1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Adjusting Camber at home

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by DDD, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Mar 26, 2009 at 3:04 AM
    DDD

DDD [OP] Shine bright like a hymen

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Santa Clarita, CA
    I have been fighting my steering wheel for some time now. My truck pulls to the right and its very annoying. My old tires wore out prematurely. The inside edge of the right front tire was worn flat and the outside edge of that tire had good tread left.

I after getting new tires I had Sears align it. They gave me a print out and told me they adjusted the toe (adjusted tie rod ends).
    Driving away I notice that the truck still pulls to the right. Same as before! Sears employees keep telling me that they cannot make any more adjustments because all of the numbers are within specs. If they adjusted camber or toe it would be out of alignment.

After reading this article I have determined the problem to be the negative camber. The picture of the "Camber wear Pattern" looks exactly like my old right front tire. Maybe on a lift at a shop I don't have neg. camber but on the road at highway speed, I think I do.

Is there any way to correct my negative camber at home?

Here is a copy of the printout they gave me at Sears.
    [​IMG]

2. Mar 26, 2009 at 3:46 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    If an allignment shop can't adjust it, ....you're not gonna be able to do it at home.

I would start looking for some mechanical issues - worn parts, etc.

What kind of tires are you running? How many miles do you have on them?

If it pulls to the right, I'd start looking at the right side suspension & steering components. Jack the truck up and do some investigating.

3. Mar 26, 2009 at 6:37 AM
    Top Gun Customz

Top Gun Customz Active Member

Member:
    Your tires wearing could also be due to a toe issue. Pulling usually persists with the caster. The best thing to do would be to take it to a different alignment shop. Stay away from the big places like sears. Find you an older shop that the guys have been doing it for a while.

4. Apr 2, 2009 at 7:12 AM
    OGSpacePimp

OGSpacePimp Member

Member:
    Gainesville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    99 x-cab, bagged on 18s and being shaved
    bags, 18s, front inner fenders tubbed, shaved: hood squirters, corner lamps, antenna, door handles, tailgate handle, 4x4 fenders, 95 - 97 4x4 bumper/valance, 98 - 00 4x4 grill, 96 sr5 buckets, tubular control arms, 4 link, step notch w/ cover, and lots of other misc. stuff
    i agree, find a small shop...if you can find someone with a pit that does big rigs, those places are usually very knowledgable...being slammed so much I have to use a shop that actually knows more about alignments then their computer and lasers can tell them at the chain places

5. Apr 2, 2009 at 8:05 AM
    Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2001 prerunner doublecab limited
    2001 with; cat-back side-swept twin exhaust, elbow mod, Westin bullbar with Hella 450 driving lights, Snugtop XTR camper shell, TRD off-road 2x4-black beauty.
    Your truck was never wrecked right? Or you never smacked anything hard with the right front? You say you have been fighting the wheel "for some time now"...when did it start specifcally? Are you the sole driver of that truck?
    Also, walk to the rear of the truck (on level ground) back off about 5' then walk from side to side and eyeball those front tires, how is one positioned within the wheelwell as opposed to the other?
    I will tell you this-one time when Rosie took her Celica into a TOYOTA dealer-they had possesion of it for an awfully long time...we found out that they DAMAGED it in an accident, did not tell us, and got it repaired behind our backs. That person responsible for the coverup was fired. THIS WAS A TOYOTA DEALER!! I hope something along these lines didn't happen to you too- but I put it out there for you.

6. Apr 2, 2009 at 9:35 AM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 Long-Travel
    King 10" coilovers w/ resi. 3.5" over long travel kit. Factory spindles w/ ALLPRO gussets. Total Chaos tower gussets. Energy Poly cab mounts and steering rack mounts. Glassworks fenders and bedsides. Home fabbed bed cage. King 2.5x16 bypass shocks in the rear. DMZ long travel rear end. Race radio (2meter). Removed secondary carbon air filter. Exhaust dumped before the axle / no muffler. Phram fresh air cabin filter. K&N replacement filter, After market stereo, Grillcraft grill, custom fabled roof rack with 7" HID's, PRP race seats.
    So you do have new front tires just to be clear correct? A slightly warn tire that is unevenly warn can cause these issues even when the alignment is dead nuts. I recently did 5100's on my truck to lift the front and level it. The camber was off and when I took it to be aligned the guy said afterword he had to take it off the rack three times to drive the truck and let the suspension settle. Perhaps they didn't drive it and then re-check. Take it somewhere else and hopefully you'll have better luck. Cheers

7. Apr 2, 2009 at 9:44 AM
    Dark Knight

Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NC/SC
    Vehicle:
    4Runner Trail, 88 pickup, Tundra Platinum
    A few bolts are different.
    sears is definitely hit or miss, 90% of the time being a complete FAIL.

