1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Adding better antenna to CB?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Freeheelbillie, Mar 31, 2020.

1. Apr 2, 2020 at 5:06 PM
    WileECoyote

WileECoyote Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    1st Gen 4WD 2.7L RegCab
    Yaesu FT-1900R w/ 2m/70cm Comet SBB-224 antenna, Cobra 19 DX IV w/ 4ft Francis CB24 Hot Rod antenna, Uniden Bearcat BC355N 800Mhz mobile scanner (analog), an external BNC mount routed to inside the cab for a handheld fire/police scanner or HAM HT's, Rancho RS5000 front struts and rear shocks, 6in KC Daylighter (pencil beam), 15x7 Black Rock Wheels Series 942, 31x10.50R15 Firestone Destination AT, fog lights, COBRA antenna hood mount (this is used to mount the GoPro on to)
    How do brotha??? :wave: Hope things are well???!!! :fingerscrossed:

SimonTaco likes this.
  2. Apr 2, 2020 at 6:14 PM
    jbrnigan

jbrnigan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midwest
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport, 4X4, 4.0L, Auto - Access Cab
    CB is alive and well with OTR trucking. It is also prevelant among RV'ers. Besides "chatter", which some may or may not find entertaining, traffic information shared between users can be invaluable when traveling. I have used mine on numerous occasions pulling my RV to get road coditions, avoid traffic jams, and get directions. I use a Cobra 75 WX ST and Wilson mag mount, which allows me to easily move the radio between vehicles.

3. Apr 2, 2020 at 6:22 PM
    No Shoes Nation

No Shoes Nation Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 Taco SR5 Access Cab 4.0 4x4
    Hmm . . . none as yet, that's why i'm here . . .
    Antenna is key, swr setup is so crucial, and don't forget how many outlaws there are with wayyy more than 4 watts, gets u out sooo much further

4. Apr 2, 2020 at 6:41 PM
    WileECoyote

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    1st Gen 4WD 2.7L RegCab
    Yaesu FT-1900R w/ 2m/70cm Comet SBB-224 antenna, Cobra 19 DX IV w/ 4ft Francis CB24 Hot Rod antenna, Uniden Bearcat BC355N 800Mhz mobile scanner (analog), an external BNC mount routed to inside the cab for a handheld fire/police scanner or HAM HT's, Rancho RS5000 front struts and rear shocks, 6in KC Daylighter (pencil beam), 15x7 Black Rock Wheels Series 942, 31x10.50R15 Firestone Destination AT, fog lights, COBRA antenna hood mount (this is used to mount the GoPro on to)
    ^^^ THIS ^^^

I've used my CB setup on numerous occasions during traffic conditions!!! Truckers can be some of the most valuable information when it comes to it.

A lot of them use apps nowadays, but in conjunction with CB. I know, because I happen to talk to one one particular morning during a traffic jam at about 3am or so on the 10fwy.

Anyways, CB is still very useful, it just ultimately depends on what and how you're using the comms...

and they ALL have PROS/CONS as this is something to keep in mind!!!

TXpro4X4 likes this.
  5. Apr 2, 2020 at 6:41 PM
    Freeheelbillie

Freeheelbillie [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Billie
    Saint Clair, MI
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma SR, DCSB
    FRONT END King Stage 3 3” RR Coil Overs SPC UCA’s REAR END King Stage 3 BAMF Shock Relocation Rear AAL Heavy ARB Universal Diff Breather Kit TIRES & RIMS 16” Method Bronze BFG K02 (315/75/R16) ARMOR Demello Off Road Baja Hoop Front Bumper Main Line Overland Rock Sliders w/ Top Plate ¼” Aluminum RCI Fuel Tank Skid RCI Fuel Tank Straps RCI Rear Diff Skid RCI A-Arm Skids RCI – Front, Transmission, and rear Transfer Case Skid DRIVE LINE YotaWerx, BlackHawk Tune Re Geared w/ Nitro 4.56 Package Front ARB Air Locker Rear ARB Air Locker 8” Reverse Clamshell 3.73 & Down Carrier RECOVERY ComeUp Seal Gen2 9.5RS Winch, Synthetic Line ComeUp Seal Hawse Fairlead ARB On Board Twin Air Compressor LIGHTING Squadron-R Pro Amber Fogs (Wide Cornering) Baja Designs Rock Lights Squadron Sport Fogs (qty 4) Baja Designs Bed Light Kit SPODS, HD 8 Circuit Switch Panel
    I don't mind some renegade...

6. Apr 2, 2020 at 6:47 PM
    WileECoyote

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    1st Gen 4WD 2.7L RegCab
    Also, the FCC should increase the CB max wattage to, at least, within the range of 10W-25W... 15W at the very least???!!!

Stepping on the 10m band I can't see that being all that big of an issue really?

