1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

AdventureTaco - turbodb's build and adventures

Discussion in '1st Gen. Builds (1995-2004)' started by turbodb, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Jul 25, 2018 at 10:26 PM
    Blackdawg

Blackdawg Dr. Frankenstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    ALL OF THEM!...Then some more.
    Most are open. Two are likely not though. Find out if the important one is open this week

Digiratus likes this.
  2. Jul 26, 2018 at 4:51 AM
    Extra Hard Taco

Extra Hard Taco Survivor of the winter of misery and death.

Member:
    First Name:
    R.J.
    Clown World
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD OR
    ARB Bumper, SOS sliders, rear bumper, and skid plate. OME Lift. Some other stuff.
    As always awesome pics and report.

turbodb[OP] likes this.
  3. Jul 26, 2018 at 12:28 PM
    turbodb

turbodb [OP] AdventureTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma Xcab 4x4 SR5 V6 TRD
    AdventureTaco
    Two-and-a-Half Days in Idaho: Part 2
    July 3-4, 2018.

A bit windy when we'd arrived, by morning the wind had died down and Seafoam lake was a glassy surface. We'd slept soundly - warm in our respective beds (in fact, everyone but me was still asleep when I looked out the window and noticed that the cloud pattern could be an interesting one for sunrise.

Hoping for the best, I donned my clothes and grabbed the camera - no time to spare now, the light was starting to work it's early morning magic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But really, I had absolutely no idea what was in store over the next 5 minutes. It was perhaps the most beautiful display of fire-in-the-sky that I've ever seen. Literally the entire sky turned amazing shades of orange, magenta, and purple; all reflected in the glassy surface of the lake. Truly a special moment.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But boy, it was early! Just a minute or two after 5:00am. As quickly as the sky lit up, it was over - and there was only one smart move at that point - crawl back into bed and get another hour of sleep! :rofl:

That was just fine with @mrs.turbodb and we snuggled for a bit, enjoying the early morning sounds around us until the sun just started peeking over the ridges and I got my normal urge to go explore in the morning light as the earth warmed up around me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The sun rising over the far side of the lake, I hoped the view of our camp site would be splendid, so I set off to find a way across the creek separating us from the rocky scree field that plunged down to the water's edge. I eventually found a way across about a quarter-mile up-stream and beckoned Venice (one of @m3basman's pups) to follow - through the water, I assumed, not over the log I'd used to cross.

Alas, she couldn't find a place she was happy with to cross, so I made my way back down towards the lake to skip some rocks and take in the sights - of the lake, our camp, and the moon just rising to the south.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I spent a good half hour on the far side of the lake, warmed by the sun as the rest of camp arose - first Ben, then @mrs.turbodb and Kristen almost simultaneously. It wasn't long before Mikey @pizzaviolence and his gang of girls were up as well - an indication to me that I should head back to eat breakfast and start breaking camp, so we wouldn't hold up the train.

As we packed up camp, Mikey let us know that they were going to part ways with us once we got back to the highway - our destination for the day was the opposite of where they needed to end up, and it'd already been a very full first trip for the whole family (where they and their Tacoma had performed well!).

A bit bummed but totally understanding, we headed out - back down the way we'd come.

[​IMG]

The descent initially had Mikey a bit worried, but he'd gained a lot of experience the day before, and with the use of Descent Control and 4L, we made it down without incident - Mikey remarking how much less stressful yesterday would have been if he'd known that today would be so easy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The way down a bit slow-going, that alloted @mrs.turbodb and I plenty of time to get out and capture spring in full-effect at these higher elevations. It really was spectacular, many species of wildflowers blooming across the terrain - bathed in sun given the burned forest and lack of trees.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Of course, peaking out and around the camera also found it's way towards our descent.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Eventually we found ourselves at the Seafoam creek crossing - shallow and easy but still a great place to capture a few poser shots. Naturally, we all took our turns.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not long after, we pulled to the side of the road - it was time to air up and part ways - Mikey's family heading home and the first gen's heading east to more adventure - our goal the summit of Railroad Ridge, one of the highest roads in all of Idaho.

[​IMG]

But first, we had some highway miles to get under our belts. Having gotten a bit of a late start to the morning, we opted to snack in the trucks as we drove up the Salmon River Canyon, rather than taking the time to stop for lunch.

