1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Advice on my 96 rebuild?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by jgwelchjr, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Aug 12, 2010 at 8:03 PM
    jgwelchjr

jgwelchjr [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Crossett, Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    1996 Tacoma LX 4WD
    Hello guys,
    I am about to take on a project and I wanted some advice. I have owned my 96 since about it was about 2 years old and it has been rode hard, I will admit that. It is a 2.7 3RZ-FE 4WD Extended cab 5-spd. The motor has about 1/2 psi oil pressure at idle and the top end is rattling bad.

I want to install a JDM 95-96 2.7 engine complete with auto transmission. I'm almost 40 and I'm tired of shifting, so no advice about why I should keep the stick. I got a pretty good idea what's involved inthe swap, but I'm just unsure on a couple of things. The donor motor and tranny will be complete from fan blade to output shaft on tranny complete with harness and ECU. I know I will need a shifter and radiator and auto brake pedal.

1. Does anyone have picture of that era 2.7 with auto. Will the shifter be on the floor? The wrecking yards I have called are trying to sell me a column shifted shifter? The trnany still has the floor shifter for 4WD transfer case in the pics.
    2. What about tranny cooling lines, can I just run braided line to cooler at radiator? Or do I need to find factory lines from a wreck?

Anything else I'm missing. Since the donor motor and tranny are together with ECU will I need anything else. What about the clutch switch for starting? Will the new auto ECU ignore the clutch switch?

Sorry so long, I searched this topic for about 2 hrs and read a lot but didn't find exactly what I was looking for. Thanks guys!!

John Welch
    Crossett, AR

2. Aug 12, 2010 at 9:29 PM
    EnolaGaia

EnolaGaia Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midwest USA
    Vehicle:
    '01 & '04 S-Runners
    01 SR: Double Cab conversion, S/C, lowered.
    For a 6-lug 3RZ 4WD Taco the appropriate 'pseudo-factory' replacement would be an A340F auto transmission. The A340F used a floor shifter.

The column shifter was used with the A43 auto tranny on 5-lug 2WD Tacos of that period.

3. Aug 13, 2010 at 4:24 AM
    jgwelchjr

jgwelchjr [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Crossett, Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    1996 Tacoma LX 4WD

Thanks that's what I was thinking. So that's what I need to look for is the floor shifter. The search begins. Now I know the 95 is the first year of 1st Gen Tacos, but exactly how far can I go to fins a console with shifter that will fit my 96? Thanks

4. Aug 13, 2010 at 4:36 AM
    jgwelchjr

jgwelchjr [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Crossett, Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    1996 Tacoma LX 4WD
  5. Aug 13, 2010 at 2:08 PM
    jgwelchjr

jgwelchjr [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Crossett, Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    1996 Tacoma LX 4WD
    Does anyone know if a 4-Runner shifter would be the same as a Tacoma? I can get my hands on a 4Runner shifter.

John

6. Aug 17, 2010 at 7:35 PM
    jgwelchjr

jgwelchjr [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Crossett, Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    1996 Tacoma LX 4WD
  7. Aug 17, 2010 at 7:42 PM
    RAT PRODUCTS

RAT PRODUCTS RAT Products

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Farmington, MN
    Vehicle:
    01 CUMTOY and 16 Sierra Denali
    View the build. Too much to list.
    Find out the transmission you have and check if the shifter will fit it. 4-runner and taco transmissions should be the same, so it will work as long as the shifter fits the transmission.

8. Aug 20, 2010 at 7:39 AM
    jgwelchjr

jgwelchjr [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Crossett, Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    1996 Tacoma LX 4WD
    Ok guys my JDM engine and tranny are on the way. Still no luck finding a shifter and console. IS the A340F the same on the 2.7 and the 3.4. Meaning will the shifter interchange into mine if I were to find one from a donor truck that had the 3.4 with A340F. I have found several shifters in 4-runners but no console, boots etc.

Another question, what about the ECT/pwr switch on autos? Will I need one or can I just put a toggle switch in?

Thx John

To Top