1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Advice on rearview/backup systems?

Discussion in 'Towing' started by SWRockhound, Aug 22, 2018.

1. Aug 22, 2018 at 10:29 AM
    SWRockhound

SWRockhound [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sue
    Vehicle:
    2013 Navy TRD
    Leer camper back
    Hi, Everyone - newbie here. I have a 2013 Tacoma TRD 4WD 6-speed manual tranny. I lurked for a bit as a nonmember as we're taking the plunge and getting a camper. We settled on a Starcraft Autumn Breeze 19BH, a little under 3600# dry weight, WD hitch w/ sway bar, and of course brake controller. Also getting a Hayes anti-sway unit as we're in the desert SW and getting hit by wind gusts and dust devils while towing is a guaranteed event. We have a set of clip-on towing mirrors, but are thinking a rearview camera system will be a good addition or even replacement for those. Soooo... the camera system we're looking at is the Tadi Brothers wireless system with a monitor that clips on to the rearview mirror. Anyone have any experience with it? One thing I'm wondering about is whether the clip-on monitor would interfere with the microphone on the Tacoma rearview mirror as I want to stay hands-free when answering calls should one come in while on the road and I don't want to give up using the control on the steering wheel for this.

I love my Taco, by the way. My previous truck was a Ram 1500 4WD 5-speed manual which got stuck in situations that the Taco handles with ease. Really glad Toyota has thus far kept producing the Taco with the manual tranny and hope one will still be available when it's time to give this one up. About 85K trouble-free miles and still going strong, and many of those miles were off pavement on dirt roads and "two-tracks" while rockhounding. I've been up to the skid plates in mud and not gotten stuck, so yeah - I'm stuck on the Taco!

2. Aug 23, 2018 at 7:10 AM
    Herniator

Herniator Well-Known Member

Member:
    Edmonton
    Vehicle:
    2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
    chrome valve stems covers
    I have a Furrion Observation camera and it works great. Not sure about the one you are looking at but similar. It uses a suction cup for the windshield and it does not interfere with any of the electronics in the Truck.

3. Aug 23, 2018 at 3:31 PM
    airsavage

airsavage Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Butch
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra Sport 4x4 MGM, 2000 Prerunner
    Welcome aboard:hattip:.

Products Discussed in

To Top