1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

AdventureTaco - turbodb's build and adventures

Discussion in '1st Gen. Builds (1995-2004)' started by turbodb, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Feb 23, 2021 at 1:21 PM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Roaming the PNW
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    2002 XtraCab TRD 4x4 SCv6 AutoTrans With Lots of Mods ADS COs w/Compression Adjusters Camburg Uniball UCAs Whiteline Lower Control Arm Bushings Kartek 7" Limit Straps Plastics Guy Front Bumpstops Custom Alcan Springs +800 lbs +3" ADS 10" Stroke Triple Bypass w/Resi Rear Shocks Custom Rear Shock Relocate All-Pro U-bolt Flip w/Timbren Bumpstops 4.88 Nitro Gears ARB Front Locker ARB Twin Compressor Black 17x8 Konig Countersteer Type X 285/70r17 Falken A/T3w Gunmetal 16x8 SCS Ray10s 255/85r16 Maxxis Bighorns Limited Edition (Relentless) Elite Front Bumper Smittybilt X2O 10K Winch Diode Dynamics SS3 Sport Selective Yellow Fog Lights in the Bumper Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro 4,000 Kelvin SAE Driving Lights with Clear Lenses on the Bumper Morimoto D2S Projectors XB35 Ballasts + 4300K Bulbs Badland Sliders FrankenFab Tire Carrier Swingout bumper w/kitchen BudBuilt Front & Bellypan Skids BAMF Rear Diff Skid Dometic CFX 55im Fridge/Freezer Alpha II Hardshell RTT Badland Custom Bed Rack Denso 210-0461 105 amp alternator Dual Northstar 24F AGM batteries BlueSea 7622 ML-ACR Battery controller Peak DBI Dual Battery Voltage Monitor Magnuson MP62 Supercharger w/URD 2.2" Pulley Haltech Elite 2000 Standalone ECU Denso 650cc Fuel Injectors Doug Thorley Headers Aeromotive Stealth 340 Fuel Pump TransGo A340F Reprogramming Shift Kit 2.5" Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT Magnaflow 18" Muffler w/Vibrant Resonator 13WL Brake Calipers Braided Steel Brake Lines ScanGauge II OBDII Scanner Kenwood TM-71A Dual Band Ham Radio Larson 70CM/2M Antenna Uniden 520xl CB radio 3' Firestik Adjustable tip antenna Pioneer DEH-P9400BH HU Alpine Amps & Type R components (F) and coaxials (R) Wet Okole Seat Covers Weathertech Digital Liners Deck Plate Mod 1" Diff Drop Carrier Bearing Drop
    from now on everything i write will be without punctuation :rofl: more obscure that way

ian408 likes this.
  2. Feb 23, 2021 at 1:22 PM
    Speedytech7

Speedytech7 Toyota Cult Ombudsman

Member:
    First Name:
    ゼイン
    5520 E Sprague Ave, Spokane Valley, WA 99212
    Vehicle:
    93 80 Series LC & 96 Turbo V6 Taco 4WD
    I've done a mod or two
    whyevenusespaces

BYJOSHCOOK likes this.
  3. Feb 23, 2021 at 1:24 PM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Roaming the PNW
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    2002 XtraCab TRD 4x4 SCv6 AutoTrans With Lots of Mods ADS COs w/Compression Adjusters Camburg Uniball UCAs Whiteline Lower Control Arm Bushings Kartek 7" Limit Straps Plastics Guy Front Bumpstops Custom Alcan Springs +800 lbs +3" ADS 10" Stroke Triple Bypass w/Resi Rear Shocks Custom Rear Shock Relocate All-Pro U-bolt Flip w/Timbren Bumpstops 4.88 Nitro Gears ARB Front Locker ARB Twin Compressor Black 17x8 Konig Countersteer Type X 285/70r17 Falken A/T3w Gunmetal 16x8 SCS Ray10s 255/85r16 Maxxis Bighorns Limited Edition (Relentless) Elite Front Bumper Smittybilt X2O 10K Winch Diode Dynamics SS3 Sport Selective Yellow Fog Lights in the Bumper Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro 4,000 Kelvin SAE Driving Lights with Clear Lenses on the Bumper Morimoto D2S Projectors XB35 Ballasts + 4300K Bulbs Badland Sliders FrankenFab Tire Carrier Swingout bumper w/kitchen BudBuilt Front & Bellypan Skids BAMF Rear Diff Skid Dometic CFX 55im Fridge/Freezer Alpha II Hardshell RTT Badland Custom Bed Rack Denso 210-0461 105 amp alternator Dual Northstar 24F AGM batteries BlueSea 7622 ML-ACR Battery controller Peak DBI Dual Battery Voltage Monitor Magnuson MP62 Supercharger w/URD 2.2" Pulley Haltech Elite 2000 Standalone ECU Denso 650cc Fuel Injectors Doug Thorley Headers Aeromotive Stealth 340 Fuel Pump TransGo A340F Reprogramming Shift Kit 2.5" Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT Magnaflow 18" Muffler w/Vibrant Resonator 13WL Brake Calipers Braided Steel Brake Lines ScanGauge II OBDII Scanner Kenwood TM-71A Dual Band Ham Radio Larson 70CM/2M Antenna Uniden 520xl CB radio 3' Firestik Adjustable tip antenna Pioneer DEH-P9400BH HU Alpine Amps & Type R components (F) and coaxials (R) Wet Okole Seat Covers Weathertech Digital Liners Deck Plate Mod 1" Diff Drop Carrier Bearing Drop
    thoughtaboutit

