1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

AdventureTaco - turbodb's build and adventures

Discussion in '1st Gen. Builds (1995-2004)' started by turbodb, Apr 4, 2017.

1. May 24, 2019 at 3:27 PM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Roaming the PNW
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    2002 XtraCab TRD 4x4 v6 Auto Trans With Lots of Mods King Extended Travel COs Camburg Uniball UCAs Whiteline Lower Control Arm Bushings Alcan Custom 8-Leaf Rear Spring Packs Fox 2.0 Resi Rear Shocks FrankenFab Rear Shock Relocate All-Pro U-bolt Flip w/Timbren bumps Toytec 1" Extended Shackle 4.88 Nitro Gears ARB Front Locker ARB Twin Compressor Gunmetal 16x8 SCS Ray10s 285/75r16 Cooper STT Pros Limited Edition Relentless Front Bumper Smittybilt X2O 10K Winch 3" LED Pods w/Amber covers in the Bumper 22" Single Row LED Bar on the Bumper Mini D2S Projectors XB35 Ballasts + 4500K Bulbs Badland Sliders FrankenFab Tire Carrier Swingout bumper w/kitchen BudBuilt Front & Bellypan Skids BAMF Rear Diff Skid Whynter 65 qt. Fridge/Freezer CVT Mt Bachelor RTT Badland Custom Bed Rack GM 140 amp alternator Dual Northstar 24F AGM batteries BlueSea 7622 ML-ACR Battery controller Peak DBI Dual Battery Voltage Monitor Magnaflow 18" Muffler 13WL Brake Calipers Braided Steel Brake Lines AFE Pro Dry S air filter ScanGauge II OBDII Scanner Kenwood TM-71A Dual Band Ham Radio Larson 70CM/2M Antenna Uniden 520xl CB radio 3' Firestik Adjustable tip antenna Pioneer DEH-P9400BH HU Alpine Amps & Type R components (F) and coaxials (R) Wet Okole Seat Covers Weathertech Digital Liners Deck Plate Mod 1" Diff Drop Carrier Bearing Drop
    As someone who drives between SLC and Boise, you know that this isn't very much of an option.

That headwind is brutal. :frusty:

turbodb [OP] likes this.
  2. May 24, 2019 at 3:38 PM
    m3bassman

m3bassman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma
    We made it from West Wendover to home on single tank (go ahead and put that into google...) And we had that headwind hit us. I wasn't sure we were gonna make it.

Last weekend we had a tail wind in both directions by some grace of God. I think you would like the scenery here. Maybe make a good overnight spot for your long commute to Wyoming.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 24, 2019
    CowboyTaco, mgmdclb and Digiratus like this.
  3. May 24, 2019 at 3:41 PM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Roaming the PNW
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    2002 XtraCab TRD 4x4 v6 Auto Trans With Lots of Mods King Extended Travel COs Camburg Uniball UCAs Whiteline Lower Control Arm Bushings Alcan Custom 8-Leaf Rear Spring Packs Fox 2.0 Resi Rear Shocks FrankenFab Rear Shock Relocate All-Pro U-bolt Flip w/Timbren bumps Toytec 1" Extended Shackle 4.88 Nitro Gears ARB Front Locker ARB Twin Compressor Gunmetal 16x8 SCS Ray10s 285/75r16 Cooper STT Pros Limited Edition Relentless Front Bumper Smittybilt X2O 10K Winch 3" LED Pods w/Amber covers in the Bumper 22" Single Row LED Bar on the Bumper Mini D2S Projectors XB35 Ballasts + 4500K Bulbs Badland Sliders FrankenFab Tire Carrier Swingout bumper w/kitchen BudBuilt Front & Bellypan Skids BAMF Rear Diff Skid Whynter 65 qt. Fridge/Freezer CVT Mt Bachelor RTT Badland Custom Bed Rack GM 140 amp alternator Dual Northstar 24F AGM batteries BlueSea 7622 ML-ACR Battery controller Peak DBI Dual Battery Voltage Monitor Magnaflow 18" Muffler 13WL Brake Calipers Braided Steel Brake Lines AFE Pro Dry S air filter ScanGauge II OBDII Scanner Kenwood TM-71A Dual Band Ham Radio Larson 70CM/2M Antenna Uniden 520xl CB radio 3' Firestik Adjustable tip antenna Pioneer DEH-P9400BH HU Alpine Amps & Type R components (F) and coaxials (R) Wet Okole Seat Covers Weathertech Digital Liners Deck Plate Mod 1" Diff Drop Carrier Bearing Drop
    I saw the pics when you posted them last week. Looked amazing.