[​IMG]

We did make a couple stops however before we hit dirt again. Most of the morning, I'd been hearing a faint "clunking" sound at various points - nothing consistent, but a clunk here and there as we'd crest a hill, change gears, or go over a bump. To me, it sounded as though it was coming from the front driver corner of the car, and I'd carefully checked all four corners when we'd aired up to make sure I wasn't missing any bolts and that the suspension looked OK (which it did). So you can imagine my surpise when I saw my rear swingout click into the open position as we were rounding a gentle curve on on the highway.

So that was our first stop. I don't know if I'd not fully locked the swingouts or if a bump on the way down the hill had popped the latch, but I was glad to have found the source of the clunking, and that it was something non-mechanical!

Our second stop was much more normal. As we drove east, Ben came over the radio at one point to say "Just let us know when you want to stop for photos." - at which point @mrs.turbodb and I looked at each other quizzically - there wasn't really much to stop for as far as we were concerned.

Until there was. As the canyon opened up, the view of the Sawtooth's was spectacular. It wasn't the last time we'd see them, or the best view we'd ultimately have, but it might be the most memorable, being the first time.

[​IMG]

And not long after that we hit dirt on our way into the White Cloud Mountains and Railroad Ridge where we aired down again and started our dusty climb up, up, up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ben had a special treat for us on the way up - a stop a Livingston Mine, and old "ghost mine" that we planned to explore. As we arrived, the reaction in both trucks was the same - "what the hell?"

Someone had defaced the mine, painting TRUMP in capital letters on the walls and roofs of several buildings, as well as over a 100-yard swath of the neighboring field.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Upset but still curious, we ventured through the gate - also a bit strange in that it implied there were tours available.

[​IMG]

It was only shortly after this point that Ben got pretty weirded out - not for any specific reason, but he just had a feeling - and suggested over the CB that we turn back. The suggestion was short-lived however, when he came back over the radio to inform us that

So we did.

And it was definitely weird. A yellow sedan surveyed the Trump field, and crazy yellow paint patterns adorned almost every element of the mine. Ben and Kristen in the lead, I lagged behind, popping in and out of the truck to snap photos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Over the radio, we kept hearing about how weird the place was - and as we rounded the corner, the creep factor definitely went up. A hillside meadow, with randomly placed rock cairns peaking out above the three-foot tall grass.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But we never found out what they were, because it was at that point that the CB lit up, "All the doors here have strange markings, and 'KEEP OUT' carved in them." said Ben. "Someone just came out of that cabin and is walking towards us! Go-go-GO" replied Kristen.

As they came barrelling back down the road, we all decided it was a reasonable time to continue our trek up the ridge rather than sticking around in the mine - that would warrant a bit more research to better understand exactly what was going on there!

As we drove up and away, our new vantage point gave us a nice view of the site and the plethora of buildings - all seemingly in good shape, and a place I'd have loved to explore more - espcially the mill just up from the housing - hopefully on a future trip.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And then it was more up and up and up. Through seven-, eight-, and nine-thousand feet. Out of the trees and up high-mountain meadows litteraly covered in yellow, white, and blue wildflowers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To say it was amazing when we reached the top - at just over 10,500 feet - would be an understatement. At that altitude the temperature had dropped but the sweet smells and views were intoxicating. Even @mrs.turbodb couldn't resist taking a few photos of her own!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"I can guarentee that these are the two highest Tacoma's in all of Idaho at this moment." said Ben as the four of us took in the 360° views around us and the dogs buried their faces in the snow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Too soon (as it always seems) it was time to go - we had a few more roads on the top of railroad ridge to explore, and then a relatively long trek back to our planned camp site. So we set out through the meadow, unable to stay in the trucks long before needing "just one more" photo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As we made our way down a mining road to the north, more spectacular views of granite ridges and their lakes below beckoned us to stop and enjoy - which we did, admiring the old mining road we saw allowing access to the lake; wondering how we could get ourselves onto that road!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then it was back up to the top for a bit more exploring on a designated "Jeep road" - still impassable with a deep snow drift - before heading down from Railroad Ridge and the Livingston mine; an experience none of us are soon to forget!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Aired back up and early evening upon us, we were glad for the extra light afforded by summer as we headed back towards the Sawtooth's for camp. Ben had a spot picked out that he promised felt as though you could "reach out and touch" the mountains, and that sounded great to all of us.

