1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

AdventureTaco - turbodb's build and adventures

Discussion in '1st Gen. Builds (1995-2004)' started by turbodb, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Jul 23, 2018 at 4:35 PM
    BKinzey

BKinzey Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Beauford
    Hollywierd, CA
    Vehicle:
    2015 White Tacoma Access Cab TRD Off Road 4x4 V6
    RCI aluminum front skid, SnugTop, Sliders, bedside supports, LED interior, CaliRaised fogs & brackets, rear diff breather mod, DIY bed platform
    Funny about the "No Pictures!" As a lark I checked out Google Street View. On the Canadian side you can get within about 100' of the building. Makes the regulation kinda silly but rules are rules :evil: :canada:. On the USA side you can't get close at all. The turn off to the border is about a mile away from the border and Google won't let you go down that road.

Of course the satellite view is there for all to see so maybe Google just didn't bother with the street view.

turbodb[OP] and DoorDing like this.
  2. Jul 23, 2018 at 6:54 PM
    TenBeers

TenBeers Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Pro Cavalry Blue
    CBI bed rack and sliders, Backwoods Adventure Mods front and rear bumpers, etc. And some stickers.
    How do you get the time to do all these cool trips? I'm not living right.

Those crazy contrails might actually be Boeing test flights. They are known to do some pretty neat flight plans (they have drawn a plane over the US for the 787, spelled out MAX for the 737 MAX). The timing was leading up to a big air show in Europe where they sell/announce sales, and the test pilots push the planes pretty hard for the show.

Anyway, thanks for sharing!

turbodb[OP] and DoorDing like this.
  3. Jul 23, 2018 at 7:11 PM
    Wolftaco0503

Wolftaco0503 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Chicago
    Vehicle:
    2013 Super White LONG BED TRD SPORT 4x4
    Maglite mod Bottle Opener in bed Weathertech Mats Front & Back
    or they could be fighters jets.

turbodb[OP] likes this.
  4. Jul 23, 2018 at 8:18 PM
    turbodb

turbodb [OP] AdventureTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma Xcab 4x4 SR5 V6 TRD
    AdventureTaco
    Ahh, right - forgot I put the placeholder in the first post and was like, "How did he guess Sierra's?!" lol

hahahahaha, I think it's more like "Boredom makes for idle hands..." Plus, like national monuments, U.S. borders in 2018 are probably a bit different than say, 2015... :censored:

I'm pretty lucky with my ability to do trips, I'll be the first to admit that. My recommendation is just to do as many as you can. A couple years ago, I was doing way fewer than I am now. Still really enjoyed them though, and that's what counts! The more important bit is to make sure you spend more time on dirt roads than modding the truck! :thumbsup:

I think this ^^^

jubei and DoorDing like this.
  5. Jul 23, 2018 at 8:41 PM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Roaming the PNW
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    2002 XtraCab TRD 4x4 SCv6 AutoTrans With Lots of Mods ADS COs w/Compression Adjusters Camburg Uniball UCAs Whiteline Lower Control Arm Bushings Kartek 7" Limit Straps Plastics Guy Front Bumpstops Custom Alcan Springs +800 lbs +3" ADS 10" Stroke Triple Bypass w/Resi Rear Shocks Custom Rear Shock Relocate All-Pro U-bolt Flip w/Timbren Bumpstops 4.88 Nitro Gears ARB Front Locker ARB Twin Compressor Black 17x8 Konig Countersteer Type X 285/70r17 Falken A/T3w Gunmetal 16x8 SCS Ray10s 255/85r16 Maxxis Bighorns Limited Edition (Relentless) Elite Front Bumper Smittybilt X2O 10K Winch Diode Dynamics SS3 Sport Selective Yellow Fog Lights in the Bumper Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro 4,000 Kelvin SAE Driving Lights with Clear Lenses on the Bumper Morimoto D2S Projectors XB35 Ballasts + 4300K Bulbs Badland Sliders FrankenFab Tire Carrier Swingout bumper w/kitchen BudBuilt Front & Bellypan Skids BAMF Rear Diff Skid Dometic CFX 55im Fridge/Freezer Alpha II Hardshell RTT Badland Custom Bed Rack Denso 210-0461 105 amp alternator Dual Northstar 24F AGM batteries BlueSea 7622 ML-ACR Battery controller Peak DBI Dual Battery Voltage Monitor Magnuson MP62 Supercharger w/2.37" Pulley Haltech Elite 2000 Standalone ECU Denso 650cc Fuel Injectors Doug Thorley Headers Aeromotive Stealth 340 Fuel Pump TransGo A340F Reprogramming Shift Kit Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT, Magnaflow 18" Muffler w/Vibrant Resonator 13WL Brake Calipers Braided Steel Brake Lines ScanGauge II OBDII Scanner Kenwood TM-71A Dual Band Ham Radio Larson 70CM/2M Antenna Uniden 520xl CB radio 3' Firestik Adjustable tip antenna Pioneer DEH-P9400BH HU Alpine Amps & Type R components (F) and coaxials (R) Wet Okole Seat Covers Weathertech Digital Liners Deck Plate Mod 1" Diff Drop Carrier Bearing Drop
    Did they confiscate your cameras at the border? And then give the back to you on the return trip. :rolleyes:

6. Jul 23, 2018 at 8:43 PM
    Speedytech7

Speedytech7 Toyota Cult Ombudsman

Member:
    First Name:
    ゼイン
    5520 E Sprague Ave, Spokane Valley, WA 99212
    Vehicle:
    93 80 Series LC & 96 Turbo V6 Taco 4WD
    I've done a mod or two
    Canadians don't confiscate things, they're too polite. They just ask you to please not take any unflattering pictures.

Prayn4surf, jubei, BYJOSHCOOK and 2 others like this.
  7. Jul 23, 2018 at 9:31 PM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Roaming the PNW
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    2002 XtraCab TRD 4x4 SCv6 AutoTrans With Lots of Mods ADS COs w/Compression Adjusters Camburg Uniball UCAs Whiteline Lower Control Arm Bushings Kartek 7" Limit Straps Plastics Guy Front Bumpstops Custom Alcan Springs +800 lbs +3" ADS 10" Stroke Triple Bypass w/Resi Rear Shocks Custom Rear Shock Relocate All-Pro U-bolt Flip w/Timbren Bumpstops 4.88 Nitro Gears ARB Front Locker ARB Twin Compressor Black 17x8 Konig Countersteer Type X 285/70r17 Falken A/T3w Gunmetal 16x8 SCS Ray10s 255/85r16 Maxxis Bighorns Limited Edition (Relentless) Elite Front Bumper Smittybilt X2O 10K Winch Diode Dynamics SS3 Sport Selective Yellow Fog Lights in the Bumper Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro 4,000 Kelvin SAE Driving Lights with Clear Lenses on the Bumper Morimoto D2S Projectors XB35 Ballasts + 4300K Bulbs Badland Sliders FrankenFab Tire Carrier Swingout bumper w/kitchen BudBuilt Front & Bellypan Skids BAMF Rear Diff Skid Dometic CFX 55im Fridge/Freezer Alpha II Hardshell RTT Badland Custom Bed Rack Denso 210-0461 105 amp alternator Dual Northstar 24F AGM batteries BlueSea 7622 ML-ACR Battery controller Peak DBI Dual Battery Voltage Monitor Magnuson MP62 Supercharger w/2.37" Pulley Haltech Elite 2000 Standalone ECU Denso 650cc Fuel Injectors Doug Thorley Headers Aeromotive Stealth 340 Fuel Pump TransGo A340F Reprogramming Shift Kit Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT, Magnaflow 18" Muffler w/Vibrant Resonator 13WL Brake Calipers Braided Steel Brake Lines ScanGauge II OBDII Scanner Kenwood TM-71A Dual Band Ham Radio Larson 70CM/2M Antenna Uniden 520xl CB radio 3' Firestik Adjustable tip antenna Pioneer DEH-P9400BH HU Alpine Amps & Type R components (F) and coaxials (R) Wet Okole Seat Covers Weathertech Digital Liners Deck Plate Mod 1" Diff Drop Carrier Bearing Drop
    Definitely not true. They'll take your weapons if you tell them you have them. Personally, I would never lie about something like that.

