1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Advice for choosing next credit card

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by BeeRadd, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Jun 25, 2012 at 8:11 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    There is a bit of trickiness to credit cards if you are looking to BUILD credit rating. Yes the credit card will show up on your credit report, and it will show that the balance is paid in full each month if you do it this way, BUT there is a slight (and I do mean slight) disadvantage to doing it this way. Your credit score (Commonly referred to as your "Beacons" score, is based on a large number of factors. You will build a higher number faster (i.e. when creating new credit) these days with REVOLVING credit. Revolving credit is when you have a continued balance that you are making regular payments on. Now in order to do this, you obviously will have finance charges that will be incurred, so you want a low rate card for this. You also want a low initial limit (under $2000). Now don't misunderstand me. I am NOT saying that paying a card off every month is bad. It is really the best FINANCIALLY. However if you want to build a high score fast, from SCRATCH, then revolving credit will get you there faster. This information is based on lots of research that I have done over the past few years when looking at rebuilding my credit from a divorce. I spoke to several financial advisors, and they all said the same thing. they also said that if I were a patient man, willing to wait a while for my score to build, just pay it off each month. So the question is, do you want a higher score FAST, or are you willing to wait a few years to get the higher score?

Now let me put on my flame-retardent suit...I have a feeling I will need it. lmao

2. Jun 25, 2012 at 8:15 AM
    krap22

krap22 Well-Known Member

Member:

No flaming needed. You are 100% correct. Creditors like to see that you can borrow money and can make your payments on time. When you pay it off every month, it is just short term debt that you are paying off. They like to see that you can make payments long term on money you borrowed.

3. Jun 25, 2012 at 8:16 AM
    Ghoster

Ghoster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Baltimore
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner DCSB
    I was told the same thing by a financial adviser. If the bank reports a $0 balance month after month, that will be good for your credit score. However, if the bank reports a continually decreasing amount owed that is paid regularly, that will also be good for your credit score. More than one school of thought on this topic. I would suggest you search the interwebs for more advice.

4. Jun 25, 2012 at 8:20 AM
    Bennett707

Bennett707 Station707

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    No more taco life for me
    I have 2x chase freedom cards, made over $400 dollars this year so far in points and cash them out whenever, have yet to pay a penny of interest because I always pay it off in full.

5. Jun 25, 2012 at 8:25 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    Does the payoff amount affect the credit score? For instance, if you have $1000 dollars payed off versus $50, is the $1000 "worth more"?

6. Jun 25, 2012 at 8:31 AM
    BamaToy1997

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    What affects your score is the debt ratio.
    If you have a $2000 credit card limit, and have a balance remaining of only $200, it will look better on your credit than a $2000 credit limit card with a balance remaining of $1500. Your debt ratio is based on limit versus balance.

7. Jun 25, 2012 at 8:50 AM
    detnight

detnight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Texas City ,Texas
    Vehicle:
    Texas Edtion Sport Super White
    Bed cover, Borla exhaust,20in wheels The TEXAS edition
    we pay everything with a CC, we use it like a debit card. Every transaction is written of the check book like we wrote a check. You have to KNOW how much you spent and never spend more than you can pay. Keep all CC receipts so you to check against you statement. Our MasterCard pays us point each month that we use on Amazon, about $100 worth. The more we use the more get back, so I carry very little cash. But have to able to pay it off EVERY month. Don't use it if you don't have the cash to pay it. Start small and work your way up........................

8. Jun 25, 2012 at 9:03 AM
    oldstick

oldstick Medicare Member

Member:
    GA
    +1 on the credit union idea. Our local CU offers a Visa CC with their name on it, no annual fee and an interest rate well under the 10% mark. I think it may be around 7 for those with the highest credit ratings.

9. Jun 25, 2012 at 9:05 AM
    BamaToy1997

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    How sad is it that I can remember the days when I had a credit card that was at 1.7% ?

10. Jun 25, 2012 at 9:20 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I can't even wing it without someone noticing.... :goingcrazy:

Ok, so...I forgot to add 10 years? Can you blame me?? ;)

Back to the cards - The Citibank card has always given us points for purchases. The point system has changed over the years in terms of 'vendors' (for the points). I remember it used to be SONY points for a long time. Now, it's just Citi points.

We use the card for everything - so our points build up nicely. The points are even nicer when you're paying the card off monthly and no excess charges. We usually always buy Best Buy or Itunes gift cards with our points.

11. Jun 25, 2012 at 9:34 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Yeah, that's about it. If you're building credit, you shouldn't pay it off every month. But, DO NOT pay the minimum. Pay MORE than the minimum.

NEVER be late with your payments. DO NOT carry too many cards either. Too many cards looks bad on your credit.

DO A CREDIT REPORT regularly to keep an eye on things. That is probably more to keep an eye on identity theft and keep things 'cleaned up'. Someone could be running around applying for credit cards using your social security number....I think these would show up on your credit report.

In a nutshell......know your limits. PERIOD. However you pay things off...as long as you can pay them off in a timely manner without loosing too much in interest charges. It's your money.....Keep an eye on it wisely.

12. Jun 25, 2012 at 9:49 AM
    BamaToy1997

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    Good point there!!

13. Jun 25, 2012 at 9:55 AM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    I agree with the rewards cards.

I get a lot of Marriott points for my work travel so my wife and I each have a Marriott rewards card. Purchases give marriott points plus they'll give you enough points on your first purchase for a stay or two (depending on the hotel).

We went for the annual fee Marriott Premier cards because they give you a certificate for a free night stay at a 1-5 category Marriott every year (annual fee $65). The free night more than makes up for the annual fee.

You get 1 point for every dollar, 2 points for dinner/gas purchases and 5 points for every dollar when spent at a Marriott. It doesn't sound like much but it adds up quick if you use it for everything and then pay it off.

Products Discussed in

To Top