1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

AdventureTaco - turbodb's build and adventures

Discussion in '1st Gen. Builds (1995-2004)' started by turbodb, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Jun 5, 2019 at 1:45 PM
    cynicalrider

cynicalrider #NFG

Member:
    Jersey
    Vehicle:
    01 SR5 TRD 4x4, '23 Bronco Wildtrak, 2017 HSQV FE350
    Drop bracket lift and booger welds
    So I am re-reading your shock mount stuff and I just wanted to look at some things. I see you basically lined the tube up with the old shock mount, and then put the new shock mounts on the tube facing forward. This let you put the entire tube above the frame instead of partially up the frame, while still being as high as possible, correct? I am really regretting not getting measurements of the bottom of the bed to the top of the frame for that section. :tinfoilhat:

2. Jun 5, 2019 at 2:15 PM
    turbodb

turbodb [OP] AdventureTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma Xcab 4x4 SR5 V6 TRD
    AdventureTaco
    Yes, mostly.

As far as positioning, I wanted to position the tube so that the shocks would be as close to vertical as possible. As it is, they still lean back slightly, but not much. It's close to where the original driver side shock mount was, but not exactly the same place. The right / best way to get the location is shown in this photo (in this post - might be worth going back and reading the text around it...):

[​IMG]
    Essentially what we determined was that the bed rested on the frame in two (relevant) places
    1. In the front - at the top of the curve - where you can see a nut stood "on its side," with the level resting on it. There, the cross-bar under the bed rested on the frame. And the cross-bar was 1" tall (as I recall).
    2. In the back, there is a cross frame at the mount that the speed square is resting on. There, the cross-bar height was 2" (or just slightly less - I know it looks like 1.75", but don't forget to account for the base of the speed square, approx. .25").
    So, we put the level at the height of the bottom of the bed (by compensating for the cross bars with the nut and speed square), and then moved the 1.75" tube as far forward as we could until it just barely didn't touch the level. So, what that means for you is that you have about 1.75" between the bed and frame, just in front of that bed mount. And there's less at the top of the curve - only about 1".

That allowed the tube to be as large as possible - 1.75" - without notching it. And in turn, allowed the top shock mounts to be as high as possible, since they are level with the top of the bar.

That help?

JasonLee and jubei like this.
  3. Jun 6, 2019 at 7:26 AM
    cynicalrider

cynicalrider #NFG

Member:
    Jersey
    Vehicle:
    01 SR5 TRD 4x4, '23 Bronco Wildtrak, 2017 HSQV FE350
    Drop bracket lift and booger welds
    Yes this helped a ton. But realistically you can move the tube anywhere under that line and clear the bed, you just need to notch the tube, correct? Great method for figuring this out. I think I will move my tube more forward like @Squeaky Penguin did and set the mounts facing backwards. This lets me access both the top and bottom shocks from the same direction, and even though notching the tube is more work, I feel the notch being in line with the boxed portion of the frame will add to the overall rigidity. Since you are not boxed, it makes sense that you went this route for sure.

turbodb[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  4. Jun 6, 2019 at 10:07 AM
    turbodb

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    AdventureTaco
    Yep, for sure as long as you're under that level line, your tube can go anywhere. Makes sense on the notching/rear access in your case. :thumbsup:

5. Jun 6, 2019 at 4:29 PM
    xtremewlr

xtremewlr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2003 4Runner V8 Limited
    4th gen T4R with a few mods
    Since I'm about to do this on my truck as well...

I plan on mounting the tube back slightly further than Dan did, on the rear side of the shock mount. I was able to slide the tube in place there with the bed on the truck. It sits just barely forward of the bed cross rail there and should maintain the stock angle of the driver side shock.

6. Jun 6, 2019 at 5:18 PM
    CowboyTaco

CowboyTaco $20 is $20

Member:
    North Georgia
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport

I'm sure you've covered this, but how are you running power to the fridge?

7. Jun 6, 2019 at 5:52 PM
    Suspender

Suspender Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    IE, CA
    See page 6, #105

8. Jun 6, 2019 at 6:17 PM
    turbodb

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    AdventureTaco
    Yeah, I ran 12V to the bed from my Bussman. Did it as part of getting the fridge, here: No More Ice Runs or Wet Sandwiches - ARB Fridge

Happy to answer questions if you have any.