4. Feb 23, 2021 at 1:25 PM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Roaming the PNW
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    andnotagsorquoteseither

5. Feb 23, 2021 at 10:49 PM
    sawbladeduller

sawbladeduller semi-realist

Member:
    North Cal
    Vehicle:
    '15 DCSB '98 2.7L
    fully zip tied
    ....in your camera gear bag (trunk) you normally would have one or two spare bodies...several lenses...so a malfunction or destruction...would not leave you wanting...; )

6. Feb 24, 2021 at 9:42 AM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Roaming the PNW
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    It was probably just a glitch in the matrix. Either that or all that snow we had or possibly just the cold wind. :notsure:

Ah yes, I forgot about that. Well el camino blanco should be a fun (short), adventure.

Certainly for the harder core photographer, this might be true. But not sure it is in this case. There has been a huge effort to reduce what is carried on these trips. Besides, it is a great excuse to go back with the new camera.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
  7. Mar 1, 2021 at 10:47 AM
    turbodb

turbodb [OP] AdventureTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma Xcab 4x4 SR5 V6 TRD
    AdventureTaco
    :pout:

Digiratus[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Mar 1, 2021 at 10:48 AM
    turbodb

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    AdventureTaco
    It's True What They Say About Alabama Hills - Owens Valley #1

I'd been home less than a week after Tragedies in the Tablelands, and I still had the itch to get out and see everything I'd planned before things went all wonky. Even as we'd been driving home from that trip, I was ordering a new camera and lenses, and I was already checking the weather forecast to see how long it would be until snow rendered the area impassable for the remainder of winter.

The good news was that the camera equipment showed up in a few days. The bad news was that there were only a few more before snow would blanket the area. I needed to get back down there before that! And so, just after 3:00am on a Thursday morning, I pulled out of the garage, a now-familiar drive ahead of me.

It was early - well before midnight - when I arrived at Alabama Hills near Lone Pine and the southern end of Owens Valley. I'd decided that - this time - I'd work my way from south-to-north, hopefully following good weather and leaving myself a bit shorter drive on the way home. So, I got my tent setup and climbed into bed - excited to see my surroundings when I woke in the morning, since I'd heard how amazing Alabama Hills can be.

[​IMG]

Tired from having driven all day, I slept well through the night, and snapped only one photo before snuggling back down under the covers for another hour of shut-eye as morning broke.

[​IMG]

I knew I had a lot to explore - and not all that many daylight hours in the middle of winter - so that last hour of sleep was more like avoidance-of-cold than anything else. :rofl: And really, I shouldn't have been all that worried - when I did climb out of the tent, it was actually quite pleasant and the views... well, even with some clouds over the Sierras, they were everything they'd been cracked up to be.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The views weren't the only thing I'd heard about Alabama Hills, however. I'd also heard that they were crowded. Like, crowded. I figured that showing up on a Thursday of a non-holiday week would mean that I'd miss the crowds, but boy was I wrong. Even though I'd come in after 10:00pm the night before, several others had driven by my camp site during the night, and I woke up to another Subaru parked less than 100 feet away! Hmm.

Still not having seen much of the area, I chalked it up to having chosen a place along a reasonably accessible road in the middle of the dark and set about eating breakfast and tearing down camp. By 8:00am I was on the trail, and headed less than a half mile to my first stop of the day - Boot Arch - sunlight highlighting the crumbling granite terrain as I made my way on foot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Boot Arch easily stood up to its name - the boot clearly of the rock-toed variety. And in what would become my favorite part of Alabama Hills, the arch was framed by the lightly dusted Sierra Mountains in the background.

