1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Advice on selling truck.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by tacomalex, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Feb 15, 2012 at 8:29 AM
    tacomalex

tacomalex [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    WV
    Vehicle:
    '11 SR5 2.7l 4x4
    plasti dip engine
    Ok, here's the deal..

I have a 2011 Access Cab 4x4 4 cylinder already paid off.. I have done some mods to it but unless I package and ship everything parting it out is out of the question. Check my build if you're interested in what I've done to it.

I wanna sell. I love the truck, it's fucking badass, only 19,XXX miles, I know it will last me forever, but I've been beating it for a while, and I hate taking it off road just because it's so new.

I have only had one truck before this, an old ranger I basically gave to the dealer, so selling this thing is new to me.

Here's what I was thinking about doing..

Cleaning it up big time, make the inside look new, throw some extra paint on my sliders, cleaning the engine compartment, etc.

But here's my first question. I have some mild body damage on the driver side doors and bedside. They'd need to be repainted after the dents are banged out. Should I have that done myself before I sell it? Or sell it as is?

Also my rear bumper pretty bent up and it's missing the middle plastic piece. Should I get a new rear bumper or sell it as is?

Also, how should I sell it? I doubt there's alot of people around here that can pay in cash for my truck, and I will not make a personal payment plan with anyone. Should I take it to the dealership and see how much they'd give me?

My plan is to sell this thing, get an older tacoma I can beat on and not worry about, and maybe get an old Bronco to work or maybe a motorcycle..

I just feel I'm too young (i.e. not responsible enough) to take care of this truck as I should.. It's just too damn capable off road for me to not take it out. I want a single cab first gen..

What do you guys think? Tell me about your personal experiences of selling cars, repairing damage or selling as is.. Just help me out. I'm new to this.

Thanks in advance!

2. Feb 15, 2012 at 8:44 AM
    SnowroxKT

SnowroxKT AK SnowroxKT

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Anchorage Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Roxy '95 Manual 4x4
    SAS locked geared
    craigslist?

3. Feb 15, 2012 at 8:50 AM
    PkTaco

PkTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Zanesville Ohio
    Straight trade it to me.

4. Feb 15, 2012 at 9:57 AM
    tacomalex

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    WV
    Vehicle:
    '11 SR5 2.7l 4x4
    plasti dip engine
  5. Feb 15, 2012 at 10:21 AM
    SnowroxKT

SnowroxKT AK SnowroxKT

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Anchorage Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Roxy '95 Manual 4x4
    SAS locked geared
  6. Feb 15, 2012 at 3:01 PM
    2004TacomaSR5

2004TacomaSR5 Sentinel Prime

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DCSB & '79 Toyota Pickup 4WD
    I would keep it, just be careful with it! I am 19 and I baby my truck like no other, and take it off road from time to time, just nothing too technical yet!

7. Feb 15, 2012 at 3:14 PM
    blacksheff405

blacksheff405 no one ever pays me in gum

Member:
    First Name:
    caleb
    north carolina, concord
    Vehicle:
    02 dbl v6 12' lift on 38's
    lift kit (12'), super swampers 38's, brush gard, kc's , sub, amps, high end audio equipment
    yea man I can empathize with wanting to go balls to the wall when you go wheelin' but if you don't want to damage it stick to the fun easy stuff that you don't have to worry about tearing something up and your good :thumbsup: plus I don't have to pull your ass out ha :cool:

8. Feb 15, 2012 at 3:29 PM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, Ultragauge, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    Yeah, just chill out a bit when wheeling. I had a Ford Ranger 4x4 when I was a teen, It was lifted, roll bar, lights and all. It was my baby and daily driver so I took care of it, but I still wheeled it. I just didn't get too crazy and when I was done I cleaned the sh#t out of it. I even got ragged on by some of my friends calling it a street truck. I even took time to paint the frame and suspension from time to time to keep it looking good. Point is just be smart with it.