[​IMG]

9. Jun 7, 2019 at 6:07 AM
    RobZ9132

RobZ9132 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Somewhere in NC
    Vehicle:
    2004 Double Cab TRD
    I followed this thread for a while and then got busy with life and wasn't able to read up. I share some pics with my wife on occasion as we are in the planning stages of a 1 month long 6k mile road trip!

A little delayed, but wanted to say congrats on the 3rd gen 4runner purchase! I own a 1st gen Tacoma (DC, TRD, E locker) and a 3rd gen 4runner (33s, Tundra 5100s, OME Springs, TBU, Snorkel, BudBuilt Skids, etc etc) as well and they are awesome!

Pic of my 4runner for funsies. The pic was taken from a video, at night, so it kind of sucks lol.

4runner lean.jpg

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
    turbodb[OP] likes this.
  10. Jun 10, 2019 at 3:55 PM
    turbodb

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    AdventureTaco
    Cold Day in Hell('s Canyon) Part 1 (May 2019)
    May 22, 2019.

Summer in the Pacific Northwest is hard to beat. So, I wouldn't blame you for wondering why - with a week of sun and 75°F in store before Memorial Day - we were headed for the inclimate weather of the Oregon-Idaho border and Hells Canyon.

So let's start there.

In what I believe to be a tradition that I've stumbled into, Monte @Blackdawg and Mike @Digiratus generally get together for a trip every Memorial Day, and this year the plan was go meet up in Lewiston, ID for a few days of puttering around and enjoying ourselves in the outdoors.

And - always looking for a way to get the most value for the mile we can - @mrs.turbodb and I decided that we'd head over a few days early to explore a place that she'd been bugging me to go for quite some time.

And that's why we were headed to Hells Canyon - where the forecast was iffy - our fingers crossed as we pulled out of the garage; our craziness confirmed.

[​IMG]

As it turns out, this was by far our closest destination in a long time - the entire drive doable in 7-8 hours, even at the great-grandpa speeds we'd be travelling. Along the way we passed through the Palouse - a land of rolling hills reminiscent of Windows desktop backgrounds.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We eventually found ourselves on the outskirts of Starbuck, WA, at the Lyons Ferry crossing. There, built in 1914 was what was once billed as the highest (240'), longest (3920') trestle in the world - and it was spectacular.

[​IMG]

Was it as amazing as what we'd seen in Anza-Borrego? Well, size isn't everything - the wooden trestle there still takes the cake in my opinion - but this one was definitely worthy of a stop for a few photos.

[​IMG]

Even having departed reasonably late in the morning, it wasn't quite 4:00pm when we pulled off the highway and onto a scenic byway that ran along the Grande Ronde (pronouced "Grand Rond") river. Expecting the road to turn to dirt any second we were caught a little off-guard when the pavement continued for the first several miles.

Not that we had anything to complain about - the views were still stunning - and perhaps more importantly, the temps were in the mid-70's, and despite the clouds in the sky, it looked like we weren't at any risk of rain...at least for the time being.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Our departure from the Grande Ronde came just before the town of Troy, OR - and as we turned east towards Hells Canyon, we finally hit well-graded dirt for a short stint up and out of the canyon and past what was quite clearly becoming the ghost town of Flora, OR.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was at this point that we found ourselves in a very unfamiliar situation. It was the same day we'd left home, we'd reached the location we were going to spend a few days exploring, and it wasn't dark. In fact, not only was it not dark, but we had a few hours until sunset.

Should we just find camp and wait until the next morning - when we'd planned to head up Forest Road 46 - or should we just plow ahead now? It was decisions like this that we were unaccustomed to, with most trips being 17-20 hours away from home; our arrival after midnight an expectation.

[​IMG]

Flush with our new-found time, we pushed forward. Surely - we thought - we wouldn't travel very far before we found camp for the night. And then tomorrow we'd continue to Buckhorn Lookout - the reason we'd taken this road in the first place.

Into Wallowa-Whitman National Forest and up in elevation we climbed. The clouds were actually getting thinner here - a great sign - though the winds were picking up and the elevation seemed to cool things off rather dramatically.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still feeling a bit out of place - or like we needed to find a place to stop for the night - I realized at some point we were just driving by things that we'd normally stop to explore or enjoy. And we nearly did it again with an old barn along the side of the road - likely private, but un-fenced and beckoning us to see what was inside.

[​IMG]

Turned out to be not much, but along a small creek just behind it, and something had caught my eye.

