1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

advice from any LEO's please

Discussion in 'Jobs & Careers' started by tacosupreme54, Oct 26, 2010.

1. Oct 27, 2010 at 10:00 PM
    Tacoma Glock

Tacoma Glock Member

Member:
    North Georgia
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma 4x4
    Cold Air Intake. Header and free flow cat. Black low profile Tool Box. Westin Bull Bar. KC Daylighters. Smoked LED tail lights 15x10 Mickey Thompson Wheels. 32'' Aurora RT02 Tires. 2'' Leveling kit on Front. Bug Guard, Window Visors. Clear parking and signal lights. Tinted Windows. John Deere Floor Mats! In dash police Scanner. Much more on the way
    I worked in the jail for a little while one guy there wasn't there to long maybe around a year and he applied GSP and they started him out in dispatch he only had jail training no mandate.

2. Oct 27, 2010 at 10:06 PM
    tacosupreme54

tacosupreme54 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW GA
    Vehicle:
    Off-Road 4x4 SR-5
    OME 885's, 90000 and n182 shocks, CB drop, 295/75/16 Hankook Dynapro MT RT03's, 16"x8" Pro Comp 7089 wheels, Avid Off Road Light Bar, Magnaflow 12226-14'' Muffler dumped after axle, color matched grille, Team Realtree camo seat and steering wheel covers, Husky floor liners, towing hitch, bed extender, Tacoma bed mat, all black emblems, black sockmonkey decals, bedlined rear bumper.
    What kind of training did you have to do for that and how long did it last?

3. Oct 27, 2010 at 10:34 PM
    mmadej87

mmadej87 Mayday

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    NMB, FL
    Vehicle:
    98 Xcab Prerunner
    sounds like everyone is playing the "jump to conclusions" game from office space...

i could tell what the OP meant by his first post...he isnt trying to skip steps, just wants to know what he could do now to get his needed experience over with now, instead of waiting till after he got his degree to do so....never hurts to get a jump start at life...

4. Oct 27, 2010 at 10:39 PM
    tacosupreme54

Member:
    NW GA
    Vehicle:
    Off-Road 4x4 SR-5
    OME 885's, 90000 and n182 shocks, CB drop, 295/75/16 Hankook Dynapro MT RT03's, 16"x8" Pro Comp 7089 wheels, Avid Off Road Light Bar, Magnaflow 12226-14'' Muffler dumped after axle, color matched grille, Team Realtree camo seat and steering wheel covers, Husky floor liners, towing hitch, bed extender, Tacoma bed mat, all black emblems, black sockmonkey decals, bedlined rear bumper.
    Thank you for paying attention to what I posted. That's exactly what I was getting at and thought my subject was fairly clear.

5. Oct 27, 2010 at 10:59 PM
    k9cop116

k9cop116 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Southeast Texas
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner DC...Black
    Painted Factory Alloys, 265 Terragrapplers, Whelen LED's in the foglight hole
    I've got 20yrs in Law Enforcement...15 as a K-9 Handler...10 as a Field training Officer...7 in swat...3 as an investigator, 3 as patrol sgt...so....

My advice...for what its worth....is to do whatever you have to do to finish school. If you are able to land an entry level position (jailer, dipatch..whatever) before then that wont conflict with school, then by all means take it. The first job is usually the hardest to get. If you do land an entry level position...give it 110% and treat it like its the best job ever.

Then....after graduation...apply for a Law Enforcement position every where you can...big or little....city or county. Perform that job 110%...even if its at a small town PD...be as proactive as you can....do EXCELLENT paperwork....and most importantly build a great reputation....better jobs have a way of finding the good officers...PLUS, if you do a good job for your small town chief or sheriff...and are honest with him about your career goals from the start...he will probably be able to help you achieve your goals.

One more thing....dont write off the small or mid-sized agencies...I've spet 20 years at a mid-sized agency....you couldnt make me move to a larger department..or go state or fed...but thats just me.

one more thing....go easy with all the talk about wanting to go swat and spec ops crap....that throws a big red flag to interviewers....

6. Oct 27, 2010 at 11:11 PM
    mmadej87

mmadej87 Mayday

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    NMB, FL
    Vehicle:
    98 Xcab Prerunner
    just out of curiosity, why does it throw a red flag?:confused:

7. Oct 27, 2010 at 11:26 PM
    k9cop116

k9cop116 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Southeast Texas
    Vehicle:
    Ive been a part of numerous hiring boards during my career....almost every time a young candidate came in for a job interview and immediately started talking about wanting to go swat, or something tactical...it seemed to turn the bosses off....they always compared those guys to people who watch too many cop shows on tv. dont get me wrong, there nothing wrong with wanting to do those types of things (hell, I'm doing it right NOW) it just sends a bad message if you really focus on that specific aspect before you land your first job.

