1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Adding new tie downs? (D-rings)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by mirage2009, Sep 18, 2011.

1. Sep 18, 2011 at 11:01 PM
    mirage2009

mirage2009 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 2009 TRD SR5
    I'm sure whatever I'm about to asked has been asked a million times, but please bear with me.

So I have a short bed tacoma and it has two D-rings at the rear end of the bed. A bit of a weird spot to put em if you ask me. But anyways. If you check the pic below there are also this bolts on the bed.

[​IMG]

Basically what I wanna do is unscrew those bolts (like on the right of the above pic) and add additional D-rings like. I have about 4 of these bolts.

Now I have two questions.

1) How do I unscrew these guys? I got a torx bit wrench of mine and I couldn't get em to budge with all my fuckin strength. They are really tight! I'm guessing I'll need power or air tools? Is that that the only way?

2) Where can I get D-rings that will fit on those spots?

Thanks!!

2. Sep 18, 2011 at 11:05 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
  3. Sep 18, 2011 at 11:17 PM
    TnShooter

TnShooter The TacomaWorld Stray

Member:
    First Name:
    Deogee
    Vehicle:
    07' TRD Off-Road, Auto
    STOCK
  4. Sep 20, 2011 at 11:10 AM
    canyonchaser

canyonchaser Member Known Well

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    LR TRD PRO MT
    I just installed a bed buddy - better solution IMHO.

[​IMG]

For around $100, you get bed reinforcement plus three more eye bolts.

dp

5. Sep 20, 2011 at 11:12 AM
    rbishopp

rbishopp Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Webster, NY
    Vehicle:
    2009 4WD Reg cab Taco. Keepin it simple.
    So far I've added an Advance folding bed cover and since removed it. Gave it to my son in Maine, he has an 05 2wd. GT perfect fit seat covers. Weathertech floor mats and window vent visors. Waag center brush/grill guard. Hose clamp tailgate mod. Turned off the seat belt chime. Added Ultra-Gauge. Trailer hitch. Softopper. Replaced sun visors with slide out style. Toyota bed extender. Had Firestone Destinations and now Michelin LTX AT2 in stock size. More mods to come; Fog lights, locking storage in bed, intermittent wipers. Now looking for Radio/HU upgrade. and maybe a lift way down the road.
    ^^^^ That's cool.

6. Sep 20, 2011 at 12:54 PM
    motopix

motopix Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NoVA
    Vehicle:
    11 DCLB Sport
    How do you get behind the bed at the cab to secure bolts/nuts?

In other words, tell me how you mount the bed buddy. And are those two cylinders/plates mounted above the bed buddy for bicycle forks?

7. Sep 20, 2011 at 1:06 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I bought OEM D-rings, drilled out 2 of the water drain holes in the front of the bed and bolted them down to that. I used a backer plate on the bottom side of the bed, so far so good!

8. Sep 20, 2011 at 2:56 PM
    shoebag22

shoebag22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    i was thinking about doing that, but the drain holes seem too far forward to be useful.

9. Sep 20, 2011 at 3:00 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I wanted them as far forward as I could get them. Perfect for securing a motorcycle in the bed where you want the straps to hold the front tire tight against the front of the bed.

10. Sep 20, 2011 at 6:06 PM
    stretch85

stretch85 Active Member

Member:
    Raleigh-Durham, NC
    Vehicle:
    2011 V6 4x4 TRD Sport
    I have a toolbox mounted immediately behind the cab, so I'm planning to drill a couple holes for two additional D-rings in my bed just in front of the wheel well bumps on either side.

11. Sep 20, 2011 at 10:30 PM
    mirage2009

mirage2009 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 2009 TRD SR5
    That's exactly what I wanna do. I guess it's time to dust off some old tools. Also.. where to get those D-rings? Did you order them from toyota, or is it a commonly available part.

12. Sep 20, 2011 at 10:44 PM
    Manwithoutaplan

Manwithoutaplan the full Monty

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Speedway Blue Trd 4x4
    -Nitro 4.56 gears - Arb Front and Rear lockers. -Rear Swing out bumper Curiosity of ( Dept .94) https://www.facebook.com/Dept94 -Tinted, -ProComp 6 inch lift with Icon Coil overs and Bilstein's 7100Resi -315/70/17 - 17x8 in Pro Comp Matte black rims 4.5 bs -East Coast Gear Supply Sliders -ALL Pro EXP LEaf pack -Camburg UCA's -CAB mount CHOP
    looks pretty good :D.