7. Apr 3, 2020 at 3:11 AM
    Freeheelbillie

Member:
    First Name:
    Billie
    Saint Clair, MI
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma SR, DCSB
    FRONT END King Stage 3 3” RR Coil Overs SPC UCA’s REAR END King Stage 3 BAMF Shock Relocation Rear AAL Heavy ARB Universal Diff Breather Kit TIRES & RIMS 16” Method Bronze BFG K02 (315/75/R16) ARMOR Demello Off Road Baja Hoop Front Bumper Main Line Overland Rock Sliders w/ Top Plate ¼” Aluminum RCI Fuel Tank Skid RCI Fuel Tank Straps RCI Rear Diff Skid RCI A-Arm Skids RCI – Front, Transmission, and rear Transfer Case Skid DRIVE LINE YotaWerx, BlackHawk Tune Re Geared w/ Nitro 4.56 Package Front ARB Air Locker Rear ARB Air Locker 8” Reverse Clamshell 3.73 & Down Carrier RECOVERY ComeUp Seal Gen2 9.5RS Winch, Synthetic Line ComeUp Seal Hawse Fairlead ARB On Board Twin Air Compressor LIGHTING Squadron-R Pro Amber Fogs (Wide Cornering) Baja Designs Rock Lights Squadron Sport Fogs (qty 4) Baja Designs Bed Light Kit SPODS, HD 8 Circuit Switch Panel
    Seems like a simple step as long as you have the SWR Meter (anyone have one on here they went to rent out??)

8. Apr 3, 2020 at 3:41 AM
    Freeheelbillie

Member:
    First Name:
    Billie
    Saint Clair, MI
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma SR, DCSB
    This is great info, thanks for taking the time to put this together! I was not prepared for the sharp learning curve and all the different avenues one can take when it comes to radio coms. Good news though...I have plenty of time on my hands these days to get schooled up.

Question, What is it about GMRS that doesn't require tuning the system/antenna?

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
    WileECoyote[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Apr 3, 2020 at 4:39 AM
    foy1der

foy1der Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    W1FOY
    Vehicle:
    2017 OR DCLB
    Yea, it has been a while. Apocalypse is going well. Wife and I are hunkered down. How about you?

WileECoyote[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Apr 3, 2020 at 7:33 AM
    WileECoyote

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    1st Gen 4WD 2.7L RegCab
    Doing okay. Same with the hunkering down.

Btw, HAHAHA, I originally texted "apocalypse" as well, but deleted it???!!! You AND "I" apparently have the same brain wavelengths going on???!!! :thumbsup::fistbump::laughing::laugh::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I finally got around to drilling holes into my antenna mast pole. I'll post a picture here fairly soon. My simple 2m homebuilt. I got a tripod from a TW member for free that he had just laying around his work and needed to get rid of it.

But yeah, it looks pretty decent. I might need to drill more holes to make it so that it has more different "height adjustments"?

Anyways, trying to get ready for "Field Day" and test out my setup. :thumbsup:

I don't care for the number of contacts and boast about it, I just want to utilize that opportunity and day to see how well my setup is.

But yeah, doing good and taking the time to work on my truck as well.

Good to hear from you brotha.

Take care, you and your wife, and stay safe!!! :thumbsup::fistbump::cheers:

11. Apr 3, 2020 at 8:07 AM
    WileECoyote

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    1st Gen 4WD 2.7L RegCab
    I'm glad it helped, hopefully? :thumbsup::fistbump:

Not a problem with putting that info out. Glad to pass along the information brotha!!! We all learn from somewhere.

It's a set of fixed frequencies. I guess the same question you ask can be applied to other bands like say, the HAM 2m (i.e. 144MHz-148MHz).

Now, I COULD be wrong, but the main difference is that for FRS/GMRS, the "users" are not "modifying" or experimenting with making their own antennas, experimenting with freq bands to develop something, etc etc etc. :notsure:

Hence, the antennas are "factory fixed/tuned" to get the most optimal use.

I have never heard of anyone having to ever bother with tuning a FRS/GMRS setup? But, then again, I don't transmit, if you will and/or belong to any group.

I do know how to and what to look for when building ones own antenna. Definitely concepts and such. So, just like my simple homebuilt 2m, I can make a very simple FRS/GMRS antenna as well.

It CAN GET a bit complicated when building your own antenna as there are MANY I have yet to experiment with in building them.

Anyways, if there are tunable FRS/GMRS antennas out there, "I" have never heard of any? :notsure: Not saying they don't exist, just saying I've never heard of any. :notsure:

With that said, if a FRS/GMRS tunable antenna does exist, you would use a UHF SWR meter and just time it similar to how one would tune a CB, for example.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
  12. Apr 3, 2020 at 8:19 AM
    WileECoyote

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    1st Gen 4WD 2.7L RegCab
    Btw, @Freeheelbillie if you ever happen to get a Baofeng HAM radio, for example, you can TX/RX to a FRS/GMRS radio if the Baofeng has its freq bands "opened" or, for the lack of a better description... "hacked".