I think its ok to mention it, as part of the big picture....but he needs to make sure its not the focal point of his interviews.

The cool jobs (swat, k-9, aviation, motorcycle etc) make this job fun....but you have to put your grunt-time in too. He needs to land a job, then impress the hell out of his co-workers, supervisors and administration....the cool stuff will come.....trust me on that.

8. Oct 28, 2010 at 4:05 AM
    FoxySandChick

FoxySandChick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristin
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 Base model V6 Impulse Red Pearl
    De-badged, limo tint, black wet okole's, weathertechs, extra d-rings, TSB bilsteins
    It's not a realistic goal for someone to mention in their interview at 21yrs old with no experience, they want to know what you expect in the short term here and now with the department. If the specific question is asked about your goals and expectations within the department long term then it's an appropriate answer.
    Do you have any idea how many guys in their 20's with zero experience or knowledge of law enforcement say when asked that they want to join SWAT? It's pretty rediculous to be honest, those people come across as having no idea what it takes to be in law enforcement and as the K9 Officer said above those who watch too many LE movies and tv. It also seems that those are the types of people who fail the psych test most often. My ex-husband was that type and failed the psych 3 times.

To the OP...check around your area to see if any of the departments have Explorers or something of that type, basically they are like Boy Scouts for the PD. They don't get paid, they meet up like once a week or a couple times a month at a substation and learn about LE. It's a good program to be involved in at your age and with college.
    Out here we have Explorers, then we have Cadets and Public Service Reps. Cadets are between 18-20yrs old, go through a shorter modified police academy full time and are paid with benefits. After the academy they go through modified field training with a PO then they patrol on the streets alone in a different car and uniform. They respond to calls for service on their own, but are limited as to what types of calls and situations they are allowed to handle. They do that for 2yrs minimum or longer if they aren't 21 yet then they go through the regular PO academy and get their commission/certification as a PO.
    Public Service Reps are the same as Cadets, but they are over 21 and just don't want to be full out PO's.
    Out here the Corrections Officers have to be 21yrs and go through an academy the same as a PO, but I know in smaller jurisdictions that is different.
    Ask around for programs like that in your area. Check into POST certification classes in your area, the community college out here holds POST classes and they are considered experience.
    Go on some ride alongs with any department who allows them.
    The best info is going to be from LE in your area as it varies greatly from department to department.

9. Oct 28, 2010 at 4:07 AM
    FoxySandChick

FoxySandChick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristin
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 Base model V6 Impulse Red Pearl
    De-badged, limo tint, black wet okole's, weathertechs, extra d-rings, TSB bilsteins
    Off topic....;)
    Have you ever come to the K9 competition in Las Vegas?

10. Oct 28, 2010 at 4:58 AM
    fhlashsf

fhlashsf Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Curt
    Danville, CA
    Vehicle:
    '10 Off Road Double Cab 4x4
    Weathertechs, Avid bolt-on sliders and light bar, 17" ATX Thug wheels, BF Goodrich AT 285/70/17 tires, Icom 2820 Dstar radio, OME 3" lift, color matched rear bumper and Grillecraft grille, Wet Okole seat covers, ARM bed extender, black badges, Sockmonkey decals, HID headlight and foglights, TRD cat back exhaust, TRD CAI, URD MAF calibrator, Kenwood 6960 HU, Image Dynamic front and back speakers, ARC Audio Sub in Mr. Marv custom sub box and amp rack, Tuffy security box for bed.
    I'm impressed with this...19 years old, obviously has done some research, reaching out to others that may offer some advice and thinking about your future...I have a feeling you're going to be successful no matter what career you end up going into...

11. Oct 28, 2010 at 9:39 AM
    k9cop116

k9cop116 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Southeast Texas
    Vehicle:

Nope....I've been to them all over Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana and Oklahoma, but none in Vegas. Do you know who puts it on??

12. Oct 28, 2010 at 10:03 AM
    jdaniel1463

jdaniel1463 Active Member

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD offroad
    Listen to these guys here. Ive been Police for 9 years. I started out like you wanting to be Police at a young age. I was lucky and had several neighbors that worked for the department I'm at now. If I were you I would try to get on the Explorer program, Here in Maryland you can do that till your 21. Or some department's still have the Cadet program that ensures them a spot in the academy when they turn 21. Some of the best advice Ive seen on here comes from K9cop. He knows what he is talking about, so Im not going to keep repeating his good advice.

