1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ADVICE NEEDED! Leer 100XR canopy leaking

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by SquattiePippen, Nov 23, 2020.

1. Nov 25, 2020 at 9:13 AM
    SquattiePippen

SquattiePippen [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brendan
    Beaverton, OR
    Vehicle:
    2018 Super White DCSB TRD OR
    major win! hahaha for now being the key term... until the next one shows up and I have to do it again :rofl:

Blackbeard83 and Sosk[QUOTED] like this.
  2. Nov 25, 2020 at 6:06 PM
    moto.mike

moto.mike Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    take a guess...
    Oakland
    Vehicle:
    2004 Xtra Cab 4x4 TRD SR5
    you should fix it and sell it and then just show up for the new canopy and play dumb..."what other canopy?"

3. Nov 25, 2020 at 6:40 PM
    MyDogsTruck

MyDogsTruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    W. Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Sport
    Really happy to see this! Crossing my fingers it’s second time lucky, but still glad they’re standing by the product and making it right.

Keep us posted on how take 2 looks.

4. Nov 26, 2020 at 1:53 AM
    SquattiePippen

Member:
    First Name:
    Brendan
    Beaverton, OR
    Vehicle:
    I truly hope I got one hell of a lemon, but I’m starting to think I got industry standard and had too high of expectations before buying. I’ll update when new canopy comes in. You can bet I’m doing a full inspection before it gets installed

MyDogsTruck[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Nov 26, 2020 at 3:34 AM
    tonykarter

tonykarter Crappie Savant

Member:
    Snuff Gully, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCSB 4x4 Sport 1993 4Runner SR5 4x4, 411,000 miles
    Pine tree air freshener
    Rather than you having to do the inspection, suggest strongly that LEER DO THE INSPECTION AND NOT SHIP IT UNTIL THEY CAN GUARANTEE IT DOESN'T LEAK. I wonder how many productive hours the Leer dealer has to waste each year to rectify these types of problems. He must be miserable.

6. Nov 26, 2020 at 6:53 AM
    markgphoto

markgphoto Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Middle Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma ArmyGreen TRD Pro
    I have a Leer 100XQ that I got in February for my 2020 Pro. Before installing, I went through with black silicone under the bed rails and filled in the big cracks at the front corners. I also installed TC bed stiffeners to correct the 1/4” out of square from the factory. After installation, I then put on the tailgate gasket and a full Bedrug. Not a single leak.
    Prior Preparations Prevent Piss Poor performance.

7. Nov 26, 2020 at 7:07 AM
    SquattiePippen

Member:
    First Name:
    Brendan
    Beaverton, OR
    Vehicle:
    cool. So what did you do to prevent the brake light leaking, or the window seals leaking, or the carpet wicking water back from the window seal, or shitty fiberglass work?

you clearly didn’t receive an inferior canopy as you did the normal things to seal up your bed. Front corners are the known and easy to prevent spot... the rest of my canopy leaking like a faucet is not and why it’s being warrantied.

8. Nov 26, 2020 at 7:16 AM
    markgphoto

markgphoto Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Middle Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma ArmyGreen TRD Pro
    I guess I was lucky. Glad to hear Leer is doing the right thing. If I were you, I would speak to your dealer about making sure they fully inspect the replacement shell before it’s even pulled off the delivery trailer.

9. Nov 26, 2020 at 7:27 AM
    SquattiePippen

Member:
    First Name:
    Brendan
    Beaverton, OR
    Vehicle:
    couldn't agree more with this. Will definitely chat with leer and dealer about inspections

10. Jan 8, 2021 at 1:49 PM
    verypressured

verypressured Member

Member:
    OR
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Off-Road
    did you get your new one? still have leaks?

11. Jan 8, 2021 at 1:55 PM
    outdoorgb

outdoorgb (.)(.)

Member:
    Burbs of Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB TRD Sport Silver Sky...
    I added a bolt once...
    I have the same canopy on a 2014 with little issue. Same rain two, 15 miles east of you...
    I have only seen a couple of drops of water up front. Just because, three years ago I lifted the canopy and reapplied camper tape all around, double up front.

