1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Advantage Hard Hat Tonneau - Review

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by Irieone, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Apr 8, 2011 at 8:38 AM
    Irieone

Irieone [OP] Member

Member:
    Hi everyone, I wanted to take a moment to share my perspective on the Hard Hat cover by Advantage. I lurked around this forum and others and could not find a review so here goes........

First let me preface my review with the following: I found my way to the HH cover after a horrible experience with the Extang Solid Fold cover. The Solid Fold is very poorly crafted. The Quality Control from the factory is abysmal. I actually went through 4 returns before giving up and landing on the Hard Hat. Every single Solid Fold cover had one or a combination of scratches, dents, glue residue, wrong seals, and broken hinges. Not to mention the cover leaks unacceptably.

Now to the review, I wanted a hard tri-fold cover that was easy on/off and required zero modification to the bed or factory rail system. I have a 2011 double cab, SR5 w/ long bed. The Hard Hat is the only thing I found that meets these requirements. A few bullets....

• the cover arrived in adequate packaging in contrast to the Extang Solid Fold
    • the instructions are very clear
    • the size/fit and finish is absolutely perfect
    • I was able to mount the cover in < 5 minutes with zero modification to the bed or railing system
    • the cover mounts with 4 clamps that are genious
    With regard to looks and composition...

• the cover is gorgeous, it is very solid with a heavy vinyl covering and is 1/2 the thickness of the Solid Fold
    • the vinyl cover protects the hinges (you cannot even see them) and hangs out over the edges of solid structure thus increasing water resistance.
    • the cover is much lighter than the Solid Fold
    • and last but not least, the Hard Hat cover looks BAD ASS!
    I have added a few pics for the masses. I hope this helps some of you make a decision. Hit me up if you have any questions.

5 stars for the Hard Hat cover by Advantage! I am now your biggest fan. :D

IMG_20110407_174124.jpg
    IMG_20110407_174134.jpg
    IMG_20110407_174140.jpg

canopycarl likes this.
  2. Apr 10, 2011 at 1:43 PM
    JFman00

JFman00 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    DC
    Vehicle:
    11 Access 4cyl man w/CP
    Any way we could see a picture with the cover partially folded?

3. Apr 25, 2011 at 6:11 AM
    Irieone

Irieone [OP] Member

Member:
    Sorry this took so long. I am still loving the cover and can report that it does not leak.

IMAG0037.jpg
    IMAG0038.jpg
    IMAG0039.jpg

4. Sep 19, 2011 at 2:15 PM
    buckeyes848

buckeyes848 Member

Member:
    Columbus
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCLB TRD Sport
    How is the hard hat holding up? Is everything still it good working order? Im looking at getting one but this is one of a few reviews

5. Jan 10, 2012 at 2:38 PM
    bizjettech

bizjettech Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sunny Florida
    Still happy with the hard hat cover?

6. Jan 10, 2012 at 3:36 PM
    penguins_cc

penguins_cc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Bellevue, WA
    Vehicle:
    Timberland Mica Limo!
    Perkins Performance Sliders, Warn 9000, Brute Force Fab front & rear bumper, OME/Dakar lift, full ATO skids and hi-lift mount, satoshi, Wet Okoles, illuminated 4x4 switch, Diff Breather.
    Wow guess this thread is still alive. I purchased the Hard Hat in September and couldn't be happier. I can remove or install it in under 2 minutes - the four clamps are awesome. It leave it on during the winter since it rains so much here, but it comes off quickly if I want to hit the trails. I still have use of the rails for tie-downs. It has the look of a vinyl cover but is a hard tri-fold which is exactly what I was looking for. It doesn't leak but I don't take it through the high pressure car wash. The fit is perfect and no complaints about quality.

7. Jan 10, 2012 at 3:50 PM
    bizjettech

bizjettech Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sunny Florida
    Thanks, I think I'm going to order a Premium Hard Hat cover. I like the fabric better. I had a snap tonneau years ago that was the same material, it was awesome!

8. Jan 10, 2012 at 3:57 PM
    penguins_cc

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Bellevue, WA
    Vehicle:
    Timberland Mica Limo!
    Perkins Performance Sliders, Warn 9000, Brute Force Fab front & rear bumper, OME/Dakar lift, full ATO skids and hi-lift mount, satoshi, Wet Okoles, illuminated 4x4 switch, Diff Breather.
    If you liked the snap tonneau, I think you'll really enjoy the Hart Hat Premium. I did a lot of looking around before I ordered the Hard Hat. Not sure why it doesn't get as much chatter on TW as some of the other tonneau covers, but I'll stand by mine 100%. One thing is that once I got it, it felt vulnerable because it's so easy to open the tailgate and walk away with the cover. That led to me installing a Pop n' Lock so problemo solved.

9. Jan 21, 2012 at 3:04 PM
    demo243

demo243 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Devon
    Topsfield MA
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB TRD 4x4
    Just got 1 of these for my 01 xtra cab and pretty happy with it so far. the ability to drive with it open is great, and it comes off in an instant if needed. Just wish it was about a 1/2 inch longer... it would fit perfect if it was instead of just good.

Got a pop lock on the way as well

10. Feb 8, 2012 at 7:53 PM
    RandyL

RandyL Active Member

Member:
    Yakima, WA
    Vehicle:
    2000 ExtraCab V6 5-speed
    How much weight can you put on the surface of the cover when it's installed? And do you know how much heavier it is than the soft version (TorzaTop)?

Thanks for the review!

11. Feb 8, 2012 at 9:07 PM
    penguins_cc

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Bellevue, WA
    Vehicle:
    Timberland Mica Limo!
    Not too much. I think the cross bracing is aluminum 1/2 square tube. Enough for a couple tools. Definitely wouldn't have my 30 pound daughter walk on it.

12. Feb 9, 2012 at 4:53 AM
    demo243

demo243 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Devon
    Topsfield MA
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB TRD 4x4
    Definitely cant support too much. I put bags and tools and stuff on it as im loading up the cab, but wouldnt want to have some one walk on it... someone makes one you can sit or stand on when it is folded, dont remember who, and this one was a bit less expensive and mounts so easily, and when i was looking was the only one directly claiming it can be driven with in the open position.

I was originally hopeing I could fab up a rack on top of it.. but not chance of that. My spring project is prob going to be to design/get fabbed a bed rack that I can use in conjunction with the tonneau.

Products Discussed in

To Top