They will also take your beer if you have more that 12 bottles. You do however, have to tell them about it tho. :D

8. Jul 23, 2018 at 9:35 PM
    Speedytech7

Speedytech7 Toyota Cult Ombudsman

Member:
    First Name:
    ゼイン
    5520 E Sprague Ave, Spokane Valley, WA 99212
    Vehicle:
    93 80 Series LC & 96 Turbo V6 Taco 4WD
    I've done a mod or two
    I don't have any weapons, but I do know they're major wimps about knives. My buddy works for a knife manufacturer and they say it's a nightmare to sell to canucks. I doubt they have a beer sniffing dog haha

9. Jul 24, 2018 at 6:53 AM
    Gyrkin

Gyrkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma TRD v6 5-speed
    :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

10. Jul 24, 2018 at 8:07 AM
    Gyrkin

Gyrkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma TRD v6 5-speed
    No weapons and only 12 beers, they sure know how to suck the fun out of things.

Speedytech7 likes this.
  11. Jul 24, 2018 at 8:09 AM
    BYJOSHCOOK

BYJOSHCOOK Mr. Mojo Risin

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Woodstock and Alpharetta Ga
    Vehicle:
    2000 SR5 4WD Lunar Mist
    Check Out My Builds
    Curious if you don't mind me asking. What do you do for work that allows you to take so many weeks off for these trips a year?

12. Jul 24, 2018 at 8:14 AM
    BYJOSHCOOK

BYJOSHCOOK Mr. Mojo Risin

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Woodstock and Alpharetta Ga
    Vehicle:
    2000 SR5 4WD Lunar Mist
    Check Out My Builds
    Oh so those doors just happen to be on the trails all the time. Damn that makes so much sense

oni06 likes this.
  13. Jul 24, 2018 at 8:19 AM
    oni06

oni06 Well-Known Member

Member:
    That would make the whole rig a business expense :D

m3bassman and BYJOSHCOOK[QUOTED] like this.
  14. Jul 24, 2018 at 12:06 PM
    Wolftaco0503

Wolftaco0503 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Chicago
    Vehicle:
    2013 Super White LONG BED TRD SPORT 4x4
    Maglite mod Bottle Opener in bed Weathertech Mats Front & Back
    You can take more beer and liquor into Canada you just have to pay for it. For importing liquor into Canada. Trust me. I've done it.

15. Jul 24, 2018 at 7:09 PM
    turbodb

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    AdventureTaco
    Wait. I was supposed to be selling the pens? I thought the pens were for signing the NDA's and Clearance documents.

[​IMG]

16. Jul 24, 2018 at 7:15 PM
    turbodb

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    AdventureTaco
    Two-and-a-Half Days in Idaho: Part 1
    July 1-2, 2018.

The previous 17 hours had been a whirlwind, but we were on our way. Headed east this time, towards Idaho - to a ridge above Garden Valley, where we were set to meet up with Ben @m3bassman, Kristen, and their pups as well as @pizzaviolence and his family (at this point unknown to us).

But we're getting a bit ahead of ourselves. What about those 17 hours?

You see, 17 hours earlier we'd pulled into the driveway after completing the WABDR - a week of adventure that would not normally be quickly forgotten. But things were not normal - we'd planned to meet our friends in Idaho the next day, so before the engine was even cold, we were prepping for the next trip.

Already evening, we unloaded the bed and @mrs.turbodb was starting on cleanup - laundry, dishes, airing out @mini.turbodb's tent, etc.; while I stayed out at the truck to change the oil and rotate the tires. There is nothing like changing "holy shit that's too hot" oil!

[​IMG]

Then, showers. Our first in a week. Even @mini.turbodb wanted to take one - a victory for us if there ever was one!

Cleaned up, we caught a few hours of sleep. Sunday morning we ate a quick breakfast and started reprovisioning the truck for the adventure to Idaho. We prepared dinners, and filled the fridge and dry goods box. And then we loaded up - it was noon, just 17 hours after we'd returned, and we were off!

