1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

AdventureTaco - turbodb's build and adventures

Discussion in '1st Gen. Builds (1995-2004)' started by turbodb, Apr 4, 2017.

1. May 15, 2019 at 5:56 PM
    HABOOBS

HABOOBS 3rd Year Member / Long time TW Lurker

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Phoenix AZ
    Vehicle:
    2008 AZ-BASED DCSB
    Thats kinda what I figured... and probably 1.5 hours from Whitmore to Toroweap?

Also I know you need a permit to camp near Toroweap, but did you need one for Whitmore?

2. May 15, 2019 at 5:59 PM
    Speedytech7

Speedytech7 Toyota Cult Ombudsman

Member:
    First Name:
    Zane
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    1993 Land Cruiser Triple Locked
    I've done a mod or two
    I don't think either of us would get angry, just know that if you get stuck with us or we get stuck with you to expect laughing (and we expect you to laugh at us too) before we help each other. Of course wheeling together we all have one of something so shit gets done real efficient haha

CowboyTaco and turbodb [OP] like this.
  3. May 15, 2019 at 6:12 PM
    turbodb

turbodb [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma Xcab 4x4 SR5 V6 TRD
    AdventureTaco
    I think you probably realized this, but I was using winches and lockers as an example of stuff we spend money on to make our rigs more capable and things that can arguably help in certain situations (just like traction boards). Not as "the" replacement for traction boards.

I can't be all that wrong if you've been doing this for 8+ years and still don't have any, and if they haven't been used through the last two years of multi-week trips :luvya:. But I agree with you on the fuel, water, etc. And on the need to constantly re-evaluate. These Rig Reviews I've started are a good example of that, and really help to highlight things that are good or need improvement.

No idea on that timing, but likely longer than that - we don't do anything in 1.5 hours. But, you shouldn't really be basing your times on ours anyway. Just figure out your route and enjoy the outdoors for however long it takes.

Best way to figure out permits is to call the North Rim Ranger office; they'll get you setup - things change depending on the dates you're going.

I would expect nothing less. :D Actually, I'm just hoping Ben gets some boards, so he has some around the next time/if we need them.

Speedytech7 and m3bassman like this.
  4. May 15, 2019 at 6:15 PM
    Speedytech7

Member:
    First Name:
    Zane
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    I've done a mod or two
    I've had a cheapo set floating around for a while but going around in the desert the last few trips they never get dragged outta the gear closet. I don't know about you but I don't always bring the same stuff for each trip.

5. May 15, 2019 at 6:19 PM
    Speedytech7

Member:
    First Name:
    Zane
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    I've done a mod or two
    When @turbodb says he stops every hundred feet or so to take pictures he isn't exaggerating. I'm talking full on outta the truck picture taking. So once we have an average time for picture taking and stopping and starting the truck we can start to figure out real times by using that and the number of pictures taken on that stretch of road... Then factor in speed.... Yeah you know what, don't base times off him :D

turbodb [OP] likes this.
  6. May 15, 2019 at 6:52 PM
    m3bassman

m3bassman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma
    Lol I hadn't been around them much until two years ago.

If I have a set, you better find some sticks and a shovel and only when those fail... :luvya:

BYJOSHCOOK and CowboyTaco like this.
  7. May 15, 2019 at 6:56 PM
    Blackdawg

Blackdawg Dr. Frankenstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    ALL OF THEM!...Then some more.
    Thats because the only time you do anything hard is with us :luvya: haha

Nah was longer than that. We had to double back to the School house too. Granted there is a more "direct route" but is supposed to be a much much harder trail. We didn't have time to find out how much harder. Takes ATVs a few hours though.

Yetimetchkangmi and Speedytech7 like this.
  8. May 15, 2019 at 7:11 PM
    m3bassman

Member:
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma
    More like, you fuckers can't drive :D

9. May 15, 2019 at 7:36 PM
    INBONESTRYKER

INBONESTRYKER Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    WY
    Vehicle:
    '96 access cab 3.4 5 spd manual 4X4
  10. May 15, 2019 at 8:43 PM
    HABOOBS

HABOOBS 3rd Year Member / Long time TW Lurker

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Phoenix AZ
    Vehicle:
    2008 AZ-BASED DCSB
    Appreciate the info...