And it was true - the view was spectacular. Unfortunately, others thought so as well, and the sites he had in mind were already occupied - likely for several days given the holiday weekend!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still, we were able to find a great little camp spot (with a tee-pee!) away from the hustle and bustle of Idaho campgrounds (of which there are many - seemingly a campground for every resident!) where we setup our tents, made a fire, and ate tacos as the light waned.

We talked into the night about the day's events, knowing it was our last campfire - the next day we'd be headed home.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With similar "schedules" our routine the next morning was quick and easy - all of us up relatively early, breakfast a few-minute affair, and break-down of camp well-practiced over many trips. Soon, with the morning light spilling through the trees, and whispy white clouds in the sky, we were ready to go.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As we headed for the highway, Ben slowed to a stop and suggested I pull up next to him so we could get a few shots of the trucks with the Sawtooth's looming behind. That got no argument from me and for a few minutes we owned the road.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We had just one more stop before high-tailing it to Boise where Ben and Kristen had family flying into town, and where we planned to refuel before setting off west towards California and the Bay Area.

The stop was one last overlook of the Sawtooth's - a view I think I could stare at forever and never be bored.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And then we were off - the mountains fading in the rearview mirror. Another trip in the books, another place where we'd just scratched the surface - as always it seemed, a place we'd need to to return for more!

[​IMG]

Missed some? Catch up on Two-and-a-Half Days in Idaho [Part 1] [Part 2] [Epilogue]

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
    SIZZLE, Axion, Aussiedogs1 and 23 others like this.
  4. Jul 26, 2018 at 12:38 PM
    Squeaky Penguin

Squeaky Penguin Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Steamboat Springs, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '01 4WD, SR5, TRD & '13 TRDOR AC
    Lots of dust and custom dents, Check Build
    That sunrise! Awesome pictures as always.

Every time I camp somewhere where there might be an awesome sunrise, I tell myself I'm going to get out of bed to get a few pictures. Then I wake up, look out the window briefly to see what I may or may not be missing, and go back to sleep. :oops: Maybe one day I'll get an awesome sunrise picture.

5. Jul 26, 2018 at 12:51 PM
    rogue.tacoma

rogue.tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off-Road 4x4 DCSB
    Man I wish I was a better photographer, came back from a trip through Utah/Colorado, but my pics are crap and I've been wanting to write a trip report like yours.

jubei, DoorDing and turbodb[OP] like this.
  6. Jul 26, 2018 at 1:01 PM
    turbodb

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    AdventureTaco
    Thanks, all three of you. The sunrise really was fantastic, so lucky to have been there for that. And, as always - glad you're enjoying; there's more coming - it was a wonderful three weeks outdoors, with Idaho in the middle.

It was quick, and I can't wait to get back. Thanks again for putting it together; was so worth going out of our way for.

m3bassman[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Jul 26, 2018 at 2:15 PM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Roaming the PNW
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    2002 XtraCab TRD 4x4 SCv6 AutoTrans With Lots of Mods ADS COs w/Compression Adjusters Camburg Uniball UCAs Whiteline Lower Control Arm Bushings Kartek 7" Limit Straps Plastics Guy Front Bumpstops Custom Alcan Springs +800 lbs +3" ADS 10" Stroke Triple Bypass w/Resi Rear Shocks Custom Rear Shock Relocate All-Pro U-bolt Flip w/Timbren Bumpstops 4.88 Nitro Gears ARB Front Locker ARB Twin Compressor Black 17x8 Konig Countersteer Type X 285/70r17 Falken A/T3w Gunmetal 16x8 SCS Ray10s 255/85r16 Maxxis Bighorns Limited Edition (Relentless) Elite Front Bumper Smittybilt X2O 10K Winch Diode Dynamics SS3 Sport Selective Yellow Fog Lights in the Bumper Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro 4,000 Kelvin SAE Driving Lights with Clear Lenses on the Bumper Morimoto D2S Projectors XB35 Ballasts + 4300K Bulbs Badland Sliders FrankenFab Tire Carrier Swingout bumper w/kitchen BudBuilt Front & Bellypan Skids BAMF Rear Diff Skid Dometic CFX 55im Fridge/Freezer Alpha II Hardshell RTT Badland Custom Bed Rack Denso 210-0461 105 amp alternator Dual Northstar 24F AGM batteries BlueSea 7622 ML-ACR Battery controller Peak DBI Dual Battery Voltage Monitor Magnuson MP62 Supercharger w/2.37" Pulley Haltech Elite 2000 Standalone ECU Denso 650cc Fuel Injectors Doug Thorley Headers Aeromotive Stealth 340 Fuel Pump TransGo A340F Reprogramming Shift Kit Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT, Magnaflow 18" Muffler w/Vibrant Resonator 13WL Brake Calipers Braided Steel Brake Lines ScanGauge II OBDII Scanner Kenwood TM-71A Dual Band Ham Radio Larson 70CM/2M Antenna Uniden 520xl CB radio 3' Firestik Adjustable tip antenna Pioneer DEH-P9400BH HU Alpine Amps & Type R components (F) and coaxials (R) Wet Okole Seat Covers Weathertech Digital Liners Deck Plate Mod 1" Diff Drop Carrier Bearing Drop
    Access to the photographs on Flickr is locked. :(