[​IMG]

As we headed east, mentally checking our lists, we wondered if we'd run into @Digiratus on the road. Mike was returning from McCall Idaho the same day, having attended @BabyTaco's wedding the day before. And then, as we neared Yakima, he popped up on the APRS - just a single beacon, but we could see him, still over 200km away, heading west on hwy 12. Unfortunately a few beacons was all the communication we'd have - Mike wasn't able to pick us up when we called him, and we were headed south at Yakima, our paths diverging.

We continued on through the day with only quick stops for food, fuel, and a quick photo of a beautiful Idaho sunset.

[​IMG]

And then, 90km (as the crow flies) from our destination, the ham radio lit up - it was Ben, and he'd picked us up on APRS. We said some quick hellos and he made sure we knew our route, and we continued on into the dark - eventually off the highway and onto surface streets, and then to dirt. As we climbed the ridge, I pressed the skinny pedal, anxious to get to camp - a bumpy ride since we hadn't aired down either!

And then in the distance, lights - flashlights as it were - beaconing us into camp. It was 11:45pm and we'd made it. Everyone had stayed up to greet us, which was great - but we were all tired and were off to bed as soon as we'd deployed the tent.

The next morning we woke early, but not for sunrise. I've come to realize that while I love the length of summer days, it makes sunrise photography much harder than it is in winter, spring, and fall! Out of the tent, we explored camp (we could see Scott Mountain Lookout), ate a quick breakfast, and got to know Mikey, his wife, and daughter a bit more. And of course, Ben and Kristen joked with us about our craziness - driving to their neck of the woods so soon after completing our last trip.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Before long we were all packed up again and ready to go - a couple days of adventure ahead of us, the long drive from Washington fading already.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We made our way back down the mountain and headed east through Lowman for fuel and then onto dirt again where we aired down. We weren't sure what we were going to find road-wise, but a comfortable ride is always nice, and ultimately we were all glad to have softer shoes the rest of the day.

[​IMG]

Ready to go, we started our trek - first towards Feltham Point, then to Pinyon Point Lookout on what would be a beautiful day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As we would for much of the trip, we worked our way through burned woods, past rocky outcroppings and along fresh mountain streams.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We climbed up through the valley's towards Feltham Point - our stopping point for lunch, marvelling at the green grasses, wildflowers, and views.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Eventually we made it to the top where Ben couldn't help but to put his tire up on a an old lookout footing "for me" to get a few poser shots of his truck. Naturally, we pulled right up on the edge for a few great shots of our own, and Mikey didn't end up with a bad view either!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As we wrapped up lunch and headed down the hill, Ben let us know that our next destination - the lookout at Pinyon Point - was one he was a bit worried about. At an elevation of 9,945 feet, there was a possibility we'd hit snow - something we all hoped to avoid. Until then though, we enjoyed the sun, dirt, and expansive views as we made our way across the landscape.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Our ascent was gradual until it wasn't. As we neared Pinyon Point our GPS's told us we were at a mere 6,500' - and across the saddle, through a devastated forest of burned trees, we could see where we were going to make that up - there were sawtooth switchbacks climbing steeply up the mountainside.

Ben and @mrs.pizzaviolence headed up, skillfully navigating the switchbacks with minimal backing (a point that @mrs.pizzaviolence was sure to tease Mikey about as we came down and signficant backing was necessary)!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In the distance, the Sawtooths.

[​IMG]

Before long, we made it to the top. It was cool and windy, but we hadn't run into any snow - so far! The lookout itself was closed, but that didn't stop us from investigating and taking in the 360° views all around.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And from the top, we spotted two places on our way down where snow covered the road. The first looked reasonable - I'd brought a full-sized shovel and Ben and Mikey each had a shovel of their own - Ben reasoned that with an hour or less of digging we could get ourselves through. The second drift was deeper but again, Ben was pretty sure we could cut the corner of the switchback to make it by.

So we started down again, but only briefly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You see, that first drift that we were going to dig through in "under an hour," was 12 feet deep and could support the weight of a Tacoma. Granted, it was Ben's Tacoma - like him, the lightest of the bunch - but there was no way we were digging through. And, even if we had, the second drift was some 30 feet deep, with no ability to cut the switchback. We were done.

But Milo and Venice loved it!