13. Sep 20, 2011 at 11:16 PM
    DATZ WEAKSAUCE

DATZ WEAKSAUCE Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    17 DCLB TRD OFF ROAD LT PROJECT
    where can i get one of those?

edit: n/m just found it on google =P

14. Sep 21, 2011 at 7:46 AM
    canyonchaser

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    LR TRD PRO MT
    Incredibly simple really - took me all of 20 minutes to install.
    Mark and drill three holes.
    Remove the channel across the top (five bolts) so the composite bed will flex a bit more.
    Bolt the "Bed Buddy" in place - Starting with the middle bolt. There's enough room to get your fingers and a wrench back there.
    Re-install the rail.

Easy, cheesie, japaneasy! (as my grandpa would say)

And yes, those are skewer mounts for my bicycles. You can buy the expensive Toyota ones, but i just bolted in a set that I already had using a couple of big, thick washers to grab the inside of the rail.

Here's a review of the Bed-Buddy (Not Toyota Specific)
    http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/394/184/Motorcycle-Article/Bed-Buddy-Review.aspx

dp

15. Sep 21, 2011 at 12:27 PM
    motopix

motopix Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NoVA
    Vehicle:
    11 DCLB Sport
    Appreciate the info. I've been debating about adding rings to the front of the box (already have them added to the bed) and just using a baxley to haul the bike. The baxley's more secure but takes up more room then a bed buddy.

Couldn't figure out how to bolt stuff up front...But it does look like I'd have to forget about getting a tonneau cover with the bed buddy.

Another option I'm looking into is using the single e-track mountings for the front of the bed wall. With good backing plates and low enough, they'd be a lot stronger than a ring mounted on the front wall.

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/m...-truck/cargo-load-binders/snap-loc-black-pack

As far as I can tell, you can use the various e-track mounts in the single plates e.g. clip in d-rings, straps w/d-rings, that sort of thing.

16. Sep 21, 2011 at 3:49 PM
    Piratefish

Piratefish Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sebastopol
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Off Road
    Sadly None
    I did this mod. All of my bed bolts were loose ! I mean like hand tight.

17. Sep 21, 2011 at 3:51 PM
    Manwithoutaplan

Manwithoutaplan the full Monty

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Speedway Blue Trd 4x4
    -Nitro 4.56 gears - Arb Front and Rear lockers. -Rear Swing out bumper Curiosity of ( Dept .94) https://www.facebook.com/Dept94 -Tinted, -ProComp 6 inch lift with Icon Coil overs and Bilstein's 7100Resi -315/70/17 - 17x8 in Pro Comp Matte black rims 4.5 bs -East Coast Gear Supply Sliders -ALL Pro EXP LEaf pack -Camburg UCA's -CAB mount CHOP
    I did mine but i didnt order the toyota ones and made it closer to the corner of the bed. I use mine all the time. Got mine from King bolt for 3 buck for both anchors.

