1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Advice on new tires

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by tisher49, Dec 5, 2009.

1. Dec 5, 2009 at 2:29 PM
    tisher49

tisher49 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Orange, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    '08 4.0L 4x4
    K&N Air Filter, Westin Bull Bar with PIAA fog lights, Retrax cover, Alpine Head unit with I-Pod interface, maglite mount, Color matched grill surround w/ Grillcraft mesh
    I have the original stock Dunlop Grandtreks on my 08 4.0 L V6 6 speed and they are horrible. I like the ride of the tires but the traction is horrible even in light rain. So I have been looking at new tires and I definitely want to go with a tire with a more aggressive tread. I am leaning towards the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revos, the Revo2s or the General Grabber AT 2s. Thoughts or reviews? I was also wondering if anyone can tell me if going from a highway/all season tire to all-terrain tires will change the ride or gas mileage much. Thanks in advance.

2. Dec 5, 2009 at 3:55 PM
    HwyRogue

HwyRogue Resident Canuck

Member:
    Halifax, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Sport 4x4
    Arctic bull bar, hitch step, side bars (All by Avid Off Road!), BHLM, eye lids....
    I was going to get the Revo 2's (great reviews) but they didn't arrive at the dealer - I couldn't wait (same crappy dunlop's as you) so I went with the Wrangler Silent Armor's - also, pretty good...

Mileage will go down a bit (more aggressive tread) but shouldn't be a -huge- drop...

3. Dec 5, 2009 at 5:11 PM
    Yodaforce

Yodaforce Diverse-Customs.com

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Western NC
    Vehicle:
    01 S-Runner (Arrghh! The Black Pearl)
    Simple Drop (3")
    BFG's all the way. I've had alot of diff. AT tires and the BFG AT's were by far the absolute best. Tri guard sidewall (protective and handling), S,C,and dogbone tread lugs, staggered for less noise and great self cleaning tire. Best wear, least noise, best on road ride and off road performance. I'll never buy any other AT tire. My last "other set" was the General. Wore out in about 25k miles, and made noise like a MT. Good price, but not worth the disappointment.

4. Dec 5, 2009 at 6:03 PM
    tisher49

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Orange, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    '08 4.0L 4x4
    K&N Air Filter, Westin Bull Bar with PIAA fog lights, Retrax cover, Alpine Head unit with I-Pod interface, maglite mount, Color matched grill surround w/ Grillcraft mesh

Yeah I originally wanted to get the BFG AT's but they don't come in the right size (245/75 R16) and I can't afford new wheels yet.

5. Dec 5, 2009 at 6:10 PM
    tisher49

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Orange, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    '08 4.0L 4x4
    Thanks for all the quick responses...

so from what i'm hearing so far I think I'm now leaning between the Revo 2s or LTX AT2s. There are 2 different kind of Revo 2s and one set is considerably more expensive ($30 per tire) and the differences I see are a higher max inflation pressure, higher max load, wider tread width and that the more expensive one is made in the U.S. and the other canada. From what I gather I can't really go wrong with either choice.

6. Dec 5, 2009 at 6:12 PM
    tacoman101

tacoman101 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    scott
    vermont
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma sr5 xtra cab 4wd
    blue led headlights, 285/75/16 grabber AT2's, custom pedals, custom shifter, flowmaster 40 series muffler, bedlinered fender flares, 2.5" lift kit via shackles and spacers, custom exhaust out the back, chrome exhaust tip, and Herculined bed, Weathertech floormats, Cabelas Trail Gear Camo Seat Covers ... Nice thing was I got the truck for $4000
    IMHO i'd go with the General Grabber AT2's. I've been running these for about 2000 miles, and I love them. At first they throw alot of rocks around on the dirt roads, but thats no biggie. So far there good at anything I throw at them, and the price is right

7. Dec 5, 2009 at 6:33 PM
    VenomTaco88

VenomTaco88 Just Got Engaged!

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Mtn Home AFB, ID
    Vehicle:
    Love my Venom Taco
    K&N cold air intake, Full Double Wall stainless steel Megaflow exhaust, custom nerf bars
    im looing at getting the BFG Kmz not the KmZ2's i dont like the tread but i have had the Kmz's and the tread life was fantastic and the performance was much enjoyed as well

8. Dec 5, 2009 at 6:38 PM
    tisher49

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Orange, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    '08 4.0L 4x4

just checked those out...they look awesome but don't come in the right size...I might look into those when I need my next set and maybe have the money to get new wheels.

9. Dec 5, 2009 at 6:38 PM
    dlthunder

dlthunder Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    Sold my Taco
    TRD Skid Plate Rear Seat 11inch DVD Toyota Bed Mat Pace Edwards Full Metal Jackrabbit Nerf Bars Tailgate Electric Dynolock D-ring Bedbolts
    I just had a set of the General Grabbers installed today - I love the way it looks. I am running mine with studs and even studded the ride seems really nice and not as much noise as other studs I have used.

10. Dec 6, 2009 at 12:32 PM
    Yodaforce

Yodaforce Diverse-Customs.com

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Western NC
    Vehicle:
    01 S-Runner (Arrghh! The Black Pearl)
    Simple Drop (3")
  11. Dec 6, 2009 at 2:24 PM
    tisher49

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Orange, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    '08 4.0L 4x4

oh wow...i wonder why they won't show up if I search by vehicle...thanks a lot

12. Dec 6, 2009 at 2:47 PM
    tisher49

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Orange, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    '08 4.0L 4x4
    any idea what the "E" at the end means... ive been trying to look it up but can't figure it out.

13. Dec 6, 2009 at 2:55 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    Load rating. Tire will be super stiff and so will the ride. Trade off is stronger tire.

14. Dec 6, 2009 at 2:57 PM
    tacoman101

Member:
    First Name:
    scott
    vermont
    Vehicle:
    blue led headlights, 285/75/16 grabber AT2's, custom pedals, custom shifter, flowmaster 40 series muffler, bedlinered fender flares, 2.5" lift kit via shackles and spacers, custom exhaust out the back, chrome exhaust tip, and Herculined bed, Weathertech floormats, Cabelas Trail Gear Camo Seat Covers ... Nice thing was I got the truck for $4000
  15. Dec 6, 2009 at 2:59 PM
    tisher49

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Orange, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    '08 4.0L 4x4
    ohh ok gotcha... so since im not doing any heavy towing or loadin up the bed too much and I'd like to preserve the ride as much as possible I should probably avoid these.

16. Dec 6, 2009 at 3:00 PM
    tisher49

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Orange, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    '08 4.0L 4x4
    yeah i've been visiting that site at least once a day for the past few weeks but still can't make up my mind...

17. Dec 6, 2009 at 3:06 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    C load is good for our trucks. I have the BGF E rated cause that's all they come in for that size, but hey. I drive a truck not a caddie. I don't mind.

18. Dec 6, 2009 at 3:10 PM
    tisher49

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Orange, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    '08 4.0L 4x4
    i just used my tire size to try to find the BFGs and it still won't show up for that size on tire rack even though the BFG website has them...do you think I have to order them directly from the website?

19. Dec 6, 2009 at 3:12 PM
    tacoman101

Member:
    First Name:
    scott
    vermont
    Vehicle:
    lol yea its a tough decision

20. Dec 6, 2009 at 3:16 PM
    tisher49

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Orange, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    '08 4.0L 4x4
    i've changed my mind a bunch of times now lol...as of now im considering the Dueler Revo2s, ATXs, and the BFG ATs. I am really lucky and my parents are splitting the cost with me otherwise I think I would have gone with the AT2s right off the bat.

Products Discussed in

To Top