A wheel. One that looked like it might be connected to an axle of some sort. And one that didn't have the normal construction I think of when I think of a wagon wheel. And as it turned out, this was no wagon wheel.

This was an early Buick. Constructed of wooden spokes between a steel hub and steel rim, a little research after-the-fact showed this to be from a 1920's vintage machine, the differential just visible under the "pile of wood."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Excited with the find, we headed back to the truck and continued our climb to the top of the ridgeline - full of anticipation of what we'd see when we got there - sure that the views of Hells Canyon, the deepest gorge in North America - would be jaw-dropping.

As we did, we admired spring all around us - the hills green, the flowers plentiful.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We'd marked a short off-shoot of the main FR-46 to Red Hill Lookout and you can imagine our surprise when we came upon it - still well before dark. Surely - having reached an official lookout - this would be the place we'd camp for the evening. It did, after all, offer views of the Wallowa Mountains, even if they were shrouded in clouds.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With the wind blowing, and not much shelter, we made the call to push on. Spending the night with the tent flapping and the possibility of a lightning strike if there should be a thunderstorm wasn't our idea of the best way to start a trip, and it looked like the trail might offer a couple nice places to camp just a few miles up the road toward Buckhorn Lookout.

But nope, it didn't. Now up on - and following - the ridge as we wound our way first north, then east, and eventually south, it was clear that we found ourselves on the outskirts of Hells Canyon in the very eary spring. The ground was wet, the trail was muddy, and the creeks were bursting their banks, flowing over into the lush mountain valleys. Not really an ideal place to pitch a tent and then slosh around making dinner.

And that is how we found ourselves at Buckhorn Lookout, a little after 7:00pm. Now - essentially - a full day ahead of schedule.

[​IMG]

Of course, I didn't let on my concern - that we wouldn't have enough to keep us busy - to @mrs.turbodb, as we got out to look around. In the distance, the Seven Devils rose up along the south-eastern edge of Hells Canyon - the sun highlighting them under some ominous clouds.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was cold. 500' higher than we'd been at Red Hill Lookout, this too wasn't where we wanted to camp - and that meant we had to keep pushing forward. Or, at least we had to keep pushing.

We headed off down an offshoot that looked promising. Trees, and a bit of road that appeared to be sheltered by a ridge from the easterly wind, were visible on our GPS, and when we arrived at what turned out to be the end of the road (due to a locked gate), we were very pleasantly surprised.

It was near perfect. The wind was held at bay by the ridge, the site was elevated and dry on some gravelly terrain, and there were views. I wondered quietly - of the dozens of spring bear hunters we'd seen so far, how was no one here already?

[​IMG]

As I got to work on the tent and some guacamole, @mrs.turbodb set about making tacos on the tailgate. Yeah, this was going to be a tasty dinner.

[​IMG]

We made quick work of our meal and pulled out our Kindles to relax a bit before hitting the sack. As we did, the sun began its descent towards the horizon, the colors of the sky seemingly vibrant and muted - depending on the direction of view - in these last few minutes of light.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Eventually the fireball retreated out of sight, it's orange glow to the west slowly fading away.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It'd been a reasonably long day, but still shorter than what we're used to for the first day of a trip. We were tired, but only just, as we climbed up into the tent - fingers crossed that the weather would hold, and full of anticipation for what the next day would bring.

One thing was for certain - what we got was not what we were expecting...

SuperBad, Ret CB, igc and 21 others like this.
  11. Jun 11, 2019 at 8:03 AM
    LTDSC

LTDSC 32oz of fun

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    NorCal
    after reading all your trip reports i've come to the conclusion you either go into things expecting nothing or really like using the word for anticipation points

Either way, always good photos.

12. Jun 11, 2019 at 8:46 AM
    Blackdawg

Blackdawg Dr. Frankenstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    ALL OF THEM!...Then some more.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIYoyvW3J9Q

13. Jun 11, 2019 at 9:06 AM
    turbodb

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    AdventureTaco
    Gotta keep the readers coming back for more, ehh? ;)

hahahahaha, love it

I mean, I guess if you always approach life as "let's see how it goes and hope it's fun," then ya, a bit of both!

rob1208 and LTDSC[QUOTED] like this.
  14. Jun 11, 2019 at 9:07 AM
    Blackdawg

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    I mean...that's pretty much what we do right? ha

turbodb[QUOTED][OP] and LTDSC like this.
  15. Jun 11, 2019 at 9:08 AM
    LTDSC

LTDSC 32oz of fun

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    NorCal
    i mean, i still come back. So clearly it works :anonymous:

rob1208 and turbodb[QUOTED][OP] like this.
  16. Jun 12, 2019 at 7:45 AM
    turbodb

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    AdventureTaco
    Hells Canyon Part 2 - Zumwalt Prairie to Hat Point
    May 23, 2019.

