1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ADS Off-Road Racing Shocks - Information, Pictures, & BS Thread

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by TaylorU, Aug 23, 2014.

1. Jun 10, 2018 at 6:16 PM
    jowybyo

jowybyo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Baltimore, MD
    Vehicle:
    '14 MGM DCSB Postrunner 4wd Conversion, Debadged
    I’ve heard that adjusting the preload without unloading the spring could cause the threads to strip. That’s why I didn’t force it. I assume no one that has this issue? I guess the split nut can open up and jump the threads.

2. Jun 10, 2018 at 6:19 PM
    Jerneyman

Jerneyman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wes
    Huntsville, AL
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD OffRoad 4x4
    **Armor** Home Fabbed Hybrid Front Bumper Home Fabbed Rock Sliders Home Fabbed IFS Skid Plate Home Fabbed Mid Skid Plate Home Fabbed Transfer Case Skid Home Fabbed High Clearance Rear Bumper **Suspension** ADS Front Coilovers (Extended Travel, 700lb coils, Remote Resi) Total Chaos UCAs Chevy 63 Swap w/ custom shock hoops 14" Bilstein 7100s **Wheels/ Tires** Spidertrax 1.25" Wheel Spacers Front/Rear TRD Rock Warrior Wheels 285/75/16 BFG KO2s **Electrical** Pelfreybilt Auxiliary Fuse/Relay Panel Blue Sea Fuse Box Bussman 100 AMP Breaker **Recovery** Smittybilt 9.5k Winch **Lights** 20 Inch Single Row LED Bar Rigid Side Shooters (Flood/Pair) w/ CBI Offroad Ditch Light Brackets Rigid Duallys, Amber for fog lights **Miscelaneous Mods** Rear Diff Breather Relocation RAM Mount A-Pillar Mod w/ Garmin Power Cable DRT Fabrication Cab Mount Relocation Pinch Weld Mod (Mini Sledge Special) Short Rise Bed Bar for Tire Storage/ Hi-Lift Mount
    I shared the same concern however I didn’t experience any issues. Checked and double checked during the entire process and all my threads were healthy. I think I can attribute that to the egregious amount of lube I used.

3. Jun 10, 2018 at 6:44 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    Spray lube the threads top and bottom, spring perch, and any other point that may move. Loosen the set screw until it is coming out easily, then thread it back in until you have to use a slight bit of force. Then first loosen the preload ring to break it free from the threads, then you should be able to tighten. If you have too much preload, then you will have some difficulty adjusting. ADS is not very specific on their max pre load as other manufacturers are.

TACOVRD likes this.
  4. Jun 10, 2018 at 8:25 PM
    TRD493

TRD493 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Texas (DFW)
    Vehicle:
    17 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4 / 01 4x4 V6 Extra Cab TRD SR5
    I have the 650lb coils and when we first dialed in some more preload we used a spanner wrench AND a punch (working around the remote reservoir line was a pain in the ass!). We lubed the crap out of the coils first. It wasn't easy but we managed without any cheater bars. This was right after they were installed. It's been 6mos now and I'd like to add a little more preload and I'm wondering if it's going to be harder this time.
    ADS told me me this..."For every 3 clockwise rotations you should gain 1/2" of lift. We like to measure the full installed length of the spring at full extension to determine the exact preload. The coil spring free length should be 14". We wouldn't recommend going further than 11.75" installed length."

riz_atx likes this.
  5. Jun 10, 2018 at 8:31 PM
    geoff325

geoff325 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Big Horn Basin
    Vehicle:
    Raptor
    Sounds like I will wait to get al at once. Thanks

6. Jun 11, 2018 at 3:34 AM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    Good to know. I can imagine that for 700# coils, the installed length is less.

7. Jun 18, 2018 at 5:48 PM
    jowybyo

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Baltimore, MD
    Vehicle:
    Did what you all suggested. Worked perfectly. Lubed it well and kept the pinch bolt snug. Got 3 full turns in them pretty easily.

8. Jul 3, 2018 at 7:09 AM
    Jibbs

Jibbs "When in doubt, throttle out!"

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Cincinnati
    Vehicle:
    2017 SCREW Raptor Lightning Blue
    Whoooooooshchchch
    So I apologize in advance if this is covered, I tried searching through the thread and probably just missed it.

I'm putting extended 2.5s with 700# springs on my truck tomorrow. I currently have OMEs with #650s and they sagged a noticeable bit when I put my bumper/winch on, and I dont like that. I need every bit of lift I can get in the front cause I'm on 35s and wheel. Does anyone else with the extended #700s have numbers on how many threads they have showing and what height that got them?

Also, I ordered the ADS spanner wrench instead of trying to use a punch to adjust things, I'm guessing with enough WD40 and a length of pipe I should be able to adjust preload with the springs on the truck.

