1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Advice on towing a 5000lb travel trailer?

Discussion in 'Towing' started by steve ault, Aug 13, 2018.

1. Jul 5, 2019 at 11:06 AM
    Ruggybuggy

Ruggybuggy Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW ONT, CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra SX
    You can't compare one truck and /or trailer to another. The Tacoma runs out on the payload side and because trailer tongue weights and loads are different between trucks you can't compare. Because your truck is rated for 6500lbs doesn't mean it can do it. It will run out of payload before that. You need to do the math.

2. Jul 5, 2019 at 11:51 AM
    jfoster92

jfoster92 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Farmerville, la
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma prerunner v6/manual
    Thank you and I understand what your saying but also understand I was pulling trailers since before I had a license. I know the math and the weights I’m comfortable with I just really wanted to know how the smaller truck felt pulling something like that in a heavy crosswind since it doesn’t have the ass of a 3/4 or 1 ton.

I might never pull it far enough to worry about it since most highways and interstate around me is heavily wooded on each side but if we ever did go cross country I wanted to get some opinions.

3. Jul 5, 2019 at 1:44 PM
    Ruggybuggy

Ruggybuggy Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW ONT, CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra SX

As far as how it feels when towing mine feels rock solid in crosswinds and when large trucks pass. I use a Equalizer WD hitch with sway control that is properly set up. Use a WD and sway and you wont have an issue.

On my 5,000lbs loaded TT with my wife and I, small dog and generator I'm just under my payload by only 40lbs.

TacoManOne likes this.
  4. Jul 5, 2019 at 2:06 PM
    jfoster92

jfoster92 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Farmerville, la
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma prerunner v6/manual
    That’s exactly what my load would be so thank you for that. We plan on sticking to camp grounds for now but I already have a generator that I plan on taking with us just in case.

Ruggybuggy likes this.
  5. Jul 7, 2019 at 5:43 PM
    Troyken

Troyken Well-Known Member

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB v6 off road 4x4 6 spd. MT
    I have posted recently in another thread that I had not yet seen a Tacoma towing a larger travel trailer or heavy on the New york State Thruway. This weekend I saw two Tacoma's' towing. One was a 3rd gen. carrying one 4 wheeler in the bed and one on a 4x8 foot utility trailer behind. He appeared to be hard on the overloads since he seemed to have a very jarring ,bouncy ride. I was behind him for about 7-8 miles and he then exited. He was also doing about 55 mph on the new Tappan Zee bridge in a 40 mph zone..... The other one was a 3rd gen. towing a single axle travel trailer of about 20' give or take. He was on the side of the road with a flat on the trailer so I didn't see how well he towed. Everything else, and there were many.... F-150 size or larger. This road has 55 to 65 mph speed limits by the way.

6. Nov 23, 2019 at 7:10 PM
    steve ault

steve ault [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    steve
    Vehicle:
    2016 tacome trd off road
    none
    i have towed the r-pod to san felipe baja ca from central oregon twice . once from san felipe back to oregon via co,wy , nm ut idaho total trips about 6 k. about 10-11 mpg at speed limit. installed air bags and a wdh . i think it did a great job handling the high mt 8000 elv

Products Discussed in

To Top