Speedytech7 likes this.
  8. Jul 26, 2018 at 2:40 PM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Roaming the PNW
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    2002 XtraCab TRD 4x4 SCv6 AutoTrans With Lots of Mods ADS COs w/Compression Adjusters Camburg Uniball UCAs Whiteline Lower Control Arm Bushings Kartek 7" Limit Straps Plastics Guy Front Bumpstops Custom Alcan Springs +800 lbs +3" ADS 10" Stroke Triple Bypass w/Resi Rear Shocks Custom Rear Shock Relocate All-Pro U-bolt Flip w/Timbren Bumpstops 4.88 Nitro Gears ARB Front Locker ARB Twin Compressor Black 17x8 Konig Countersteer Type X 285/70r17 Falken A/T3w Gunmetal 16x8 SCS Ray10s 255/85r16 Maxxis Bighorns Limited Edition (Relentless) Elite Front Bumper Smittybilt X2O 10K Winch Diode Dynamics SS3 Sport Selective Yellow Fog Lights in the Bumper Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro 4,000 Kelvin SAE Driving Lights with Clear Lenses on the Bumper Morimoto D2S Projectors XB35 Ballasts + 4300K Bulbs Badland Sliders FrankenFab Tire Carrier Swingout bumper w/kitchen BudBuilt Front & Bellypan Skids BAMF Rear Diff Skid Dometic CFX 55im Fridge/Freezer Alpha II Hardshell RTT Badland Custom Bed Rack Denso 210-0461 105 amp alternator Dual Northstar 24F AGM batteries BlueSea 7622 ML-ACR Battery controller Peak DBI Dual Battery Voltage Monitor Magnuson MP62 Supercharger w/2.37" Pulley Haltech Elite 2000 Standalone ECU Denso 650cc Fuel Injectors Doug Thorley Headers Aeromotive Stealth 340 Fuel Pump TransGo A340F Reprogramming Shift Kit Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT, Magnaflow 18" Muffler w/Vibrant Resonator 13WL Brake Calipers Braided Steel Brake Lines ScanGauge II OBDII Scanner Kenwood TM-71A Dual Band Ham Radio Larson 70CM/2M Antenna Uniden 520xl CB radio 3' Firestik Adjustable tip antenna Pioneer DEH-P9400BH HU Alpine Amps & Type R components (F) and coaxials (R) Wet Okole Seat Covers Weathertech Digital Liners Deck Plate Mod 1" Diff Drop Carrier Bearing Drop
    Sure. I'll try to remember that. :cool:

turbodb[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  9. Jul 26, 2018 at 3:08 PM
    KojiKP

KojiKP Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW Washington
    Vehicle:
    '01 Tacoma XtraCab TRD 4WD, '00 4Runner
    Awesome trip report and photos as always. And that sunrise looked epic! Probably much better in person too.

turbodb[OP] likes this.
  10. Jul 26, 2018 at 3:38 PM
    Dor

Dor Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    '18 MB ACLB TRD-OR
    Thanks for the writeups! Absolutely gorgeous photography.