[​IMG]

Happy for the early win, I climbed back in the truck and made my way west along the Alabama Hills Trail, hoping to eventually pop out along Whitney Portal Road - its switchbacks rising up the mountains in the distance.

[​IMG]

Alas, I knew this was going to be a bit of a longshot - even as I'd mapped the road during my route planning, there was a section that I was forced to hand draw - though that portion was much further along than where I discovered the road closed sign as I wound into the heart of the granite outcroppings.

[​IMG]

Still, I'd had a great time making my way up this fun little road, so after snapping a few photos - I was still trying to learn the new camera setup - I got the Tacoma turned around and headed back out towards Movie Flat Road. Along the way, I was surprised by how many people I passed - several of them seemingly there for various product photo shoots - a woman posing behind a spread of hot sauces the morning sun; a skinny, flannel-clad, heavily bearded dude looking out across the landscape as he climbed into a wedge-shaped tent. :rofl:

After encountering half a dozen folks on the few-mile stretch back to Movie Flat Road, I was unsurprised to find that the main drag was nearly a highway. Sure, it was dirt, but there was no need to air down - no need in the slightest. Of course, not knowing this, I'd aired down the night before while setting up the tent - and while I hoped it hadn't been a complete waste of time, I took solace in the fact that I got to experience a very plush ride! :wink:

Making my way south now - the Eye of the Alabama Arch caught my eye and I paused for a few shots in different directions, and to capture the Tacoma overlooking the landscape.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From the arch, I continued down into the heart of the region, more and more vehicles dotting the landscape - seemingly every nook and cranny, crammed with a tricked out SUV pulling an overland or teardrop trailer. It was at this point that I realized that after this trip, I probably wouldn't be back any time soon - the crowds more than I can handle when I want to get away.

Side Note: As crowded as Alabama Hills was, I would be remiss not to mention that the BLM has realized this as well, and is taking steps to address it with their Alabama Hills Management Plan. This is a great thing in my opinion - if people can't be respectful, stay on trails, pack it out, and not overrun a place, it's only right to try to protect it. I've read through the plan and it seems more than reasonable, with camping limited by permits and several of the "random roads across the landscape," closed.

But, that didn't mean I wasn't ready to enjoy myself while I was here - and my next order of business was hiking the Arch Loop Trail, which winds its way through a series of short canyons and past a few interesting arches.

[​IMG]
    Always nice to get out of the truck and walk through the surroundings.

[​IMG]
    Even in the canyons, views out their openings were enticing.

[​IMG]
    Mobius Arch.

[​IMG]
    Another view of the Mobius.

I quite enjoyed the Arch Loop hike. Less than a mile long, I had it to myself since it was still reasonably early in the morning, and being able to poke around by myself was very nice, as I can imagine that this area is usually crawling with people, given its central location and prominent markings along the road.

With my little warm-up hike complete, and the Sierras being the highlight that continually called to me, I decided that my best bet was to duck out of Alabama Hills proper for a few hours, and tackle a nearby hike that I'd found that would lead me up into the hills. It was a bit south of my current position, so that's the direction I headed.

As usual, I was distracted before getting where I was going, as I looked to my west and saw a strikingly shaped rock reaching up into the sky. A sign identified it as Shark's Fin. I got out to take a look.

[​IMG]

Perspective made the fin rise higher and higher out of the ground, the closer I got. It was fabulous.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is apparently - like much of Alabama Hills - a favorite climbing spot for local boulderers, and several anchor lines made their way up the various faces of the fin. It'd have been fun to have a set of ropes and climbing partner to scale this one, I think!

Shark's Fin proved to be my final distraction on the way to the Sierras, the Tacoma eating up the slightly-bumpier Tuttle Creek Road easily, though at this point I was glad to be aired down.

[​IMG]

As I gained elevation, I started running into patches of snow. I counted my blessings that I'd made it down for a second trip before a good snowfall rendered the area - both for driving and hiking - impassable.

[​IMG]

Then - all of a sudden - boulders across the road, and a sign stating that only foot traffic was allowed beyond this point. I was a good mile - and 700 vertical feet - below where I'd planned for the end of the road to be, adding a nice little chunk of work to what was already going to be quite the trek!

