1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Adding Remote Start To My Factory Keyless

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by dustinuhls, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Apr 8, 2009 at 1:47 AM
    dustinuhls

dustinuhls [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Manhattan, KS
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 4wd
    Icon Coilovers, Magnaflow, K&N Intake
    Anybody know how I can add remote start to my factory system? I already have keyless entry and alarm on the truck from a port install at the dealership (RS 3000). My remote broke off the keychain and I checked on buying a new one and they are stupid expensive. Remote still works fine, it's just not attached to the keychain anymore. I went to all the audio/electronics stores here in town and told them I wanted to add a remote start to my truck and still use the factory alarm/keyless entry but have everything on one remote. I'm just looking to add a remote start that the key fob could be programmed to work my factory keyless/alarm system. They all told me that couldn't be done and I would have to scrap the factory alarm and keyless entry and install one of their complete systems to make it all work on one remote. All I want to do is add remote start and have that key fob programmed to lock/unlock my doors and set the factory alarm. Is there any way to do this?

2. Apr 8, 2009 at 1:58 AM
    BulletToothTony

BulletToothTony You’ll have that on these big jobs.

Member:
    First Name:
    You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
    There is a way to do it, there was a thread not to long ago about it, Im sure somebody will find it and post the link to it but IT CAN BE DONE........

3. Apr 10, 2009 at 2:03 AM
    dustinuhls

Member:
    Manhattan, KS
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 4wd
    I found out I can buy a remote start the uses my factory remote to start the truck by a combination of button pushes on the factory remote, but I'll still have to buy a new remote (mines broke off the keychain) and it's limited to the short range distance your factory remote works to unlock the doors. Looks like I'll have to replace everything if I want a good remote start/keyless/alarm all on one key fob.

4. Apr 10, 2009 at 8:08 PM
    installersam

installersam Well-Known Member

Member:
    raleigh NC
    Vehicle:
    03 Double Cab
    we sell the Valet 561t. It works great, and is made by DEI. The short factory range is the down fall to the add ons. I would say go with all aftermarket set up the range will increase greatly. All the alarms / keyless / r/s we sell are Viper made by DEI. These units are very relaible. I have had several different setups on my vehicles. Every thing from basic 3 button remotes to the 2 way remotes. All work great, just depends on what you are looking for.

5. Apr 10, 2009 at 8:15 PM
    installersam

Member:
    raleigh NC
    Vehicle:
    03 Double Cab
    Are you going to do the work yourself? If so you can get the higher end units ($175 to $200) cheap online. If not it will probably run you about $300 or $350 installed for a more basic unit. If you haven't done alot of electronics installs before i would suggest seeking out a pro.

6. Apr 11, 2009 at 12:34 AM
    dustinuhls

Member:
    Manhattan, KS
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 4wd
    I've installed a lot of car stereos. Head units, subs, amps, EQs, etc. I did it for all my friends in high school, but I've never tried installing an alarm/keyless/remote start before. I've seen those high end units online before for really cheap as well, but didn't know what I would be getting myself into trying to install one myself. If the instructions were very detailed (vehicle specific), I wouldn't have a problem, but most of them I've seen come with generic install instructions. I can cut, crimp, and solder, any wires that need be, but don't wanna have to guess what wires do what w/o a good detailed guide to go by. I just don't want to have to figure out what goes where if I'm trying to install a kit with generic instructions.

7. Apr 11, 2009 at 7:08 AM
    stang88

stang88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    the autopage rs-603 has the ability to do that. I install that alot for customers who want to keep their factory keyless.

www.autopageusa.com

8. Apr 11, 2009 at 6:05 PM
    installersam

Member:
    raleigh NC
    Vehicle:
    03 Double Cab
    The instructions are very detailed, but very generic at the same time. They are not vehicle specific at all. You would have to have the wire info on your truck. We use a couple of different databases at work to get our info. It would be a bit more difficult then a radio, but general electrical knowledge and ability to follow instructions can go a long way. The truck itself is fairly easy compared to others.

9. Jan 11, 2012 at 5:07 AM
    davidbarr

davidbarr New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Washington, DC
    Vehicle:
    10 Tacoma SR5
    Has anyone found the write up to add the remote start to the factory alarm without completely changing out the alarm and keyless entry? I would like to also add the remote start and keep my current key fob.

10. Jan 25, 2012 at 8:51 PM
    jordando89

jordando89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jordan
    idaho
    Vehicle:
    2008 white double cab long bed sport 4x4
    3in lift painted sport wheels
  11. Feb 26, 2012 at 10:53 PM
    jordando89