1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Advice on Drive Shaft

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by LimaKilo, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Jan 5, 2017 at 10:28 AM
    LimaKilo

LimaKilo [OP] New Member

Member:
    New Orleans, La
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma 4x4
    Okay. My u-joints wear out and start cricketing on the regular. Replaced all three on main drive shaft twice and I am in the process of doing it a third time. She's a 2009 Tacoma 4x4, so she's got that two-piece driveshaft (not including the one up front for the 4x4 which doesn't seem have any issues), and I've had her for about four years. Ain't right replacing u-joints so often.

Here's the thing. I've talked to mechanics twice about it (not friends, just auto shop guys). First time, I was told the entire drive shaft needs to be replaced because it's warped. He said it was thing about Tacomas. I was skeptical because he didn't even look at my truck, but then again, he had one sitting in the shop, having its drive shaft replaced.

Second mechanic. Asked if they'd be willing to let us deliver the drive-shaft and have them replace the joints for us (lack of decent tools, time and space). He said, and I quote, "You don't replace u-joints on a Tacoma. You just replace the drive shaft."

Um. What's going on? I can find someone to help me get my U-joints replaced and the drive shaft back into place (heck, I can do that myself), but what's this constant theme of "replace the whole shaft? It's warped." I've nosed around on the forum but haven't found anything about defective stock drive shafts for Tacomas. Am I missing something? Also, we live in the New Orleans area, so if you know of a solid mechanic for Tacomas (or anything really) roundabouts, I'd love to know about them.

I apologize if there is a post somewhere that addresses my question and I completely missed it. Help would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Rambo54 likes this.
  2. Jan 5, 2017 at 12:54 PM
    eccracer104

eccracer104 O.G. Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra 4x4
    The u-joints can be replaced as you're well aware. No need to have the entire driveshaft replaced unless it is bent/damaged.

It is possible that your driveshaft is bent causing the premature failures in the u-joints. Maybe try calling a driveshaft specialty shop, see if they can balance your driveshaft, or check to see if it's bent.

If it's in good shape I'd replace the 3 u-joints and the center support bearing to start fresh. Make sure to get grease able u-joints and so once a year you can pump grease into them.

NAAC3TACO likes this.
  3. Jan 5, 2017 at 2:15 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    Sounds totally bogus to me.

Late last year I had my DS rebuilt by a shop. New CSB, and three new u-joints pressed in. I brought the new in box parts to shop along with my drive shaft.

The particular shop I delt with only does work if you bring the shaft to them.

I marked it carefully before I took it out. Shop rebuilt it. And works great.

On mine the only reason it came out was CSB was sagging bad. All of my u-joints were in great shape but I replaced them anyway.

4. Jan 5, 2017 at 2:21 PM
    4WALKER

4WALKER Save the manual trans!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    1991 4runner 5 speed SR5 4X4
    Dirt
    Speaking of drivelines...
    IMAG1424.jpg
    IMAG1425.jpg
    Don't forget to check play in your carrier bearing...
    This truck was from Sacramento and on its way to Arizona before I stopped the guy in our yard...:boom:

Rambo54 likes this.
  5. Jan 5, 2017 at 2:24 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    As stated above, replace the joints ( greasable joints ) and center bearing. Pump them full of grease every oil change. Last long time.

Rambo54 likes this.
  6. Jan 5, 2017 at 2:26 PM
    w:ll:s

w:ll:s Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma v6 4x4 SR5 - Imperial Jade
    is your truck lifted? sometimes with lifted trucks the pinion angle can be off, causing the drive shaft u-joints to prematurely wear out.

Rambo54 likes this.
  7. Jan 10, 2017 at 12:38 PM
    GsuEagle18

GsuEagle18 Hail Southern

Member:
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2004 White TRD Prerunner
    ARB Bumper, 2016 TRD OD Rims
    i need u joints on my first gen, there may already be a thread, but this was my first good result from a quick search.... Ive bought precision u joints and never really had any problem, however, i have heard that the factory u joints are the best option..... havent priced them yet, mostly because i am at work, and the dealership's parta dept wont answer. Main question is, are the stock u joints on my truck grease able? or have they been replaced before?

Products Discussed in

To Top