1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Advice decending on ice

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Steve-VO, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Feb 18, 2009 at 2:00 PM
    Steve-VO

Steve-VO [OP] Member

Member:
    WV
    Vehicle:
    09 TAcoma
    Hi all, I live of a steep dirt and gravel road in WV and the winter can be challenging. What do you recommend for icy and soupy mud conditions to reduce chance of sliding down? For example, use max engine breaking with 4wd lo in low gear? How about climbing up, 4wd hi or 4wd lo? Also, Toyota recommends only rear wheel chains but do cable-type chains have sufficient clearance for Taco front wheels? I have V6 4wd '09 Tacoma with Yoko geolanders. Thanks.

2. Feb 18, 2009 at 3:13 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    It really depends on the situation and how slippery the conditions are.

4WD for sure.... going up hill, it's more about getting momentum and keeping momentum. If you stop or slow down in the middle, it's harder go get that momentum back and even harder to get traction.

Going downhill - it depends on how slippery the conditions are. Engine braking & 4lo are good ONLY when there's enough traction to slow you down.
    If there's not enough traction there to utilize engine braking or 4lo - you're just gonna slide down anyway regardless.

If the roadway is THAT slippery - I would put the passenger side tires on the side of the roadway where there might be more traction. For instance, if the roadway is ice and the side of the road is snow - drive partly on the snow. T

3. Feb 19, 2009 at 4:59 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    If studs are allowed in WV, in those conditions, I would run a dedicated set of winter tires with studs. I've run snow tires & all terrains in winter but my set of Firestone Winterforce tires with studs has by far exceeded any tire I have run in Vermont mountains & ice this winter. (Thanks HT)

I have not experience any pucker moments at all, go up to the mountains skiing & towing a snowmobile trailer through VT,NH, Maine not a problem. They don't act "squirrelly" at dry highway speed & nor make a lot of noise. The truck stops & my abs does not kick in. :woot: They cost $400, a hundred less than my 500 ins ded, inexpensive in comparison to a repair bill.

There are some posts on chains too, never run em tho.

4. Feb 19, 2009 at 5:35 AM
    hillbillynwv

hillbillynwv Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fairmont, WV
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma 6MT TRD Pro
    Falken Wildpeak MT 285's
    Stay away from the cable chains. We used those on my wife's Honda Prelude one bad winter and they ruined her tires. The rollers on the cables dug deep grooves into the sidewalls.

5. Feb 19, 2009 at 6:01 AM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    My advice... when it's that icy out... stay home :thumbsup:

6. Feb 19, 2009 at 6:32 AM
    Demoncleaner

Demoncleaner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    05 Dcab 6spd 4x4 TRD Sport w/Tow
    TRD exhaust Homemade bed mat & bed extender, front Drings, Short clutch throw, Summer: Stock 17's Winter: Blizzaks on 16' black steelies
    I also drop/climb a nasty grade w/ 15% sections (to a stop) everyday. Snow tires are really key, though in WV might be overkill. I've never had to use 4lo on it, when its really bad I'm usually in 4hi and I'll decend in 2nd (6spd). Climbing I'd also stay in 4hi, your more likely to dig yourself a hole in 4lo. Keep in mind your 09' w/ VSC/TRAC/AUTO-LSD has three settings in 2wd and two in 4wd. You'll probably want the TRAC off to ramp your wheel speed up for the climb.

If its total ice (see my camera icon), best just to stay off the road till at least some sand/salt is on it.

7. Feb 19, 2009 at 7:22 AM
    lasllc

lasllc Wait. . what’s wrong here

Member:
    Southwest RedRocks
    Vehicle:
    13 SuperWhite DCSB Sport TRD
    SnugTop Super Sport, BedRug mat, Redline Tuning hood lifts, LED interior lights, 3D carpet protectors.
    Chains go all 4 or only in back in 2WD and 4WD and NEVER front only in 4 WD and there is no point in front only in 2WD. General rule of thumb that I have always heard.

May be it is just an old farmers myth; I dont know, but I have never striped out a front axel or torn out a transfer case as one or two of my friends have done by not following it.

8. Feb 19, 2009 at 10:55 AM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    Move to Arizona :D

Products Discussed in