And, I didn't like the way the canopy bolts do not contact the canopy on an angle. I added hard rubber spacers between the bolt head and carpet. And, my bolts/canopy angle was not as much as your. Not over torqued are they?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
  12. Jan 8, 2021 at 2:41 PM
    WELLSPRING

WELLSPRING Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Off Road DCLB
    Leer 100XR cap, Total Chaos bed stiffners, OEM PRO Intake Flow Accelerator, Bed Mat
    Call Leer and file a complaint. If they have any customer service sense (which I believe they do), they should remedy your problem. I too have a Leer 100XR, but with the windoor" option, and it is dry all around. I also have a 2007 Chevy 3/4 ton 4wd, that has an ARE cap on it, and it now leaks on the sides in places, but I am going to have the shop that I purchased the Leer from lift the cap to replace the cap seal with this:

Super Cap Seal XL™ 23ft EPDM Rubber for Pickup Truck Cap, Camper Shell, Topper
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Cap-...ck-Cap-Camper-Shell-Topper-/321724418707#rwid

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  13. Jan 8, 2021 at 3:37 PM
    RichVT

RichVT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Northern Vermont
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Off Road 4X4 AC Grey
    I did a little more investigating on my (leaking) cap. I thought that the side windows were leaking because I could see water dripping down the sides of the bed. I actually took one of the windows out. Everything looked O.K. on the windows. I've concluded that water is entering at the bottom corners of the rear window and wicking along the carpet and eventually dripping down on the sides of the bed. I cut back the carpet (just like the O.P. had done) and made a silicone dam at the top of the tailgate weatherstrip (that I installed). Hopefully, the water will hit the dam and drip down the side of the tailgate instead of being wicked in along the carpet.

WELLSPRING likes this.
  14. Jan 10, 2021 at 9:01 AM
    RichVT

RichVT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Northern Vermont
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Off Road 4X4 AC Grey
    Here are a couple of pictures in case anyone is interested. I cut the carpet that used to extend below the silicone in the picture that was picking up and wicking water that dripped down along the rear window weatherstrip. I attempted to seal the lower edge of the newly cut carpet and made a dam at the top of the tailgate weatherstrip.

It hasn't been above freezing here since I did it so I don't know how well it will work but I'm optimistic.

DSC04424.jpg DSC04427.jpg

Ainapo likes this.
  15. Jan 10, 2021 at 9:32 AM
    WELLSPRING

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Off Road DCLB
    Leer 100XR cap, Total Chaos bed stiffners, OEM PRO Intake Flow Accelerator, Bed Mat
    I hope this works, but I still would put in a call to Leer and tell them your story.

16. Jan 15, 2021 at 5:14 PM
    GsTACkO

GsTACkO Member

Member:
    First Name:
    G
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tan Tacoma OR
    ADD bumper and winch, ARE Topper
    Are you able to mostly water proof it? As in seal it out decently? Currently chasing a few leaks on my ARe. thinking a soft topper would be nice for easier dismounting if it could keep most of the water out at least while stationary / camping

17. Jan 15, 2021 at 5:35 PM
    WELLSPRING

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Off Road DCLB
    I sealed it myself using black Butyl putty tape in the corners where there was a gap. I also removed the metal L shape piece that covers the front lip of the truck bed by the rear window, and used clear "Lexel" that I purchased at Lowes, and caulked the entire width of the bed with two separate beads to form a double barrier to prevent water from coming underneath that piece once I replaced that piece back onto the bed. Of course, you have to do this without the cap on the truck to be able to remove the piece and have access to the area, so I did that a week before before I went to the Leer dealer that did the install of my cap. I had a minor leak from where that had been a gap after the cap had beeninstalled, but I had extra Butyl putty tape, and pushed more into the corner and even outside under the corner cap edge that was causing the problem. No leak(s) since then, and that's even after having gone through at least three car washes where if there was still a problem, I would have known after the first run.

18. Jan 19, 2021 at 9:10 AM
    Teegs

Teegs Well-Known Member

Member:
    Results vary, but my soft topper keeps the water out 10000x better than my hard shell ever did.

You'll still want to seal the gaps in the bed up by the cab of the truck, and getting the bed cubbies sealed will help too. Also, you'll want to run the flap for the soft topper outside the bed, which most don't do. Occaisionally I'll have water get in at the tailgate because I tuck my flap in (looks better IMO).

But outside of that, the thing is pretty darn waterproof. Also I think it breathes better so if you do get water in, after driving for a while the bed will naturally dry itself out. As opposed to my hard shell which seemed to retain the moisture indefinitely unless I opened up the back on a nice day and let it air out.

GsTACkO[QUOTED] likes this.
  19. Jan 19, 2021 at 9:27 AM
    Hatfieco05

Hatfieco05 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2020 DCLB TRD Off-Road Premium
    If your out in beaverton why not just schedule a time to go in to leer. Skip the middle man, they are just out in oregon city. I used to take my 1st gen leer into them and have it resealed and any issues resolved every couple years, the guys were great to work with.

20. Jan 19, 2021 at 6:16 PM
    GsTACkO

GsTACkO Member

Member:
    First Name:
    G
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tan Tacoma OR
    ADD bumper and winch, ARE Topper
    Thanks for the intel @Teegs !! Looks like I’m gonna sell this dang hard topper I’ve got ASAP !

Products Discussed in

To Top