Not sure if you have heard of them before K9 Cop but check this site out.
    http://www.tacticalcanine.com/

Also If your looking for a new vendor for your departmental K9's check out Jerry Bradshaw at Tarheel K9. Our department buys all our dogs from him, If you aint happy he will get you another dog, or come help you fix a problem. Sorry I got off Topic

13. Oct 28, 2010 at 5:26 PM
    tacosupreme54

Member:
    NW GA
    Vehicle:
    Off-Road 4x4 SR-5
    Thanks for the reply. Yes, school is the first priority. That's why I don't want to get tied up with a full time job at a department. Or at least a more "serious" one that will require a ton of training, an academy and such. Not that I want to do that, but I don't want to get into that so soon and then possibly say "I'm going to take this semester off" a few times and end up with no degree and stuck at an entry level job. I'm glad you are understanding what I mean. Because after graduating I do plan on applying anywhere and everywhere. At that point, after school, I will have the time to go to an academy and train up to a higher job than an entry level job. I'm in a small county of two cities and a town, all 3 with under 40,000 pop, but we have 3 city PDs, a county PD, county sheriff department, and state patrol post all in this county. So I have plenty of things to work with right here with me. I know I would enjoy any of those because just thinking about this job excites me. I am not writing off smaller agencies, but I do want to move up as soon as I am able. The special ops type stuff is kind of the dream, not exactly a goal yet because I am a long way from there. It's just an idea that I have always kind of wanted to do. I won't mention it to the small town agencies. But when I interview with GA State Patrol, I will mention it because they have a SWAT, GBI (our state level of FBI), and a few other special ops type things in their agency. Thanks for the reply again

14. Oct 28, 2010 at 5:30 PM
    tacosupreme54

Member:
    NW GA
    Vehicle:
    Off-Road 4x4 SR-5
    Yeah, these guys should just join the marines lol. No doubt that they are mentally unstable and dumb. I know that the stuff that happens on cops and those other shows is a small piece of the big picture. 90% of an LEO's job has nothing to do with the stuff on that show, there is so much more to it than that. I have also thought about the k-9 unit. I don't know much about it to be honest and should look into it. But I know i love dogs and policing, lol.

15. Oct 28, 2010 at 5:36 PM
    tacosupreme54

Member:
    NW GA
    Vehicle:
    Off-Road 4x4 SR-5
    Good insight and real life stuff. Yeah, we have explorers. I wish I had known that I wanted to do this sooner and I would have got into that. But now it's kind of too late. With a full time job and full time school, I can't really afford/nor have the time to do that. Like I said, I would have been all over it if I had known I wanted to do this in high school. I remember a few guys in school doing it. But I have just realized that I want to do this earlier in 2010. It sounds like really good experience for the job. But I will be checking around and asking more about the local agencies here soon. My uncle is the chief of police in the town I live in, so I will see what I can figure out.

16. Oct 28, 2010 at 5:37 PM
    tacosupreme54

Member:
    NW GA
    Vehicle:
    Off-Road 4x4 SR-5
    Thank you very much! I appreciate that.

17. Oct 28, 2010 at 5:38 PM
    tacosupreme54

Member:
    NW GA
    Vehicle:
    Off-Road 4x4 SR-5
    Thanks man. I will ask about these two programs sometime soon because my uncle is the chief of police in the town I live in.

18. Oct 28, 2010 at 5:41 PM
    tacosupreme54

Member:
    NW GA
    Vehicle:
    Off-Road 4x4 SR-5
    Thanks to everyone who has posted advice and suggestions. I picked up a few applications today. One was from the sheriff's department and the other was for the county 911 dispatcher. I don't know what kind of chance I stand getting either of these being a student, but it can't hurt to apply. I also have an uncle that is the chief of police for my town and I will be talking to him in the next few days. Keep the advice, suggestions, and what-not rolling in!

19. Oct 28, 2010 at 7:22 PM
    Tacoma Glock

Tacoma Glock Member

Member:
    North Georgia
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma 4x4
    Cold Air Intake. Header and free flow cat. Black low profile Tool Box. Westin Bull Bar. KC Daylighters. Smoked LED tail lights 15x10 Mickey Thompson Wheels. 32'' Aurora RT02 Tires. 2'' Leveling kit on Front. Bug Guard, Window Visors. Clear parking and signal lights. Tinted Windows. John Deere Floor Mats! In dash police Scanner. Much more on the way
    to work in a jail they have to send to to jail school within 6 months working there jail school takes 2 weeks.

20. Oct 28, 2010 at 7:37 PM
    tacosupreme54

Member:
    NW GA
    Vehicle:
    Off-Road 4x4 SR-5
    oh, alright. thanks man.

To Top