1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Advice on painting/dechroming/vinyl wrapping front grille?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by HawkNation, Jun 19, 2018.

1. Jun 20, 2018 at 12:15 PM
    will.i.was

will.i.was Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    SC 2.5
    That is a big variable that most people should consider. The color of the paint and its exposure to environmental elements definitely will make to hard to match the paint. I would probably sat black sand pearl #206 would be a nice touch. I used the same black whilst painting a friends front valence on his Tacoma a few months ago.

[​IMG]

Dennisi01[QUOTED] likes this.
  2. Jun 20, 2018 at 3:35 PM
    Dennisi01

Dennisi01 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Forks, PA
    Vehicle:
    '10 SR5 4x4
    None
    Duplicolor paint pen. It comes with a clearcoat too. My prep and application wasn't great either but the rust was pulled out and it isnt awful so i can deal.

3. Jun 20, 2018 at 3:37 PM
    Dennisi01

Dennisi01 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Forks, PA
    Vehicle:
    '10 SR5 4x4
    None
    What primer do you use, and do you sand everything or just all chrome off? And get the toyota black sand pearl spray? Do you take the emblem off and do it separate? Also, whats flash dry?

4. Jun 20, 2018 at 8:03 PM
    will.i.was

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    SC 2.5
    I used to mix different brands of primer but I try to plan ahead and purchase all of the aerosol based products I need from the same place. It ensures consistency between parts and helps consolidating shipping costs haha. I believe the chrome is just paint. You don't necessarily have to sand the entirety of the chrome off but just the clear coat. I would disassemble any intricate parts before painting but that is just my personal preference. Flash dry - I may have been fancy with the wording but not a full 24/48 hour dry between coats (or sanding between). I tend to let coats dry just enough so adhesion between layers is strong. I rarely take more than an 1hr - 1.5hrs painting and leave the the piece to dry and gas out for at least a few days.

My suggestion is to hand off the piece to someone and rid yourself of the headache. If you are adamant about diy'ing and learning something in the process, youtube and google have a myriad of resources and professionals that show you how to paint correctly.

Dennisi01 likes this.
  5. Jun 21, 2018 at 5:11 AM
    HawkNation

HawkNation [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '11 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    The problem isn't so much my abilities to paint, I've done a fair amount of paintwork in the past. More trying to decide if a vinyl wrap would be feasible on the frame of the grill. Matching isn't of any concern, as I'll use the same matte black as I did on the badges. Trying to get info on durability of 2-stage rattle can vs. vinyl, I don't really want to be masking off the center parts of the grille all the time. Thanks for the input everyone!

6. Jun 21, 2018 at 6:54 AM
    RucksackRev

RucksackRev Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    RucksackRev
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma DCSB Off Road
    Off Road Adventures
    I have been kicking arounf the idea of vinyl wrapping the grill in brushed alloy pattern. Only really would be doing the crome frame, but still....

7. Jun 21, 2018 at 11:27 AM
    HawkNation

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '11 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    exactly what I was planning on doing, but matte black. Leave the center part as it is and wrap the chrome part. Just doesn't look right to me on an OR to have black mirrors, handles, badges and a chrome grille. Thought about doing the rear bumper in matte black as well, but with the TRD beadlock wheels I can live with it, and I don't think the wrap would hold up all that well with me driving gravel during pheasant season.

8. Jun 21, 2018 at 3:35 PM
    will.i.was

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    SC 2.5
    I wasnt questioning your ability at all, I apologize if that is how my post rubbed off. Honestly at the end of the day its personal preference. Many of the trucks on this thread look great, vinyl or paint. As long as it is done with some TLC I think either will be a great option. I just prefer a more "permanent" finish but can see the upside to using vinyl as well.

9. Jun 21, 2018 at 7:35 PM
    HawkNation

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '11 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Gotcha, no problem man. I'm just torn between being able to revert it to OEM or not, I gather that the '11 honeycomb grille is a fairly rare part, and I'm sort of considering doing a satoshi mod, but not sure I'd get to it anytime soon, or ever ha. Too bad it's not metal, I have access to a powdercoating setup and that would be pretty tough.

10. Jun 21, 2018 at 7:43 PM
    HoboDave

HoboDave Homeless Prius Dweller

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Carlsbad, New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2023 Toyota Prius
    Oops...

GOPR0082.jpg

Climberclimb and will.i.was like this.
  11. Jul 3, 2018 at 4:08 PM
    HawkNation

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '11 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    So I've decided to go with SEM Trim Black and sand/paint. I've had good luck with the stuff in the past, I'll post up pictures when I get it done.

Products Discussed in

To Top