m3bassman likes this.
  4. May 24, 2019 at 6:07 PM
    mgmdclb

mgmdclb Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Maritimes, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM DCLB Sport
    Must be sailing :p

turbodb [OP] likes this.
  5. May 27, 2019 at 7:55 PM
    turbodb

turbodb [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma Xcab 4x4 SR5 V6 TRD
    AdventureTaco
    I do still track my MPGs, despite all the crap that these crazies give me. :luvya: Tracking your MPGs is good IMO because it tells you a lot about how your truck is running. I knew long before I got a P0171 that there was something wrong b/c my MPGs dropped off. Turns out I was running super rich, which made sense. Plus, I think it's fun. I mean - why not do it? You're driving anyway and it takes no time. And as a competitive-in-everything-I-do kind of guy, I'm competitive with myself on getting good MPGs. Doesn't mean you can't go fast when you want to - I've caravaned with guys at 75mph or more, and I don't think there's anyone who would say I can't hold my own on the trails when I want to :).

I track quite a bit I guess. Obviously the miles and gallons for each fill-up, but then also where I got the gas (brand), the octane rating, and the type of driving for the tank. I also calculate the actual (adjusted) MPGs based on the error between my odo/speedo and actual GPS speed. So yeah, lots of data. The truck isn't a DD anymore, so it's always fully loaded.

For me, the armor wasn't what affected MPGs - bigger (heavier) tires were the main problem, and then the lower gears meant that my revs were always higher (which some will say improves MPGs, but none of us - on either side of the argument - have any data to back up whether it's better to have higher RPMs and be in the power band, or lower RPMs to be using less fuel).

My average pre-mods was ~18. After front bumper, winch, sliders, and skids, was ~17.8 and post bigger/heavier tires I'm now at 16.27.

Here's the spreadsheet with the values (I've removed the formulas that build this all up because...dunno, IP issues).

Hahahahahaha, was fun seeing ya, and thanks for the pre-warning of all this. 62 is a great speed - not optimal MPGs there (that happens at 35mph in 5th gear with a tailwind) - but reasonably good in that I can generally get in the ~16.5-17.5 range in non-windy conditions.

And cool places are all far away when you live up in the corner of the country. I think you'd admit that you understand the desire to get out there. Glad for the shorter drive this trip though, compared to you anyway! (Hope you get home safe.)

Well, only sort of true. If there are two similar distance routes and one has a tailwind, I'll take it. But I mean, I don't get lost or add time to a trip for the wind. Just seems smart to me. :notsure: Easier on the truck too, so less strain and stuff to fix over time.

:p Takes one to know one buddy. :fistbump:

^^^This. Zane knows where it's at.

Not me. But I have had the competitive bug for my entire life. I have to admit some satisfaction when I'm on a trip with all the guys giving me shit, and I put in 2 gallons less fuel every fill up. The money doesn't matter at all, it's the frustration from the other side of the pump that I love! :rofl:

LOL. I despise...no, that's not the right word - I really just don't enjoy sailing - too slow and too much work. I much prefer a speedy boat or jet ski.

Area51Runner and greengaint97 like this.
  6. May 27, 2019 at 8:04 PM
    Speedytech7

Speedytech7 Toyota Cult Ombudsman

Member:
    First Name:
    Zane
    PHX, AZ
    Vehicle:
    1993 Land Cruiser Triple Locked
    I done a mod or two
    And I still got better MPG while using more skinny pedal with my little supercharged 4 banger haha

You'd have been proud of me though the other day when I was road tripping the cruiser. I got 17.6 out of a vehicle the EPA only rated for 13 while still going 75mph

turbodb [OP] likes this.
  7. May 27, 2019 at 8:10 PM
    turbodb

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    AdventureTaco
    Nice! Tailwind and high->low elevation change? And over what distance was this road trip?

That's the other thing that I always think is funny - "I drove 10 miles and got 24 MPG." That means little to me - I want to see averages over a few hundred miles. (And I know that when you say 'road trip' you don't mean 10 miles, hahahaha.)

And yeah, I did have two more cylinders to fill all the time when you had a Tacoma :p. Which none of us are happy about btw.

8. May 27, 2019 at 8:58 PM
    Blackdawg

Blackdawg Dr. Frankenstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    ALL OF THEM!...Then some more.
    Whoa whoa...2 gallons more?? Pffff. Since when was comparing to the red head everyone? Haha if I recall. You and I are usually within a gallon or so. Which ain't bad considering I let mine idle much more than you and let be real...a little more aggressive with the skinny pedal.