So, I parked in a pull out and gathered up a water bottle (which I forgot to put any water in), my camera, and a sweatshirt. Looking back now, I also should have taken some water, some Yak Trax, and an extra camera battery - but hey, hindsight is 20/20. I set out up the trail, the majority of it covered in icy snow from the get-go!

[​IMG]

At this point, I should probably mention where I was going... I was going to the Tuttle Creek Ashram, a structure I'd found a couple miles up into the Sierras, along Tuttle Creek. This wouldn't have been an easy hike dry, and the slippery ice made it rather treacherous. Eventually I finally saw the Ashram in the distance, and I hoped it was all worth it!

[​IMG]
    Can you see it? It's well camouflaged!

Situated at an altitude of 7,600' between the north and south forks of Tuttle Creek, the 2000 sqft ashram is built in the shape of a balanced cross. Constructed of natural stone and concrete, it has a a cement floor, heavy-beam roof, large fireplace, and raised alter.

[​IMG]

Originally envisioned by Franklin Merrell-Wolff and his wife Sherifa when they first visited the area west of Lone Pine, California in 1929, it took ten years for construction of the ashram to begin. When it finally did, Wolff handled all of the dynamite used to blast a flat area, and as rock began piling up, he got the idea to use it in the construction of the building. Over the course of another decade, he and his Assembly of Man built the ashram along the four cardinal points of the compass, their days full of hard labor; their nights filled with music and study around the fire. Eventually, stonework walls, a large stone fireplace, two intersecting heavy-beamed gable roofs, and the window and door casings were all completed. But in 1951, before the windows and doors were installed, work ceased on when Sherifa was no longer able to make the trip up to the building site.

After Congress passed the Wilderness Act in 1964, Tuttle Creek Canyon became part of the John Muir Wilderness, and the Forest Service terminated Wolff's special use permit. In 1980, it was considered for historical significance and over the next twenty years, there was consideration of adding it to the National Register of Historic Places. These plans were never culminated, leaving the ashram somewhat in limbo to this day. (merrell-wolff.org/ashrama)

[​IMG]
    Never completed, the inside is remarkably bare.

[​IMG]
    Originally, there was no inscription on the altar, but sometime in the 1960s, a visitor chiseled words into the top face.

[​IMG]
    Definitely prime location.

After spending twenty minutes or so poking around the old site, my grumbling stomach and empty water bottle urged me to head back down the hill. There, I'd fire up the grill for some hot dogs - an unusual, warm lunch - my idea on this trip to do any cooking during the day so that I wouldn't have to freeze while I made dinner at night.

[​IMG]

I'm not sure cooking for lunch was really the best idea - it took way longer than making a sandwich, and it was time I felt would have been better spent looking around - in the daylight. Because, while cooking dinner in the cold may not be terribly fun, at least it takes place in the dark! But, whatever - the hot dogs tasted fabulous, as did a nice long swig of cool water, and before long I was headed back towards Owens Valley, thankful for the beautiful day I was having.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At this point, it was still only 3:00pm - a good couple hours until sunset. Clouds were starting to roll in over the mountains, but I figured that I could drive through the various rock mounds that comprise Alabama Hills before finding a spot to set up camp for the evening. I'd mapped out a route that looked interesting - a couple arches and nice views noted here and there - but only roughly followed it as I wound my way around the area.

[​IMG]
    Interesting erosion.

[​IMG]
    Taco Bell Arch.

[​IMG]
    Wind weathered.

[​IMG]
    Hitching Post Arch.

As I wound my way through, I oscillated between joy and worry. There was so much to see - rocks that called to me to get out and scramble amongst their forms, arches begging to be peered through from different angles. At the same time, I couldn't help but notice that more and more people were arriving. Camp spots were quickly filling up. If I kept exploring, would it cost me a private spot in which to stay the night?

In the end, I reminded myself that I was here to enjoy all that there was to see. I'd known beforehand that it could be busy, and I knew that even if it wasn't ideal, I'd definitely be able to find a spot to camp - so I just took my time and explored. There really are some beautiful sights throughout the hills, and I'm sure I only scratched the surface.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The trails through it all were well worn, and easily passable in all spots but one. Here, a tight turn through some narrow rocks, with the trail dug out from tire spin - a bit of skill and 4wd were required. And, I could tell it was much less travelled than the rest of the road, because someone had setup camp just to one side - and they were quite clearly surprised to see anyone come from the direction I approached! :rofl:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Even exploring most of the trails south of Movie Flat Road, it was still a little before 4:30pm when I felt like I'd seen what I'd hoped to see, and retraced my steps to a spot I'd noticed along the way that afforded a nice view and shelter from the northwest winds that were picking up steam as they blew a cold squall over the snowy Sierras.

