1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Advice for a newbie

Discussion in 'Garage / Workshop' started by 2000taco man, Aug 18, 2020.

1. Aug 18, 2020 at 12:07 AM
    2000taco man

2000taco man [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2000 2.7l 3rz taco
    Long travel suspension and 31s
    Hi so I just bought a 2000 2.7l 3rz Tacoma pre runner and it’s my first Tacoma. I was looking for any advice as I’m new to the Toyota ownership as I’ve had a ford ranger and a s10 blazer before this. I’m looking for some advice on what maintenance I should do for my new Tacoma as it’s at 140k miles and has net had any complex maintenance just the oil and all other fluid changes.

Please any Advice is welcome as it’s a brand new brand and type of truck for me I’d just like to get everything done for it that I can to improve engine life until it goes out.

2. Aug 20, 2020 at 3:51 AM
    JustAddMud

JustAddMud Professional Grease Monkey

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Summerville SC
    Vehicle:
    12 4x4 TRD OR
    Yes
    Personally, let me extend a warm welcome to you. With that said, since you have a 1st gen Tacoma, I would direct your question over to this forum. It's the 1st gen forum. They'll be in a better place to help get you started and more suitable to answer any questions that you may have. Now, in my best Richard Hammond voice, "Welcome to Tacoma World!" - theme music playing in the background.

-J

3. Aug 20, 2020 at 4:00 AM
    koditten

koditten Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kirk
    Central Michigan
    Vehicle:
    04 trd x-cab 4 x 4 3.4l
    Reserected from the dead.
    That motor won't need anything except oil changes. The timing chain is good for 300k miles if oil changes are done proper.

You might think about changing the differential oil, but most likely it's not needed.

Check the brake drums for gear lube leaking past the axle seals and soaking the brake shoes. Pretty common on 1st gens.

I'm actually sitting here typing this sitting next to the same truck, except it's 4 wheel drive.

About the only thing I can think of is most likely your headlights are fogged over. Try polishing them clear or get some eBay aftermarket equivalents.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  4. Aug 20, 2020 at 4:05 AM
    koditten

koditten Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kirk
    Central Michigan
    Vehicle:
    04 trd x-cab 4 x 4 3.4l
    Reserected from the dead.
    Automatic or manual tranny?

If an auto, a drain and fill is about all you can do.

If you want to go an extra step. Drive it for a week and do another drain and fill. You will have swapped out 90 percent of the fluid. The transmission filter is designed so when you do a drain, the filter is cleaned of most of the particles when you do a drain.(it's really only a screen).

Products Discussed in

To Top