It was a chilly night at 5300', but our strategic position behind the ridge line meant that we were unaffected by the bulk of the wind - a knit cap enough to keep me cozy, and @mrs.turbodb wanting only for her earplugs in the morning when the birds started singing.

And it was early when they did - sunrise was at 5:07am, and the first light on the horizon started well before 4:30am, spreading across the sky in its glorious trek.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Eventually, there was enough light to illuminate Imnaha Canyon below us - the hills and valleys unfolding into the distance. It was the perfect time to climb back into the tent for another couple hours of sleep.

As one does.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was closer to 7:30am when we finally pulled ourselves out of the tent for breakfast and a bathroom break, the tent now warm from the morning sun hitting it on three sides. As usual, we split up the morning tasks of breakfast and camp break-down, so it wasn't long before we bid farewell to what I can only imagine was the best camp site on the ridge, and headed back towards Buckhorn Lookout, the Wallowa mountains rising in the distance.

[​IMG]

Having spent a few minutes at the lookout the evening before, there was no great surprise when we pulled up to the unassuming 14-foot-square building placed only a couple feet above the ground when it was built in the 1930s. Unlike most lookouts, Buckhorn is perched on the edge of Hell's Canyon - giving it commanding views of its surroundings - the Seven Devils, Hat Point, Zumwalt Prairie, and Wallowa Mountains, all visible along the horizon.

Still, unlike the evening before, the sun was out in full force and though the lookout is no longer staffed, it wasn't hard to imagine what it'd be like to spend a spring and summer here, amongst the wildflowers and views.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A bit of exploration - @mrs.turbodb reading the signs and the great descriptions in 100 Hikes / Travel Guide: Eastern Oregon, me checking to see if any of the boarded-up windows were loose so we could get a peek into the lookout :wink: - and we decided it was time to move on. All of our progress the previous day meant that today was going to be a little awkward - and either very short or a tad long as we tried to get back into a routine.

And we generally have a hard time with short days, a habit we've developed as we try to squeeze as much as we can into our long jaunts from home. Our next destination was the little town of Imnaha - south, and some 3500' lower than our current elevation - where we planned to turn north again on our way to Dug Bar.

I'd put together a track for this portion of the trip, and unknown to me at the time, it took us through the vast Zumwalt Prairie. When I say vast, I mean seriously vast - 330,000 acres. And to see it when we did - at the height of spring - was something special. Green grass as far as the eye could see.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Elk at the treeline.

[​IMG]

Halfway or so through the prairie, we came to the road I'd marked that would take us down into Imnaha. A fence-line road, it was clearly less traveled than the well-graded FR-46 that we'd been on to this point, but that wasn't what caught our eye as we pulled up to the gate. Rather, it was the lock that had us pondering our next move.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This of course is one of the drawbacks of using Google Maps/Earth to create a track - the work you do can look great from a satellite image taken years earlier, but who really knows what you'll find on the ground! While we were unsure wheather this was a new lock (which it looked to be) or if this was never a passable route, we took a look at our maps and decided we could take a reasonable re-route through the Zumwalt Prairie Preserve, so we headed that direction.

[​IMG]

This reroute - it turned out - had a few highlights in store for us. With plenty of recent rain and snow melt, there were some reasonably sized puddles on the road - a temptation that few truck owners would be able to pass up.

And I'm not one of them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After this little run, we noticed a couple birders on the preserve with their binoculars pointed in our direction. It was, we like to tell ourselves, the highlight of their day as well. :rofl:

The truck a bit cleaner - or rather, less muddy but now covered in a thin film of dirty water - we continued towards Imnaha, the road much less maintained than FR-46, but still easily passable for us without airing down. And then - traffic!

[​IMG]

I knew immediately that what we had in front of us - I mean, besides a 2nd gen Tacoma - were a couple of birders. I've been around Pops long enough to recognize the speed, braking pattern, and arm pointed out the window toward some seemingly-meaningless underbrush. Probably containing a bird.