I'm planning two weeks in Idaho in early/mid September on my lonesome with the truck and a camera. I'm starting to nail down the route, and this sure gives some inspiration. Gonna have to track down some of those campsites. :D

turbodb[OP] likes this.
  11. Jul 26, 2018 at 6:04 PM
    BKinzey

BKinzey Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Beauford
    Hollywierd, CA
    Vehicle:
    2015 White Tacoma Access Cab TRD Off Road 4x4 V6
    RCI aluminum front skid, SnugTop, Sliders, bedside supports, LED interior, CaliRaised fogs & brackets, rear diff breather mod, DIY bed platform
    Took a look on Google Maps. Somebody is a big fan at Livingston Mills. o_O
    TRUMP! Livingston Mill, ID.jpg

12. Jul 26, 2018 at 9:11 PM
    turbodb

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    AdventureTaco
    Thanks, appreciate the kudos! The sunrise was totally crazy, I was so lucky to catch it.

Have fun. And, finding your own spots is often a big part of the fun, so don't hesitate to do that! I've always found that when I go to someone else's spot with expectations of whatever they captured, I'm always trying to re-create something rather than create something new of my own! :thumbsup:

Yeah, obviously couldn't capture the field in the photos, but as I mentioned in the write-up and the photos of the buildings - totally not cool. It's definitely a bit of a strange place at the moment.

13. Jul 26, 2018 at 9:12 PM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Roaming the PNW
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    DoorDing likes this.
  14. Jul 26, 2018 at 10:19 PM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Roaming the PNW
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    If I were to guess...

I suspect the scope of the cleanup goes way beyond the 'owned' site. The article certainly implied there was substantial downstream pollution to deal with. As for who owns what, it could be a lease ownership type of deal. To use western wa as an example, it is said that weyerhaeuser 'owns' a lot of the forest lands around here and they certainly act like it by controlling access but in fact they lease that land from the USFS. I would not be surprised if the Livingston site is like that.

15. Jul 26, 2018 at 10:22 PM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Roaming the PNW
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    And FWIW, what weyerhaeuser has done to the forests west of the cascades is way, way worse than a few silly trump signs.

16. Jul 27, 2018 at 7:05 AM
    Gyrkin

Gyrkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma TRD v6 5-speed
    Don't any of you guys use GIS sites? Easy to find who owns land. Here is a screen shot from Idaho's GIS site of that spot. The area highlighted is owned by LONG CREEK MINING COMPANY & THOMPSON CREEK MINING CO and everything else is U.S. FOREST SERVICE

Screen Shot 2018-07-27 at 7.57.21 AM.jpg

By-the-way here is a link to Idaho's GIS site https://tax.idaho.gov/gis/parcelmaps.cfm

turbodb[OP], DoorDing and SnowroxKT like this.
  17. Jul 27, 2018 at 7:22 AM
    Gyrkin

Gyrkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma TRD v6 5-speed
    GIS sites are government sites used for tax purposes and other things. So yes they are accurate. Most states have them. They are very useful. I use them all the time to figure out who to contact to get permission to hunt on land that looks promising.

m3bassman[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. Jul 27, 2018 at 7:55 AM
    Squeaky Penguin

Squeaky Penguin Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Steamboat Springs, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '01 4WD, SR5, TRD & '13 TRDOR AC
    Lots of dust and custom dents, Check Build
    Probably public access through private land.

Land owners can not block access to public land if a road goes through their property, but they can put up a bunch of no trespassing signs to scare you off. As long as you're on a marked FS road and passing through you're fine.

SnowroxKT and m3bassman like this.
  19. Jul 27, 2018 at 10:56 AM
    SnowroxKT

SnowroxKT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Anchorage Alaska
    Vehicle:
    '18 T4R & '06 F250
    6" lift 40s
    That's a ton of the wheeling trails (at least up here in Alaska) lots are RS2477 trails, more or less grandfathered easements from mining days. Others are actually 50' easements or something like that.

20. Jul 27, 2018 at 12:51 PM
    Wolftaco0503

Wolftaco0503 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Chicago
    Vehicle:
    2013 Super White LONG BED TRD SPORT 4x4
    Maglite mod Bottle Opener in bed Weathertech Mats Front & Back
    Tremendous write up and pictures

turbodb[OP] likes this.