Though in another year you'll be going faster than I can in Igor at this rate :rofl:

That is until I redo the rear suspension ..:stirthepot:

9. May 27, 2019 at 8:58 PM
    Speedytech7

Member:
    First Name:
    Zane
    PHX, AZ
    Vehicle:
    I done a mod or two
    Low to high only 1000ft total change, it was the Indio grade. I went from Yucaipa to the AZ border on that stretch. I was going East and the wind was coming as a crosswind from the south. My speedo was dead on and I confirmed with my speed graph from my gps too. It was all cruise control locked at 75 and I occasionally slowed down instead of sped up to deal with encounters with other people. It was a pretty dead stretch of I-10. That was a 164mi trip, I was trying to avoid giving CA any money for fuel... Or anything else so I had to stop as soon as I reached the AZ border haha. But now that I know I can do that on the old cruiser EFI it gives me hope for mid 20s with modern EFI on it.

turbodb [OP] likes this.
  10. May 27, 2019 at 9:05 PM
    Speedytech7

Member:
    First Name:
    Zane
    PHX, AZ
    Vehicle:
    I done a mod or two
    It's no fun to drive miserly anyway, you end up being hard on the truck too and grunting at low rpm with low knock threshold (important factor for the ping happy 5vz) from high cylinder pressure. At least in the mountains, on the highway who cares.

11. May 27, 2019 at 9:09 PM
    turbodb

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    AdventureTaco
    We both idle quite a bit, I'd say that it's on par except for mornings where you turn on to get your fridge going. An hour of idle is only .2 gallons anyway. And whether it's a gallon or two depending on the truck, doesn't matter to me, hahahha. We're all made out of the same competitive mold. :argue:

And yeah, aggressive with the skinny pedal is exactly what affects MPGs, that's the whole point :p. I never said that I drive the same as everyone - only that when I want to, I can. My MPGs at that point get just as crappy as everyone else - there's nothing about my truck that makes it better MPGs than anyone else's.

12. May 27, 2019 at 9:17 PM
    m3bassman

Member:
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma
    In Dan's defense, i did struggle to keep up with his cruise control in Nevada earlier this year :laugh:

turbodb [OP] likes this.
  13. May 27, 2019 at 9:18 PM
    Speedytech7

Member:
    First Name:
    Zane
    PHX, AZ
    Vehicle:
    I done a mod or two
    Time for an engine swap if that's the case

14. May 27, 2019 at 9:20 PM
    m3bassman

Member:
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma
    Nothing wrong with going slow. We had brutal rain and headwinds. He just seemed to pull away before I would realize I was falling behind :laugh:

turbodb [OP] likes this.
  15. May 27, 2019 at 9:56 PM
    Suspender

Suspender Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Orange County, CA
    Sweet, thanks! I've been tracking my own MPGs on every tank (basically in the same format) since I purchased my new (to me) 1st gen taco and I knew you'd be the guy to ask about the change in fuel economy from stock to current. I agree, the data is fun to have and almost unique for this niche. I wanted a benchmark, despite your rig being a standard vs. my automatic.

turbodb [OP] likes this.
  16. May 28, 2019 at 8:57 AM
    2Toyotas

2Toyotas Vintage Camp Stove Collector

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Western NC
    Vehicle:
    '13 Taco AC SR5 4x4
    @turbodb I write my MPG in a book every fill up. Lost mileage when I put 265 tires on. It seems to be true. Skinny tires increase mileage.

turbodb [OP] likes this.
  17. Jun 3, 2019 at 9:10 AM
    turbodb

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    AdventureTaco
    Tacoma Bed Rack v2 - Stopping the Bed Cracks
    May 10, 2019.

When I originally built my bed rack back in 2016, I was sure that the rack was going to be something that was only installed when we were out on an adventure. The rest of the time, I'd remove it using the pulley system in the garage so that the Tacoma could be it's natural self.

Oh how naive I was.

Turns out, there's no reason to stop adventuring in the winter, and quite frankly, the rear suspension on the truck is much more comfortable with the couple hundred extra pounds from the tent. Plus, I don't really have any changes I'd like to the design, so I don't ever really remove it - or at least I try not to.

But over the winter I did remove it at one point - I forget why now, one of the freebies that comes with middle age - and you can imagine my surprise when I noticed that the bed had cracked under the rack.

Ahh, I remember now - I was removing the bed to fix my rear suspension.

