1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

additional shocks for extra weight

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Mtn Buckster, May 29, 2011.

1. May 29, 2011 at 7:39 PM
    Mtn Buckster

Mtn Buckster [OP] New Member

Member:
    Socal mountains
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma and a 1978 SR5
    Looking for additional or replacement shocks from stock ones to carry extra weight and not affect driving performance.

2. May 29, 2011 at 7:40 PM
    97yota4wd

97yota4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    alot of metal, small engine, decent travel.
    caged, camburg long travel, 50t leafpack (soon to be installed) light rack over cab, 5pt harnesses etc
    bilstein 5100s would be good with a higher rate spring like eibachs

3. May 29, 2011 at 7:41 PM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Shocks do not increase payload capacity. All they do is dampen the rebound of the springs.

4. May 30, 2011 at 4:54 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    This. You need better springs. But at the same time-That will only help you carry the rated weight more comfortably. If you need to carry more weight than the truck is rated for-You need a bigger truck.

Cargo capacity is based on a lot of things-Not just the suspension.

5. May 30, 2011 at 11:21 PM
    Mtn Buckster

Mtn Buckster [OP] New Member

Member:
    Socal mountains
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma and a 1978 SR5
    Thank you for all your help and support. You probably can see...I'm just a dumb old mountain man. My problem is when I load up like about 12 - 20 cement blocks, the back sags down. I wonder if I am doing any damage to truck by doing this. Thanks again!

6. May 31, 2011 at 12:06 AM
    907taco

907taco Alaskan Assassin

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2010 BlackSandPearl 4x4
    ultimate lift kit ( toytec ) ome dakar leaf pack , w/ extended length billies, LR uca's, Pro comp 7089s, KM2's 285 70 17, neoprene seat covers, weather techs, CBI sliders w/kickout, URD ss, cab mount chop, VHT night shade tint>tails,3rd B-light. Debadged. Grillecraft grille, rear diff breather mod. CBI Moab front bumper, warn M8000 winch, HID kragens 7", Hella's micro fogs. retrofit headlights HIDS, LED solutions maps/license! 886 back up light mod,
    last week i loaded 1/2 pallet of blocks in my truck (30 blocks) and i was way down low. I wouldnt do that again but every once in a while its ok. I do have the dakkar leaf packs. if your stock i imagine you might blow your seals on your shocks and then maybe your leafs might need to replaced.

Products Discussed in

To Top