11. May 15, 2019 at 8:43 PM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Roaming the PNW
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    2002 XtraCab TRD 4x4 v6 Auto Trans With Lots of Mods King Extended Travel COs Camburg Uniball UCAs Whiteline Lower Control Arm Bushings Alcan Custom 8-Leaf Rear Spring Packs Fox 2.0 Resi Rear Shocks FrankenFab Rear Shock Relocate All-Pro U-bolt Flip w/Timbren bumps Toytec 1" Extended Shackle 4.88 Nitro Gears ARB Front Locker ARB Twin Compressor Gunmetal 16x8 SCS Ray10s 285/75r16 Cooper STT Pros Limited Edition Relentless Front Bumper Smittybilt X2O 10K Winch 3" LED Pods w/Amber covers in the Bumper 22" Single Row LED Bar on the Bumper Mini D2S Projectors XB35 Ballasts + 4500K Bulbs Badland Sliders FrankenFab Tire Carrier Swingout bumper w/kitchen BudBuilt Front & Bellypan Skids BAMF Rear Diff Skid Whynter 65 qt. Fridge/Freezer CVT Mt Bachelor RTT Badland Custom Bed Rack GM 140 amp alternator Dual Northstar 24F AGM batteries BlueSea 7622 ML-ACR Battery controller Peak DBI Dual Battery Voltage Monitor Magnaflow 18" Muffler 13WL Brake Calipers Braided Steel Brake Lines AFE Pro Dry S air filter ScanGauge II OBDII Scanner Kenwood TM-71A Dual Band Ham Radio Larson 70CM/2M Antenna Uniden 520xl CB radio 3' Firestik Adjustable tip antenna Pioneer DEH-P9400BH HU Alpine Amps & Type R components (F) and coaxials (R) Wet Okole Seat Covers Weathertech Digital Liners Deck Plate Mod 1" Diff Drop Carrier Bearing Drop
    If you are referring to that day on the mountain up behind your in-laws place, my issue was tires. The locker is never the tool of choice in snow. Especially the steep inclince we ended up turning around at.

IMO the root of the trouble the turbodb's had was two fold. One was being alone. And the second was tires.

Yetimetchkangmi likes this.
  12. May 15, 2019 at 8:48 PM
    turbodb

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    AdventureTaco
    I wouldn't have it any other way.

I'm glad you guys are back to this; last year sucked. Now we all just need to go on a trip together again so we can't drive on some hard trails.

:thumbsup:

The alone I'll go with - always better to have a second. Having been there, I think any tires would have had a similar issue - it was just too mucky. Even your STT Pro's had a tough time in shallower slick mud on F.U.Rain. The suction and nearly immediately up to the axle means you need something else. Like another vehicle (to your point).

Risks of solo travel, which to me are worth it when I can't wrangle someone else into coming along :).

[​IMG]

vonellis and Yetimetchkangmi like this.
  13. May 15, 2019 at 9:00 PM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Roaming the PNW
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    2002 XtraCab TRD 4x4 v6 Auto Trans With Lots of Mods King Extended Travel COs Camburg Uniball UCAs Whiteline Lower Control Arm Bushings Alcan Custom 8-Leaf Rear Spring Packs Fox 2.0 Resi Rear Shocks FrankenFab Rear Shock Relocate All-Pro U-bolt Flip w/Timbren bumps Toytec 1" Extended Shackle 4.88 Nitro Gears ARB Front Locker ARB Twin Compressor Gunmetal 16x8 SCS Ray10s 285/75r16 Cooper STT Pros Limited Edition Relentless Front Bumper Smittybilt X2O 10K Winch 3" LED Pods w/Amber covers in the Bumper 22" Single Row LED Bar on the Bumper Mini D2S Projectors XB35 Ballasts + 4500K Bulbs Badland Sliders FrankenFab Tire Carrier Swingout bumper w/kitchen BudBuilt Front & Bellypan Skids BAMF Rear Diff Skid Whynter 65 qt. Fridge/Freezer CVT Mt Bachelor RTT Badland Custom Bed Rack GM 140 amp alternator Dual Northstar 24F AGM batteries BlueSea 7622 ML-ACR Battery controller Peak DBI Dual Battery Voltage Monitor Magnaflow 18" Muffler 13WL Brake Calipers Braided Steel Brake Lines AFE Pro Dry S air filter ScanGauge II OBDII Scanner Kenwood TM-71A Dual Band Ham Radio Larson 70CM/2M Antenna Uniden 520xl CB radio 3' Firestik Adjustable tip antenna Pioneer DEH-P9400BH HU Alpine Amps & Type R components (F) and coaxials (R) Wet Okole Seat Covers Weathertech Digital Liners Deck Plate Mod 1" Diff Drop Carrier Bearing Drop
    Yeah, that was some nasty shit. Not sure how that compares to the situation you found yourself in tho. And I don't recall getting stuck that day either or having to pull out surf boards or sage brush or lockers to get going.

BYJOSHCOOK and CowboyTaco like this.
  14. May 15, 2019 at 9:09 PM
    turbodb

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    AdventureTaco
    Yeah, just imagine that it was 18" deep and no rocks at all. Oh, and covered in moving water.