[​IMG]

Well, I wasn't happy about that and tried to puzzle out exactly what was happening - clearly, there were stresses on that part of the bed from the weight of the tent, and after chatting with a bunch of folks, the best we could come up with was that it was a combination of factors:
    1. Like any rack system, when you've got 200 lbs on the rack and you travel over bumpy terrain at high rates of speed, you get some flex. And that flex is transferred down to the bed rails.
    2. The holes I'd drilled to attach the bed rack were essentially the same size as the bolts that secured it. That mean that any time there was any flex, the bolt put stress on the sheet metal because it would push/pull on the edges of the hole, rather than slide around in the hole.
    3. To protect the paint on the bed rails, I'd used some HDPE rubber between the bed rack on both the top and inside of the bed rail. This rubber would compress and expand over each bump, exacerbating #2.
    So, it was just a matter of fatigue of the metal. I ground off a bit of paint and rust around the crack, pulled out the welder, and put it on its "barely warm" setting to tack it up.

Let me tell you - welding body panels sucks! Kudos to the guys who do this for a living. :welder:

Anyway, I got it buttoned up and re-installed the rack without the HDPE on the inside edges, to reduce horizontal movement. But as I was re-installing it, I noticed another crack - this one in the front passenger corner.

Dang. It was time to change things up to keep the truck from falling apart into one billion pieces.

I started by removing the tent and bed liner so I could access the front corner of the bed for a bit more body-panel welding. The joy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Really, it was good though, because getting under the bed liner to rinse off the bed and make sure that it's still in reasonably good condition is a good practice IMO. And luckily for me, everything under there still seems to be doing just fine.

Well, I mean except for this crack.

[​IMG]

With the liner removed, I ground down the corner crack like I had the bed rail and got to work with the welder, again. And again, I hated it - though I seemed to mostly fix it before hitting it with a bit of paint.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But now, I had to figure out how to keep this from happening again. Since the rack design in general has been superb, I decided on three changes to the setup. First, I'd extend the feet of the rack to the front of the bed, and add another piece of steel angle to the front of the rack that would - hopefully - keep the corners of the bed from flexing so much.

I hoped this would stop any corner cracks.

[​IMG]

I should note - modifying the bed rack in this way also required me to modify the bed liner. From the factory, the bed liner sits over the front rail of the bed, which would now have a piece of angle spanning the same place. So that part of the liner had to be relieved of duty.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Second, I'd forget about the HDPE between the rack and bed rails altogether. A bit of metal-on-metal rubbing is better than cracking in my opinion. Plus, I'd never seen anyone else use HDPE, and despite my urge to yell "you're all wrong," I figured I should try without first. :wink:

Third, I fabbed up some beefy brackets to sit behind the bed rail - sandwiching the rail between the rack and the brackets - to distribute the stresses away from the holes as much as possible.

[​IMG]

I hoped those three things would mean that the bed will be a bit happier now.

Time will tell - I suppose I could be back next year, looking for a new bed.

But let's hope not. :fingerscrossed:

BossFoss, RobZ9132, 2Toyotas and 10 others like this.
  18. Jun 3, 2019 at 2:04 PM
    1Fine40

1Fine40 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Great Northwest
    Vehicle:
    04' Ex.Cab TRD
    Grey wire, deck plate, 2-Lo, Toytec front, All-Pro rear, 4.88's (Hi rpms!)
    I guess if we have similar bed racks, we might be wise to follow suit on the cross bracing?? :confused:

19. Jun 3, 2019 at 2:17 PM
    turbodb

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    AdventureTaco
    Honestly, I'd say that most probably don't need it. None of the "big vendors" have cross-braces, with many of them having only simple bars that cross the bed (not even the full-length feet) - and most folks are just fine with that.

I was out for ~80 dirt days per year the last couple years, getting harder and harder on it from a driving style perspective.

Plus, who knows if the new version will fare any better - might end up in exactly the same situation.

Edit: I would however skip the HDPE rubber between the rack and the bed rails that I talk about above - I think that might have actually been my biggest mistake. And make sure the holes for the bolts are slightly larger than the bolts themselves, so that the bolts aren't putting undue stress on the rails.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    m3bassman likes this.
  20. Jun 3, 2019 at 3:04 PM
    Blackdawg

Blackdawg Dr. Frankenstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    ALL OF THEM!...Then some more.
    Disagree.

The weight is similar and the construction on the bed is the same. The only difference will be when. Not if it spreads and splits.

I think it helps a lot and I'd do it to any bed rack.

JasonLee likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top