[​IMG]

I spent the next hour hopping around the boulders that surrounded my camp. I wasn't doing any real climbing per-se, but there were so many nooks and crannies to look in and scamper through - it was a joy. Eventually, as the sunset approached, I returned to camp and deployed the tent - a job more easily done in daylight - before settling in to read and process a few of the days photos (my first batch with the new camera).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sunset itself was lackluster - the sky mostly overcast, reducing the sun's ability to stream long rays of light along all but a few high clouds.

[​IMG]

Not wanting to go to sleep too early - though, is there really such a thing? - I tried to stay awake as long as I could. My mistake was reading - an activity that can put me to sleep under nearly any condition, much less when I'm still tired from a 19-hour drive!

And so, at 7:30pm, I climbed out of the cab one last time to snap one last photo. The skies had cleared somewhat, and I crossed my fingers that they'd stay that way for the next few days.

[​IMG]

Little did I realize that the state of the skies wouldn't much matter where I was going. Because who cares, if you can't see it - amIright? :wink:

9. Mar 1, 2021 at 11:16 AM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Roaming the PNW
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    There is hope. It's getting into the 60's here this week and sunset isn't until 6 pm now. It's time to come out of hibernation. :yay:

10. Mar 1, 2021 at 11:20 AM
    turbodb

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    AdventureTaco
    I was :pout:because I thought that I suggested a trip together, (after I took your "volcanic tablelands looks interesting to check out" as a suggestion to do a trip), and then you shot me down.

...but I agree with you that the weather this week is looking awesome, and I can't wait for it to warm up everywhere and un-snow in a lot of places that are out of reach right now!

11. Mar 1, 2021 at 12:34 PM
    ian408

ian408 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Santa Clara, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    I would love to see the Ashram "finished" in the mountain hut sense. That's one thing California doesn't really have is a good hut system. Yeah, I get it-wilderness act and so on. But the huts offer a very unique experience.

It's not hard to see why so many movies were made in the Alabama Hills.

Blue Canary and turbodb[OP] like this.
  12. Mar 1, 2021 at 12:55 PM
    dabbinuguay

dabbinuguay Well-Known Member

Member:
    PDX, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD OR DCSB
    I have been vaguely planning a trip to the alabama hills, though I'm a little turned off by your reports of crowds. Was this trip in February?

Photos look fantastic! Did you stick with Canon?

turbodb[OP] likes this.
  13. Mar 1, 2021 at 1:26 PM
    turbodb

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    AdventureTaco
    I hear that winter backpackers sometimes use it as shelter, which it seems like it'd be "just OK" for, since there are no doors or windows. I feel like cabins in California are only sort of needed, since the weather is (generally/for much of the year) so nice - sleeping under the stars is totally doable. But maybe I have that opinion b/c I'm not much of a "sleep in random cabins I find" guy.

Trip was at the tail end of January, I'm just behind in posting it. And I did stick with Canon - got an R6, which I'm still getting used to before I say too much about it. As with any change, there are good and bad things, obviously.

14. Mar 1, 2021 at 3:52 PM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Roaming the PNW
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    Sorry about that. It wasn't an intentional shoot down. I do want to get out more this year and not necessarily long trips either. Except for a couple of things left to do, the truck is coming together nicely. I am optimistic for 2021.

It looks like it doesn't get too hot (for the desert) there until June.

15. Mar 1, 2021 at 4:42 PM
    PcBuilder14

PcBuilder14 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Southern New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Off Road 4x4
    Mirrorless, huh? Interested to hear your experience in the future. :popcorn:

turbodb[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  16. Mar 1, 2021 at 5:27 PM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Roaming the PNW
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    [​IMG]

turbodb[OP] likes this.
  17. Mar 1, 2021 at 5:45 PM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Roaming the PNW
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    I can see where being employed full time and having a spouse/partner, makes two week adventures a challenge. Conversely, being single and unemployed makes things a lot simpler.

m3bassman[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. Mar 1, 2021 at 5:51 PM
    turbodb

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    AdventureTaco
    Wow, that's an appropriate meme; taken at Alabama Hills. Tell the truth, did you do that on purpose?

19. Mar 1, 2021 at 6:00 PM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Roaming the PNW
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    I am pretty sure that'll happen. :drunk:

20. Mar 1, 2021 at 6:01 PM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Roaming the PNW
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    haha. I saw it and said this is the one.

Products Discussed in

To Top