding a trailer hitch

Discussion in 'Towing' started by ScottyB, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Jun 15, 2010 at 6:52 PM
    ScottyB

ScottyB [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Kailua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    01 PreRunner TRD V6
    Bilstein 5100's
    I want to add a trailer hitch to my truck, a 2001 extended cab prerunner V6. Having read through the towing bible sticky in this forum and looked around for some trailer hitches I have some questions.

Firstly I'm in Hawaii so shipping on a hitch costs a much as the hitch does. That being said my plan is to get one from U-haul so I can avoid that shipping problem. I called them for a quote and was asked if it was 2wd or 4wd. The Tacoma is ridiculously popular here and the hitches are on back-order so they'd have to add me to the list and bring one in. I'm wondering if there is a difference between a normal 2wd and a prerunner as far as the frame and how the hitch would bolt up. It would really suck for them to bring a hitch in and have it not be the right one.

I guess that's my only real question for now. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Jun 18, 2010 at 4:28 AM
    ScottyB

ScottyB [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Kailua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    01 PreRunner TRD V6
    Bilstein 5100's
    Well this is the info that I got from the guys at hidden hitch.

"The # 87579 hitch fits 1995-1/2 to 1997 Toyota Tacoma 4WD only and 1998 to 2004 Toyota Tacoma All 2WD and 4WD including PreRunner."

I would imagine that this means the frame and mounting positions for most other aftermarket hitches would fit between those years as well. Thought I'd stick this in here in case anyone else ever comes up with this question.

To Top