9. Jul 3, 2018 at 8:40 AM
    Jerneyman

Member:
    First Name:
    Wes
    Huntsville, AL
    Vehicle:
    **Armor** Home Fabbed Hybrid Front Bumper Home Fabbed Rock Sliders Home Fabbed IFS Skid Plate Home Fabbed Mid Skid Plate Home Fabbed Transfer Case Skid Home Fabbed High Clearance Rear Bumper **Suspension** ADS Front Coilovers (Extended Travel, 700lb coils, Remote Resi) Total Chaos UCAs Chevy 63 Swap w/ custom shock hoops 14" Bilstein 7100s **Wheels/ Tires** Spidertrax 1.25" Wheel Spacers Front/Rear TRD Rock Warrior Wheels 285/75/16 BFG KO2s **Electrical** Pelfreybilt Auxiliary Fuse/Relay Panel Blue Sea Fuse Box Bussman 100 AMP Breaker **Recovery** Smittybilt 9.5k Winch **Lights** 20 Inch Single Row LED Bar Rigid Side Shooters (Flood/Pair) w/ CBI Offroad Ditch Light Brackets Rigid Duallys, Amber for fog lights **Miscelaneous Mods** Rear Diff Breather Relocation RAM Mount A-Pillar Mod w/ Garmin Power Cable DRT Fabrication Cab Mount Relocation Pinch Weld Mod (Mini Sledge Special) Short Rise Bed Bar for Tire Storage/ Hi-Lift Mount
    I'll take a look at my setup once I get off work. If I remember correctly I only had to adjust the passenger 4 full turns and the driver 6 full turns from the stock setting with 700 lb coils. This gave me the lift I wanted of about 2.5 inches from stock. I'll get you a thread count from the top of the shock and measurements from the center cap to the bottom of my fender later today.

05Taco4x4, TACOVRD and Jibbs[QUOTED] like this.
  10. Jul 3, 2018 at 2:00 PM
    jowybyo

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Baltimore, MD
    Vehicle:
    Interested in your measurements as well. I've added 6 turns more to the driver side and it's still 1/4" lower than the passenger side.

11. Jul 3, 2018 at 2:56 PM
    Jerneyman

Member:
    First Name:
    Wes
    Huntsville, AL
    Vehicle:
    So here’s my numbers. Height is measured from center of hub to the bottom of the stock, uncut fender flare.

Driver: 22 1/2 inches w/ 12 threads
    902746E4-3DA0-47F7-ADCA-FFCB1F3AAA29.jpg

Passenger: 22 5/8 inches w/ 6 threads
    BFB10FF5-8639-4D7C-8A1B-BFA00FC874CE.jpg

@jowybyo @Jibbs

TACOVRD likes this.
  12. Jul 3, 2018 at 3:24 PM
    TACOVRD

TACOVRD I Identify As A Prius

Member:
    First Name:
    TW Addict
    AZ/WA
    Vehicle:
    2019 T4R ORP - Formerly 2013 DCSB OR Spruce Mica
    Workin' on it....
    Noted for future.

13. Jul 3, 2018 at 3:35 PM
    jowybyo

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Baltimore, MD
    Vehicle:
    Thanks. I have 7 and 13 threads, but my measurements aren't quite as close as yours. I have about 1/4" difference. I don't have fender flares so my hub to fender measurements are a bit different.

Do you have skid plates and a winch in your bumper?

TACOVRD likes this.
  14. Jul 3, 2018 at 3:40 PM
    Jerneyman

Member:
    First Name:
    Wes
    Huntsville, AL
    Vehicle:
    I’ve got an aluminum winch bumper with a winch and rock sliders. Skids are in the works. Just waiting on my new Hobart 210 to show up. :D

scleaf likes this.
  15. Jul 3, 2018 at 3:44 PM
    jowybyo

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Baltimore, MD
    Vehicle:
    Nice. First welder?

16. Jul 3, 2018 at 3:46 PM
    Jerneyman

Member:
    First Name:
    Wes
    Huntsville, AL
    Vehicle:
    Yep. First one. I’ve been doing mechanical design at work the past couple years and have been wanting to dive in to actual fabrication. So this should be interesting.

RoaminRoman likes this.
  17. Jul 3, 2018 at 3:49 PM
    batacoma

batacoma Truck Wars

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Regular Cab 4spd
    I think I read about this before.

Anyone know if the piggy back rears I think they are 2.5s, bolt in with out having to notch, or modify the rear shock mount?

18. Jul 3, 2018 at 5:19 PM
    SixthSnail

SixthSnail I have no idea what I'm doing

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    '14 Tacoma Sport
    See Build in Sig
    They are built for the stock mounts so I would assume so.

To anybody else, I am going to run the 2.125's 12" smooth bodies on a BAMF shock relocation in the rear. Has anybody on here done this? I'm curious if then the piggyback can become an issue.

19. Jul 3, 2018 at 5:25 PM
    hoarder23

hoarder23 Truck fell over

Member:
    First Name:
    Shay
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    15 Pyrite Mica DCSB Sport
    Scratches
    The smooth body or a remote should work no problem but the BAMF kit doesn't play well with piggybacks.

20. Jul 3, 2018 at 5:37 PM
    SixthSnail

SixthSnail I have no idea what I'm doing

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    '14 Tacoma Sport
    See Build in Sig
    That is what I thought. So I'll have to custom order with a remote resi.

To Top