Another thought is also if you can afford it, buy an old beater to take out and punish and keep this for your daily driver.

9. Feb 15, 2012 at 3:33 PM
    jw1983

jw1983 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    13' Tacoma Access 4x4 OR
    I agree with this poster. The chances of getting the money back that you paid and put into it is very slim. Mods don't add value to your vehicle really. I would keep it and find something else to drive for off roading. I would be glad to keep something that is already paid off that isn't owned to anyone else but me. You're going to kick yourself if you get rid of it, trust me.

10. Feb 15, 2012 at 4:02 PM
    TacoSurf4x4

TacoSurf4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seal Beach
    Vehicle:
    4x4 board truck
    3 inch lift
    2011 paid off?? Thats awesome! You're right. It is gonna last you forever. Or should I say it WOULD last you forever! hehe Why would you want to sell it? I understand you have your reasoning but... you'll probably regret it.

I would say keep the 2011, save some cash, and get your single cab first gen to build up. This way you can have your Daily Driver and wrench on the project taco in the meantime. Having a newer, reliable mode of transportation is mega important. To give this up for multiple older projects or a bike seems questionable is all im saying. Ok, thats my .02 on that and I don't want to try to tell you what to do.

As for selling it... sigh... hahaha I've always bought and sold used cars. Don't spend too much money fixing it up unless its gonna drasticly increase the value of your truck.

As far as payments go. You're gonna get ripped selling to a dealer. If you want to get the most money, your best bet is to a private party. Don't sweat payment plans. If someone cant pay you in full and really wants to buy, they'll find a loan.

Post on any and every site/paper you can find... especialy if its free. Auto trader, craigslist, recycler, whatever. Odd/even price point your initial offer (if you're thinking $20k, ask $19,900). That shit works. I was trying to sell my first car when I was 19 asking $2000. Got no calls. Dropped it to $1970 and it was gone in a week!

Hope you find this helpfull and GLWS!!!

11. Feb 15, 2012 at 5:42 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    Oh man. You sure about this?

Nobody wants to buy a 2011 that's already been beat to heck.

Your instinct to stop beating on a new truck is a good one. But you've already taken some of the value out of your truck.

How bad is this damage?

12. Feb 16, 2012 at 9:14 AM
    tacomalex

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    WV
    Vehicle:
    '11 SR5 2.7l 4x4
    plasti dip engine
    The only damage is a few dents from trees. It runs perfect.

Right now my thought is to sell this, buy an older Tacoma, and also get me a fairly new (under 30,xxx miles) car. I know I can do that no problem when I sell my truck. I'm moving to Pittsburgh in June for school, and I do a ton of driving, so a car just makes more sense.. but I'll always have a Taco.

13. Feb 16, 2012 at 9:19 AM
    Taco Erik

Taco Erik Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Phoenix, ARIZONA 602
    Vehicle:
    2004 tacoma totalled, new 2005 Tacoma
    3" toytec coils with Bilstein 5100 shocks, camburg uca's, 1" AAL, Uws toolbox, 12" kicker sub system, flowmaster super 40s, more mods to come new build
    my advice keep it! and MASH!!!!!

14. Feb 16, 2012 at 12:06 PM
    XPOTRPR

XPOTRPR [[[[[[EXPOtrooper]]]]]] IG: xpotrpr

Member:
    First Name:
    Moose
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    SUPERCHARGED MID TRAVEL 2009 DCSB TRD O/R 4X4 AUTO
    CHECK BUILD
    Dude, keep the truck.. and get another beater.. bronco, single cab, etc.. that way you have the dependability and worry free aspects of the the new Taco, and something you can beat on. I bought my old 06 Taco brand new at 19 as well.. beat it pretty badly.. wish I hadnt. But now I have my 09 and am going down a different route. Taking care of this, while still having fun. Don't get me wrong, i well It and use the 4wd and locker like crazy.. but i know the limits so I can still drive it home and to work the next day in one piece. Keep it, learn the limits, and have fun.

To Top