For example, on the Baofeng radio, you would type in the freq 467.5625, which corresponds to ch8 on your typical FRS/GMRS walkie-talkie. Keep in mind that the walkie-talkie radio is set at 0.5W compared to 1W to about 5W, pending settings of the Baofeng, So if the Baofeng is set to 5W, then the person with the Baofeng will have more "reach". The person with the FRS/GMRS radio will be able to hear the Baofeng, but not be able to transmit (TX) that very same distance the farther out one gets.

Hope that makes sense?

Freeheelbillie[OP] likes this.
  13. Apr 3, 2020 at 10:43 AM
    EdinCincinnati

EdinCincinnati Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2014 4x4 TRD OR
    I recommend buying one. You’ll need it again in the future and they aren’t that expensive and personally I’ve found buying older “vintage” used ones on eBay work better than the current made crap.

My $0.02

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  14. Apr 3, 2020 at 11:14 AM
    DaveInDenver

DaveInDenver Not Actually in Denver

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Grand Junction
    Vehicle:
    2008 Super White TRDOR AC 6MT
    Unexceptional
    You do have more than 4 watts. The rule for CB is 4W average carrier power on AM (that's the normal use) and 12W peak envelope power (PEP) SSB. Using AM with a carrier of 4W if you modulate with a perfectly symmetrical sine wave you'll peak at 16W PEP. In reality an off the shelf CB is probably going to leave some power on the table so that a range of users can operate the radio without overmodulating, which causes adjacent channel interference and distortion.

15. Apr 3, 2020 at 11:21 AM
    dofartshavelumps

dofartshavelumps Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2015 SR DCSB 4x4 4.0 MT
    Good suggestion, SWR is more for Tx efficiency to make sure you can radiate as much of that 4 watts am or 12 watts ssb as possible. It doesn't matter much for receive. Depending on your antenna setup you may have to tune for the channel you plan on using the most. anything under 1.5:1 should be good enough.

16. Apr 4, 2020 at 1:26 AM
    No Shoes Nation

No Shoes Nation Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 Taco SR5 Access Cab 4.0 4x4
    Hmm . . . none as yet, that's why i'm here . . .
    This is true. My first CB was a 23 channel Toshiba unit given to me while visiting the USA from England. While here I bought a cheap antenna that was about two feet long. Got back home to England. Wired it up in my car and sat on a hill listening to people in places like Kansas and Georgia. I was blown away by this, I couldn’t talk to them but I could hear, thank you ‘Skip’ Later when CB became a bit more available in England I started DX’ing and was talking to China and Australia, freaking amazed, I was hooked.

17. Apr 4, 2020 at 11:15 AM
    TXpro4X4

TXpro4X4 Fuck Cancer!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TOY
    Toy Stuff..... Faktor Amber lights on in the grill. Under front bumper led rock lighting. Center counsel c.b mod with under the hood p.a. Anytime foglight mod. R.G.B tape light for inside toekick lighting. Front and back. Front weathertech floor mats. De-Baged except TOY on tailgate. FJ style 6 speed shifter knob. Rubber tacoma bed mat. Trd exhaust. Trd 16in beadlocker style wheels. Electrical a/c 115volt plug/usb mod next to passenger knee. Fox 2.5 coilovers. Icon 2.0's in the rear. Rear locker any-time mod. Abs kill switch mod. All Pro ISF front skid Pelfrey built front differential skid Baja design pro pods Rigid pods CBI pods brackets Mobtown tailgate guard RIP Mobtown Caliraised rear amber pod lights CJ Jumper- map, running, amber fog, reverse, and license plate led bulbs Pedal Commander
    :fistbump:
    Hopefully Providing a little relief Randy!
    Done any metal detector lately?

18. Apr 4, 2020 at 11:17 AM
    NYCTaco52

NYCTaco52 Half man, half goat

Member:
    First Name:
    Somehow known as Stewart, but named Ben
    Ft Lauderdale, FL
    Vehicle:
    2022 Subaru Ascent
    No licensing required for CB

19. Apr 4, 2020 at 11:17 AM
    NYCTaco52

Member:
    First Name:
    Ft Lauderdale, FL
    Vehicle:
    2022 Subaru Ascent
    What he said lol

EatSleepTacos[QUOTED] likes this.
  20. Apr 4, 2020 at 11:22 AM
    NYCTaco52

Member:
    First Name:
    Ft Lauderdale, FL
    Vehicle:
    2022 Subaru Ascent
    I have a HAM handheld that I've been wanting to get licensed for, but where I live, licensing test are far and few and happen at inconvenient times for me

EatSleepTacos[QUOTED] likes this.
To Top