18. Sep 22, 2011 at 11:53 AM
    Cape Codder

Cape Codder Native Son

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Hangin' Out in the Atlantic
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport 4x4 Access Cab 4.0L V6 Auto - Silverstreak Mica
    SOS Concepts Sliders waiting for POR-15 Rust Abatement (Spring 2016), OEM Silver Tube Steps 'til then OME 2.5" Suspension w/885 Coils & Dakars / LR UCA's w/SpecRide Bushings / Lifetime Alignment Wheeler's "Super Bump" Bump Stops Front & Rear / OME Carrier Bearing Drop / 2.5° Axle Shims (Eliminated Vibration) Moog Greaseable LCA Cam Bolts / ToyTech Sway Bar Relocate Kit / Stainless Steel Extended Brake Lines (Front & Rear) TIRES - LT275/70R17 (32.2") Firestone Destination A/T's (and Matching Spare) mounted on (5) 17”x8” (4.5” BS) Machined Aluminum Alloy, with Light Gunmetal Accents, Konig SixShooter Wheels with Hofmann Anthracite Adhesive Power Weights / McGard 65002 Chrome SplineDrive Lug Nuts / Cloned Schraeder EZ Sensor 33000 TPMS SNOW TIRES - Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 - P255/75-17 (32.1") mounted on Stock TRD Sport Wheels (5.5” BS) w/BORA 1" Wheel Spacers (to = 4.5” BS), Wheels Locks & OEM Lug Nuts Wheel Master 36" Stainless Steel Mesh Spare Tire Inflator/Checker attached to Rear Bumper / Spare Tire Lock TRD Skid Plate / Husky Mud Flaps / Redline Tuning Hood Struts / UltraGauge / Frame Hole Plugs / OEM Chrome Exhaust Tip Salex SLX102 - '05-'13 Tacoma GloveBox & Console Organizers Combo Set / GRID-IT (Console Cover Organizer) Color Matched SATOSHI Grill w/ Individual Letters Toyota Emblem (from ‘86 Toyota Land Cruiser) Hella Fogs on Elusive Elements Light Bar mounted behind Grill / Relocated Horns & Outside Temperature Sensor SilverStar zXe Headlights / SilverStar Fogs / Upper & Lower Color Matched Eyelids / LED's @ Dome, Maps, Lic Plate & 3rd Brake / 866 Foglight Lamps for Back-Up Lights WeatherTech Headlight & Foglight Protection / AutoBahnd RoadBlock (3M) Paint Protection System on Front End & Tailgate Avid Hitch Step Color Match Powdercoated / Avid LightBar Color Match Powdercoated / DIY Front Plate Holder mounted on AVID Light Bar (NO Bumper Holes) Emblems DeBadged / CBoy808's Silver OME EMU, Medium Gray Mall Rated, TRD Skid & Matte Black US Flag Decals SockMonkey Medium Gray Shadow Only Bedside, Door, Hood Scoop & Tailgate Decals DeBadged Leer 100LX Cap w/ Adventure Pkg including Thule 48” & 60” AeroBar Locking Removable Racks, Removable Front Window & Rear Door Remote Lock Charcoal/Blk Wet Okoles (front & rear) w/Front Seat Back Waterproof Zippered Pockets, Front Pistol Pockets & Seat Heaters / Drop Stop Seat Wedge Fillers 6 CD Changer w/SubWoofer (TRD Sport OEM) / BluLogic Hands Free (Blue Tooth) / Lutron Maestro Pico Remote Control for Driveway Floods Pro-Fit & Pro-Clip Device Holders for Cell Phone & GPS / Beltronics RX 65 Blue Detector / Garmin 885T GPS 30% Tint on Driver/Passenger Windows / WeatherTech Dark Front Window Deflectors / AutoMate AM-7 Alarm w/Remote Start WeatherTech FloorLiners (Front & Rear) / WeatherTech All Weather Mats (Over Front Liners) TRD "Offroad" Front Recovery Hook (Color Matched) / 2" x 30' & 3" x 30' Recovery Straps ELITE OffRoad 2" Receiver Hitch Shackle / Daystar Black Shackle Isolator / LifeLong Locks Class 5 Locking Hitch Pin Viair 00088 88P Portable Air Compressor / Rockford 12,000mah, 200/400 Amp, Portable Power Source & Mini Jump Starter Pop&Lock PL5305 Manual Tailgate Lock w/Color Matched Handle / Driver's Door Keytechniques Keyhole Cover OEM Bed Mat / 4 Extra Military Issue Bed "D" Rings Attached with Bed Bolts / 4 Extra Bed Rail Tiedowns & 2 Mini Tiedowns H3R Performance Halguard Halotron® 1 (Clean Agent) - HG250C 2.5lb Chrome Fire Extinguisher and Extreme Duty Quick Release Bracket (Mounted in Bed) H3R Performance Halguard Halotron® 1 (Clean Agent) - HG100C 1.4lb Chrome Fire Extinguisher (In Cab Back Door Pocket) H3R Performance MX500R - 5lb Dry Chemical Fire Extinguisher w/ Vehicle Mount (On Cab Back Floor, Not Yet Mounted in Bed) ResQMe GB0-RQMTWIN-O Orange Keychain Version of the Original LifeHammer (Hanging Within Reach in Cab) FogLight Anytime / Differential Breather / A/C Condensate Drain / Tailgate Hoseclamp Anti-Theft Mods Toyota Extra Care Platinum Vehicle Service Agreement (VSA) – 8 Year / 125,000 Miles TSB's: Transmission TSB / Blower Motor TSB / Steering Intermediate Shaft Bushing TSB 90L Accelerator Pedal D0L Recall / Driver & Passenger Seat Belts Recall / Inspect Wheels & Tires "BOB" Recall The “TW EMPTY UR WALLET MOD” and a Pile of Stuff Waitin' for Install
    Bed Bolt Torque Value - 91 ft/lb

CC

19. Sep 23, 2011 at 9:27 AM
    canyonchaser

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    LR TRD PRO MT
    Baxleys are fantastic, but I doubt the Bed-Buddy would foul the tonneau cover. It sits below the Toyota factory channel used for the tie-down rings.

dp

20. Sep 23, 2011 at 12:26 PM
    motopix

motopix Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NoVA
    Vehicle:
    11 DCLB Sport
    I see from your pic that the BB would sit below a tonneau, the problem I was imagining is that the part of the tonneau that attaches to the front of the cab would overhang too far and not let the wheel get into the BB's slots/wheel grooves.

But I've not looked at a cover like one of the Access rollups to see how much it overhangs into the bed.

Products Discussed in

To Top