We coasted along behind them for a while until they got out - binoculars in hand - to observe what was probably a rare find - likely a flockus aroundus, or the ever elusive hideus-inthebush-us. At that point, they noticed us and proceeded to pull over after carefully observing what I could only hope was a life bird.

Once again making good time, it was now @mrs.turbodb's morning nap time. As such, I shouldn't have been surprised that as we rounded a corner and I exclaimed, "Wild Turkeys!" she nearly jumped out of her seat.

"Oops."

[​IMG]

We passed through Imnaha not much later, stopping only briefly to take in the town - captured here in it's entirety - and some stunning California Poppies.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As I mentioned before, our plan at this point had been to turn north out of own along Lower Imnaha Road towards Dug Bar, but some atypical quick thinking on my part and we decided that a better idea would be to head south. That would take us up Hat Point Road, to elevations above 7000' where we expected to be stopped by snow. Rather than end up there at the end of the day and have to camp in the cold, it seemed to be a good idea to do that first, and then camp at Dug Bar's much warmer 1900' elevation.

So, we continued south, and the climb into Hells Canyon started immediately.

[​IMG]

The climb of course afforded us more amazing views of the mountains and valleys, and in typical fashion, we began our slow trek through a new place. Each bend offering something we just had to stop for.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And then, at 5400' we hit our first patch of snow. With 1600' more feet to go to Hat Point, it wasn't looking good. And our case wasn't helped when we ran into a Forest Service employee a couple miles later who informed us that, "In that truck, you'll make it as far as anyone can, but you aren't going to make it to Hat Point."

[​IMG]

Determined to make it as far as we could - or rather, just short of that so we didn't get stuck again - we continued on. An overlook of Upper Imnaha Valley provided a great spot for a poser shot, and would later be the perfect spot for us to enjoy delicious turkey sandwiches as we took in the view.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Amazing what a little perspective shift can do. :wink:

Up and up we continued. 5800', 6000', 6500' - the snow was becoming more plentiful, and the temperatures were dropping - we were glad that this wasn't going to be where we camped for the night. But the views continued to get better - the Seven Devils finally showing themselves as we crested the second-to-last ridge before reaching Hat Point.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But it wasn't long - perhaps only 2-3 miles - after we passed Saddle Creek Campground and it's dozens of bear hunters, that the white stuff blocked our path. Could this be Hells Canyon and the Seven Devils just toying with us? At 6666' feet on the GPS, it was, if nothing else, a fitting stopping point.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We got ourselves turned around and started back down the road - pausing once again when we noticed an entire hillside covered in Glacier Lilies - framed by the Seven Devils, a sight to see.

[​IMG]

And with that - and a bit of lunch - we headed back down the hill towards Imnaha - the 80°F warmth of the valley beckoning us down out of the 55°F mountain temps.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

... to be continued ...​

17. Jun 12, 2019 at 8:47 AM
    Blackdawg

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    Ah sorry. We ran into the locked gate as well. Forgot about that.

m3bassman and turbodb[OP] like this.
  18. Jun 12, 2019 at 8:51 AM
    RDT415

RDT415 DUCTACO

Member:
    Sonoma County
    Vehicle:
    23 TRD Pro 6MT / past 04 DCSB 4WD
    Sub'd for the valuable build info and trip reports.

turbodb[OP] likes this.
  19. Jun 12, 2019 at 11:53 AM
    BKinzey

BKinzey Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Beauford
    Hollywierd, CA
    Vehicle:
    2015 White Tacoma Access Cab TRD Off Road 4x4 V6
    RCI aluminum front skid, SnugTop, Sliders, bedside supports, LED interior, CaliRaised fogs & brackets, rear diff breather mod, DIY bed platform
    Once again, a nice story and great pics. I've been out to the Imnaha, Hells Canyon, Snake River area 3 or 4 times before. Long enough ago I recognize the names but have forgotten the specific places I've been to. Great to see it once more, makes me want to jump in the truck and head out there.

CowboyTaco and turbodb[OP] like this.
  20. Jun 12, 2019 at 12:57 PM
    turbodb

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    AdventureTaco
    No worries at all. Little stuff like that is what makes trips fun. :thumbsup:

Glad you're enjoying! :cheers:

Such a beautiful place in the spring for sure! Lots of hunters it there right now though.

Do it! :rofl:

Products Discussed in

To Top