[​IMG]

Bummed that we couldn't continue through, Ben adjusted our plans for the rest of the day as we got the trucks turned around and headed back down the hill - the drive a bit quicker this time, Mikey and @mrs.pizzaviolence now a bit more experienced on this strech of dirt.

Oh, and I probably didn't mention the water crossing on the way up. It was shallow and fun, and on the way down I may have gotten a few drops on @mrs.turbodb. :oops:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From there, we headed out again towards Seafoam Lake. Initially, the going was fast and we got some space between the trucks to avoid the dust.

[​IMG]

But eventually we got to less-well-travelled parts of the road and realized that this was going to be the roughest road Mikey's truck had seen - totally doable, but a new experience for his family, so a bit stressful. We took it slow as we climbed up the loose gravel/rock road, and in the end everyone made it just fine!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Even though it too was in a completely burned forest, Seafoam lake was georgeous - I can only imagine the spectacularity of this place surrounded by a healthy forest. We found a spot right next to the lake just big enough for our three trucks and got setup as the dogs (and later we) explored the surroundings.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Already evening, it wasn't long before we decided to get a fire going and start making dinner. Burgers for @mrs.turbodb and I, hot dogs for the @pizzaviolence gang, and steak and veggies for Ben and Kristen; with the last two groups cooking on the coals.

Of course, that meant that we needed coals, so Ben and I set out to find a nice dry, low-bark tree to use for the fire. There were plenty around, so it was a simple matter of finding one the right size and then using the chainsaw to safely fall it.

Which is where things got interesting.

As I found the tree we were going to use, Ben asked "Where are you going to put it down?" I evaluated the situation as he added, "No pressure, hahahahaha!" As it turned out, the right place to lay the tree was pretty obvious, so we made sure it was clear, that we each had our exit routes, and then I notched and back-cut the base of the tree (an ~8-incher). So far, so good!

Then, I pushed the top of the tree the direction I wanted it to go and as it started falling we were both well out of the way. It fell exactly where I'd told Ben it would. But something was weird - it hadn't fallen how either of us had expected it to, and we were both perplexed for about 5 seconds - our brains evaluating what had happened at exactly the same time... The entire tree had fallen over - literally from the base, it's entire root system rotted away. There, 16 inches up from the bottom, my notch and back-cut still perfectly straight.

We started laughing. And then we wondered - "we're in a forest of these trees - are the ones around our camp just as rotten?" (We checked a few, and they seemed solid enough.)

Dinner waiting, we wasted no time cutting the tree into rounds and getting it split up for the fire. Crazily, when cutting one of the rounds, I apparently went right through a 9mm bullet, slicing the copper jacket and lead right in half!

[​IMG]

Firewood ready everyone got cooking. And eating. And then s'mores. We enjoyed the fire into the evening, but we were all pretty tired - it'd been a long 24 hours for @mrs.turbodb and I, and some stressful roads for Mikey and his gang (and likely Ben and Kristen too, since they were the ones who'd brought us all out here).

[​IMG]

So it wasn't long before we decided to hit our respective sacks - another great day in the wilderness behind us.

And little did we know what magic was in store for the next morning...

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
  17. Jul 24, 2018 at 7:32 PM
    Phessor

Phessor Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    1998 TRD XTra Cab
    Stuff
    That looks like it is an awesome trip, I cannot believe you still have snow up there.

turbodb[OP] and m3bassman like this.
  18. Jul 24, 2018 at 8:55 PM
    xdustin

xdustin Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dustin
    Vehicle:
    2000 4Runner
    Great report, looking forward to the next two!!

turbodb[OP] likes this.
  19. Jul 25, 2018 at 10:12 PM
    Blackdawg

Blackdawg Dr. Frankenstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    ALL OF THEM!...Then some more.
    We still have tons of it in MT/Wy. Some passes will be closed all year I bet.

90yota likes this.
  20. Jul 25, 2018 at 10:20 PM
    turbodb

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    AdventureTaco
    Yeah, it was higher in ID than it currently is in WA - was glad for that since we got to some pretty high elevations in the trip!

Thanks! They're mostly done, just polish. Next one tomorrow for sure.

Why is there no DISlike? How are the passes from the De-Tour last year - some of those were pretty high...

Products Discussed in

To Top