Honestly, my mistake wasn't even really "single truck." It was "dumb decision at this point." (after intending to make a smart decision)

15. May 15, 2019 at 9:27 PM
    m3bassman

Member:
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma
    Can't you just shut up? Youre ruining my point :luvya:
    Last year sucked?
    The biggest skill of all is knowing when to turn around. I learned that long ago, the hard way. It's probably a big factor of why I "avoid hard trails" these days. Solo travel requires a level of timidness to be able to make it home on tight timelines, in my experience.

sawbladeduller likes this.
  16. May 15, 2019 at 9:41 PM
    turbodb

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    AdventureTaco
    You two weren't even talking.
    We're agreeing I guess, with a tweak. It's actually turning around when you know you should turn around. 'Cause as I wrote - I knew to do it, and then didn't. hahahaha

Now that I think about it, we could have avoided the entire traction board, locker, tire, etc., etc., etc. conversation if I'd just actually turned around. But then I wouldn't have had a fun story, that everyone (including me) could laugh at me for and tell me how they would have done it better!

OK, I'm done with this topic. Let's move on.

m3bassman likes this.
  17. May 15, 2019 at 10:12 PM
    Blackdawg

Blackdawg Dr. Frankenstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    ALL OF THEM!...Then some more.
    Okay. New topic.

You're welcome for the muk boots :D

turbodb [OP] likes this.
  18. May 16, 2019 at 1:33 AM
    BKinzey

BKinzey Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Beauford
    Hollywierd, CA
    Vehicle:
    2015 White Tacoma Access Cab TRD Off Road 4x4 V6
    None yet
    So back to Borax Lake.

When looking at it, it looked to be about a foot deep. I wondered if it was man made or altered for the Borax operations. Did you get that impression?

Borax Hot Springs, I walked about half way and I could see man made stuff in the distance. Didn't seem like much and I decided not to continue. Did you venture all the way out there? I also liked the pool with the "bridge" in it.

I should have stayed in the area for another day but I headed south back into CA for the next night and then home to LA.

turbodb [OP] likes this.
  19. May 16, 2019 at 5:28 AM
    CowboyTaco

CowboyTaco $20 is $20

Member:
    North Georgia
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport
    The third was pulling forward....

....oh wait, that already got addressed.

and I agree, time to move on. But first, FWIW, if I traveled as often as you guys do, I'd probably have a set. Especially for the whole leveling out the truck with the RTT thing. You know you want more expo points.

SO, I was reminded of one of your recent previous posts last night. I was looking for a breather so that I could show someone else where it goes on their truck. I couldn't find it, but I did find a torn CV boot. My frame just looked too new and shiny! Then I remembered that I needed to drive 64 miles today. So I contemplated whether I should call in to work or work from home.....but I have meetings today in the office that I really need to attend in person. I figured if you could continue on a trip on dirt roads for a while that I should be fine on pavement! I also googled it to see other people's experience and it seems like non-Toyota means park it and replace ASAP, while Toyota you can drive 200 - 1000 miles before doing any "real" damage. I couldn't remember though...is the one that you had to reboot and perform the impossible several times the same one that you drove on with the torn boot, or was that the other side?

I ordered the Cardone HD CV Axle from RockAuto and it will be here Monday. I'm thinking I want to rebuild the one that comes off, but I don't want to spend the money on the reboot kit if I trash the bearings by driving it today. What say you (since you have recent experience)?

20. May 16, 2019 at 8:41 AM
    turbodb

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    AdventureTaco
    They are great, aren't they? I have those in my upcoming rig review too. So nice to not have to be concerned that you're sinking 8" into suction mud when you're digging out your truck. And they let you walk water/mud before you mistakenly pull forward into it. So nice.

Borax lake is naturally the depth that it is - and you're right that it's super shallow. As a hot spring (that's what the lake actually is), what has happened is that as water and borax is pushed up to the earth's surface, the borax solidifies and builds up. It's built up "a bit more" around the edges of the lake (more evaporation there), which is what keeps the water in the lake at all. Still, the lake - not sure if you noticed - is about 20' higher than the surrounding area. That's because the entire lake has risen over the years as the borax has "built" it's own hill.

Seriously cool geology.

We walked to the end of the hot springs to the north, but didn't go further. The book we had said that the man-made stuff was remnants of ranching, which is how the land was used immediately prior to being purchased from the nature conservancy.

LOL, I'd get more shit for leveling the truck on traction boards than I've gotten for not carrying any!

Besides, I stole an idea from @Digiratus and use several different length 2x6's for leveling. Works amazingly well, cleans up easier, and packs way tighter - seen here. I'm thinking I can use the longer ones for the 2x4 traction trick mentioned earlier.

You can easily drive on-pavement today and not wreck your CV. I mean, how long has it already been split for, and you've been driving on it? I drove for a week in dirt on a torn boot, and Mike drove for 2 weeks with his torn boot in mud, and both "came out fine."

The one I had the trouble with was the one I found immediately and fixed, not the one that I'd completed two trips on :).

Products Discussed in

To Top