1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Advice on Kenwood Excelon DNX9960

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jeomana, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Jun 3, 2010 at 11:59 AM
    jeomana

jeomana [OP] New Member

Member:
    I just got my tacoma 2010 double cab with JBL audio.
    I want to replace the stereo, and was thinking on Kenwood Excelon DNX9960.
    Any advice?

Cheers
    Jose

2. May 13, 2012 at 9:10 PM
    dallas24

dallas24 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dallas
    Chandler
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 DC/LB Sport
    Borla Cat-back exhaust, K&N CAI, Airaid TBS, 17" KMC XD Revolvers, 6" Pro Comp suspension lift, Xenon headlights and foglights, King Coilovers with TC UCAs, shackle flip with Alcans and 14" King Bypass shocks, grillecraft grille, Stubbs Rubicon rock sliders, complete aftermarket stereo system with two 12" subs, smoked taillights, 30" Rigid light bar, Rigid D2 fogs, Rigid Dually reverse lights.
    Did you ever end up replacing your factory JBL head unit? I'm in the last phase of replacing every audio component of my JBL stereo system with aftermarket components and am having trouble finding a wire harness that will work with the JBL system.

3. May 14, 2012 at 12:05 AM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have that head... what do you want to know?

4. May 14, 2012 at 8:39 AM
    dallas24

dallas24 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dallas
    Chandler
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 DC/LB Sport
    Borla Cat-back exhaust, K&N CAI, Airaid TBS, 17" KMC XD Revolvers, 6" Pro Comp suspension lift, Xenon headlights and foglights, King Coilovers with TC UCAs, shackle flip with Alcans and 14" King Bypass shocks, grillecraft grille, Stubbs Rubicon rock sliders, complete aftermarket stereo system with two 12" subs, smoked taillights, 30" Rigid light bar, Rigid D2 fogs, Rigid Dually reverse lights.
    I'm having a difficult time finding a wire harness to use when installing my after market head. I have the JBL system but am replacing the amp/sub/speakers with after market components. My problem is I can't find a wire harness that will work when you replace the entire JBL system. The only harness I've seen is designed to jeep the JBL amp/sub/speakers.

5. May 16, 2012 at 11:30 PM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    What are you expecting a wire harness to do exactly? You run everything you need by spling into the Kenwood harness for power, ground, and antenna... everything else you run directly to the amps... remote turn on, RCAs, bass control knob, etc. The speakers will run straight from amp to speakers.

Im guessing if you dont want to cut you factory wires you can use the JBL harness and cut it up to splice the parts you need.

6. May 17, 2012 at 1:28 AM
    HonoluluTaco

HonoluluTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Koi
    Reston Virginia
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD 4x4 OffRoad DC/SB
    2010 TRD OffRoad DC/SB, 285/70/17 KM2's, Mickey Thompson Classic Locks, Total Chaos UCA's King 2.5 RR Coilover 3" AllPro Leaf Pack, 2.0 Fox RR, Ubolt flip kit, MBRP dual cat back, URD TCAI and MAF Calibrator, TRD Sport Hood w/ scoop, E&G Classics Custom Stainless Grill, Color matched grill and door handles WeatherTech floor mats, FormulaOne Pinacle 15%+Air blue windshield Tint, RedLine hood struts, TRD 3rd Brake light Decal, Relentless Fab Hybrid 2 piece Sliders with Kick out Relentless Fab Aluminum Front bumper, Relentless steel rear bumper, Relentless Steel IFS B.A.M.F LCA Skids, w/ Rear Diff Skid ordered In my Spare room waiting to be installed sits, Wet Okoles, Illuminated 4x4 switch mod, SockMonkey Hawaii TRD OffRoad Decal, Big box of Rammat, Speakers and Custom Sub from Mr.Marv,
    Devl is right, I'm in the same boat now too, replacing JBL head with an Kenwood double din and after market speakers, amp, sub and wires. All your gonna need is ground and power and parking break and a few others. You've got an 08 so no rear view camera right? I would add the extra $80 to put in the camera while your at it. Check out *********.com for a stearing wheel control interface and their aftermarket jbl harnesses, they have pretty good installation videos as well. Mr. Marv has been helping me, if you PM him he has done a ton of installs on tacoma and can also give you sound, sound advice.

Oh yeah, Jeomana that's a great head unit, go with it. Great advance sound options and Garmin Nav with a large high res screen, no brainer...

7. May 18, 2012 at 8:36 AM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    You don't need to tie into parking brake... bypass it and you can program nav and watch movies while moving.

Products Discussed in

To Top