1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Advice on used prerunner purchase

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by kcinpdx, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Aug 31, 2011 at 10:57 AM
    kcinpdx

kcinpdx [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hello all- first post newbie here. I've owned 3 toyotas to date - 94 4x4, 96 4Runner and a hybrid highlander. I'm looking to get a used truck and found a 1999 pre runner ext cab with the off-road package, matching hardshell canopy only 72K miles asking price $10,995. It's been for sale for a long while, so I think I could get it closer to $9000. According to the dealer the records are impeccable. I'd prefer a double cab and 4x4, but with a trade in or selling my car the price becomes very cheap.

Any issues I need to be on the lookout for with a Tacoma over 10 yrs old? Is this a decent price?

Any advice would be great,
    Thanks,
    kc

2. Aug 31, 2011 at 11:00 AM
    Max-4_Yota

Max-4_Yota The Welfare Cadilac

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma 4x4, V6, 5spd
    Squattin'
    Look for frame rust

3. Aug 31, 2011 at 11:01 AM
    Fink

Fink Motorboatin' SOB

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 Regular Cab 4x4
    WeatherTechs, 265/75-16 DuraTracs, ATX Mojave Teflon Wheels, ARE V-Series Shell
    Welcome to TW!

That truck is just getting broken in - just be sure to do all of the preventative maintenance items yourself after you get it, so you know it was done and done right, and you should be fine. However, keep in mind all of the rust issues the 1st gen frames are known for, be sure this one is not infected with it before buying. You can always run the VIN with Toyota to see what, if anything, has been done to the frame.

Some pics of it would help us judge the condition, though - interior, undercarriage, etc...

I do have to say, if you would prefer something else, why settle for this? Why not wait to find just the truck you've been wanting?

Either way, good luck with the sale!

Fink[​IMG]

4. Aug 31, 2011 at 11:09 AM
    okboatie1

okboatie1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Darrell
    Chula Vista, CA.
    Vehicle:
    03 PreRunner TRD SR5 DCSB
    OME 881's w/Dakar's, Deckplate mod, Debadged, door chime mod, 12V outlets always on,
    Welcome to TW! Maybe check the e-locker to see if it will engage:confused:. A dirt lot is ideal, not sure if this is an option for you. You can do it on the street, but go no further than it takes to lock up and the light to stop flashing. I usually have to turn the wheel to get the teeth to line up. GO s-l-o-w-l-y.

5. Aug 31, 2011 at 11:22 AM
    kcinpdx

kcinpdx [OP] New Member

Member:
    Wow - thanks for all the quick responses!

I will definitely check for rust issues and run the VIN.

The reason why I woudl get this instead of what I would really like is cost. If I can get the price down to 9000$, I'm looking at laying out $4-5K - not much for a solid truck w low miles and close to what I want. If I hold out for the double 4x4 with similar mileage, I'm in it for at least $20K judging by the recent prices I've seen.

here is the link to the truck:
    http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/ctd/2570302831.html

6. Aug 31, 2011 at 11:32 AM
    Fink

Fink Motorboatin' SOB

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 Regular Cab 4x4
    WeatherTechs, 265/75-16 DuraTracs, ATX Mojave Teflon Wheels, ARE V-Series Shell
    I would either go look at it in person or ask for some more pics of the undercarriage.

Also be sure to get a Carfax and see if they have any service records on it.

Fink[​IMG]

To Top