8. Apr 2, 2009 at 10:17 AM
    DDD

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Santa Clarita, CA
    The truck was never in an accident. I am the only owner. Somewhere around 30k miles with the stock Rugged Trails I started to notice the pulling. At 40k miles the inside edges were worn bald. This is when I bought these new tires. The new tires still pull just like the old ones and I don't want them to get worn out...

9. Apr 2, 2009 at 11:06 AM
    Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2001 prerunner doublecab limited
    2001 with; cat-back side-swept twin exhaust, elbow mod, Westin bullbar with Hella 450 driving lights, Snugtop XTR camper shell, TRD off-road 2x4-black beauty.
    OK well do the eyeball thing-if you can see that problem tire tucks differently into the fenderwell than the other-then you have something that will illustrate it to the shop. I am speaking directly from experience here-I feel as though something got bent. Or even shoved back. If you still had the original tires on the truck, I would suspect what is called "radial roll" which is the belts in the tire slipping to one side. You changed out those tires, which points me to something else.

10. Apr 2, 2009 at 12:37 PM
    YotaDan

YotaDan Dan

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Oregon
    A good alignment tech should know what a correct alignment needs to be with out a computer telling it certain specs. Sounds like you have negative Camber on that tire. The vehicle will pull in the direction of more positive camber. Since only one tire is having wear problems then it is a camber issue and not a Toe issue, Toe will wear both tires equally. Go to a better Alignment shop. Toyotas are a piece of cake to align.

11. Apr 2, 2009 at 12:43 PM
    YotaDan

YotaDan Dan

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Oregon
    Ok I just went over your print out again. Your Alignment looks great. Your truck should be driving straight down the road with no tire wear issues. Considering that. I think you have another issue. Possibly a bad ball-joint or a Sticking caliper. Something that would cause it to pull to the right and make you counter it with steering to the left. Which will cause tire wear. Shake down the front end for play in the ball joints or bushings, and make sure you dont have a caliper that is dragging.

12. Apr 2, 2009 at 2:12 PM
    DDD

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Thanks for the advice. I checked the front brakes, both sides have the same amount of pad left. After 10k miles of dragging I think I would see a difference if this was the problem. Ball-joints and bushing have no "visible" problems. But just looking at it doesn't mean much...

I guess I just have to find a mechanic I trust. I have never taken my truck to a mechanic or the dealer (other than the Sears alignment and tire install). I have always done everything myself.

13. Apr 2, 2009 at 2:18 PM
    YotaDan

YotaDan Dan

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Oregon
    Thats Good. Doing the work yourself is usually the best way anyhow. If you get a chance just jack that side of the vehicle up (be sure to put a jack stand under there). Grab the tire by the top and bottom and push and pull back and forth to see if there is any play. There should not be any.

14. Apr 2, 2009 at 2:23 PM
    cajuntaco

cajuntaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lake Jackson, Tx
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4, Banks Exhaust
    Banks Exhaust, Removed Secondary Filter, Toyota factory suspension upgrade. 265/75 Interco TRXus M/T's
    My truck is doing the same thing but mine is a toe issue. I did not have any problems with it until I had the TSB done now (@ 31k miles on my 08) both my front tires on the inside are worn down. I can see all of Abe's head jk, So I am taking it back to Toyota, if they do not do it for free I am going to a mom and pop shop.

Does anyone know if a life time alignment will still be honored if I put a lift on my truck? Just curious.

15. Apr 2, 2009 at 2:27 PM
    cajuntaco

cajuntaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lake Jackson, Tx
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4, Banks Exhaust
    Banks Exhaust, Removed Secondary Filter, Toyota factory suspension upgrade. 265/75 Interco TRXus M/T's
    Oh also I know that GM designs their vehicles to pull slightly to the right, in the case you fall asleep at the wheel you avoid a head on collision.

Products Discussed in

To Top