1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Advice on things to do for a build!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by CSTC, Sep 28, 2011.

1. Sep 28, 2011 at 6:17 PM
    CSTC

CSTC [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Corpus Christi
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off-Road
    BF Goodrich All Terrains
    Hey guys, Im thinking about doing a few things. I recently got some 33" BFG A/T's, and i want to do some sweet things to make it look better and perform better. Here are some of my thoughts:

3-4" suspension lift
    Rear locker mod
    Front Replacement bumper

The reason for the lift is that my rear suspension bottoms out all the time, like with nothing in the back, driving about 30 mph, and I hit smallish bumps and it ends up bottoming out. I know that I can take it to the toyota dealership, and they help out with the TSB deal, putting in new shocks and such in the rear. Im not sure how much that is, but im thinking about putting a suspension lift rather than that. What kind of lift should I get? i want a smooth ride, and yet be able to load the back down without it getting to squatty. Thoughts?

Rear locker is something I want to mod because Id like to use it in 4x4 hi, any problems with this that anyone has experienced??

For the front replacement, ive thought about the ARB front replacement with the spot for getting a winch later on. What other brands are just as good and possibly cheaper?

Any help would be awesome!

2. Sep 28, 2011 at 10:38 PM
    Tarheelz2350

Tarheelz2350 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Dallas, NC
    Vehicle:
    10 MGM 4x4 TRD O/R DC
    Bilstein 5100's F/R, Tin Snip mud flap mod, Partial Debadge, Rear Diff Breather Mod, Rear Spring TSB, 265/75/16 Cooper Discoverer AT3's, Devil Horn's courtesy of Andres
    If you want the look go ahead and do the suspension lift. You'll need it to clear the 33's anyway. OME, ToyTec and Fabtech are reputable lift brands. I'm sure others will chime in shortly.

As far as the locker mod, I don't know about it so you'll have to wait for someone else to come along.

Concerning the front bumper. I'd recommend ATO. They're in the vendor section and I've heard nothing but positives about them.

Go ahead and get quality equipment and everything will go well for you. Don't try to save money on inferior product. Buy once, Cry once.

3. Sep 28, 2011 at 10:50 PM
    ToyComa92

ToyComa92 Write your love, Then your anger.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Conifer, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma TRD sport Debadged
    Heated katzskin leather, Black TRD sport wheels, Bilstein 5100s, Toytec 2" Springs, Deaver 2" AAL, Pioneer AVH4400BH, Ultragauge, Weathertechs front/rear,
    Cheap isn't what you want, Spend your money once and be happy with it for as long as you own it.

ARB and ATO both have great GREAT customer service. I personally love OME but haven't experienced the ride on a Tacoma yet, Had it on my old truck though and loved it!

Me personally if i was going to lock the rear, Id save up for an Air locker or a Detroit, True Trac combo.

If your looking to get over 3" id look at RCD suspension.

4. Oct 4, 2011 at 7:42 AM
    CSTC

CSTC [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Corpus Christi
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off-Road
    BF Goodrich All Terrains
    If i were to go with a 3 inch suspension, would I have to do anything to compensate for the extra height? like, with the driveshaft, etc..?

5. Oct 4, 2011 at 7:48 AM
    Hook & Ladder

Hook & Ladder Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    16' TRD Tacoma
    The project @c4_fabrication-Sliders, HC bumper w/ swing out @kb_voodoo_fabrications-Bed rack @tepuitents-RTT @cali_raised_led-Fogs, ditch lights, bed stiffeners @prinsudesign-Roof rack @kingshocks-2.5 with adjuster @totalchaosfabrication-UCA @rcioffroad-diff skid plate Follow at @wicked_overland #nacrew
    and how will the CV joints handle off roading and 4 wheel dribe

Products Discussed in

To Top