1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Advice or thoughts from anyone.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by 04LTtacoma, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Nov 29, 2011 at 4:08 PM
    Bishop2Queens6

Bishop2Queens6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB SR5 4x4
    Icon 2.5 RR/w CDCV 700# springs Front Shocks JBA UCA's Wheeler's Offroad Superbump Front Bump Stops Icon 2.5 RR/w CDCV 4"+ Rear Shocks AllPro Expo Rear Leaf Pack Timbren Rear Bump Stops ARB Front Bumper @Shmellmopwho Rock Sliders w/ Kickout RCI Aluminum Front Skid Plate Prinsu Roof Rack Roll-N-Lock Tonneau Cover CBI Ditch Light Brackets Cali-Raised LED Ditch Lights Cali-Raised Amber Fogs Cali-Raised Flush Mount LED Pods
    That's odd... When we were discussing the P.E. license in class, my professor, who got his P.E. in New York, was unable to sign off (stamp) on projects here in CA because of our seismic regulations. He had to retake his P.E. to get certified to sign off (stamp) in SoCal.

It's like passing the bar. If you pass the bar in Washington, you're gonna have to pass the bar in CA to practice law here because our laws are different state to state, parallel that to codes and regulations for engineering; however, because CA has some of the strictest and highest codes and reg's for seismic, ethics, and study material, if you get your P.E. in CA, you can sign off (stamp) in various other states.

To the O.P., you are still able to get a job and be an engineer with just a B.S. An F.E. is more impressive and quiet easy to get. If you want to take on more responsibility and get paid more, go for your P.E. down the road.

GL

2. Nov 29, 2011 at 4:17 PM
    Toyoghi

Toyoghi Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shoghi
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Double Cab
    Solid tri-fold Tonneau, Deezee Bed mat, Pop n Lock.
    I think it has to do with APEGBC, the P.Eng liscence you get with them is good all over the world. Unlike the one that is state-specific.

I think our standards in Canada are very high, that may have to do with why it is recognized and accepted all over the world.

3. Nov 29, 2011 at 4:21 PM
    TacoTitan11

TacoTitan11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mr. C
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma
    learn as much of everything and anything while you are still young, TRUST ME

4. Nov 29, 2011 at 8:03 PM
    04LTtacoma

04LTtacoma [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    I only have one more class left which I will be taking spring term because my OJT hours are low... I need a total of 6k hours with 436hrs of class time. I am definitely going to get my LE license before I start working par time and go to school full time.

5. Nov 29, 2011 at 8:07 PM
    04LTtacoma

Member:
    Oregon

Thanks. I am kinda glad that I didn't go straight into college after I graduated from high school because at the time I wanted to get a degree in business. I didn't know what I was thinking once I got out of high school. Haha. Heck I didn't even know what I wanted to do for a career.
    I have a lot of friends who have their EET or ME degree. I chose ME because it covers a broad range of jobs.
    I have heard the three classes that weed out the most people are thermodynamics, strength of materials, and statics.

6. Nov 29, 2011 at 8:11 PM
    04LTtacoma

Member:
    Oregon

I am not considering the college curriculum. lol I am taking basic ed classes right now and this Friday I am going to speak with a engineering about getting into the two years program they off at my community college I attend. lol

7. Dec 15, 2012 at 9:59 AM
    04LTtacoma

Member:
    Oregon
    Grades actually do matter. The school I want to enter requires you to have at least a 3.0 overall GPA. I am trying to earn a 3.5 GPA for the whole entire year since I am trying to apply for a few scholarships.

8. Dec 15, 2012 at 10:13 AM
    RAT PRODUCTS

RAT PRODUCTS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Farmington, MN
    Vehicle:
    Cummins Coal Roller
    Smokin with a smarty.
    He's saying after you get in the ME program. I'm in it right now and holding a 3.0 GPA is very tough. It's a ton of work. I don't work as hard as I should to get good grades because all my friends are in easy classes and never study, and it's very frustrating in that aspect. I don't want to study while they party. One of my friends graduated with a 2.4 GPA and got a job right out of college making $60k. He had internship experience and stuff that the employer really cared about.

9. Dec 15, 2012 at 10:18 AM
    vbibi

vbibi Well-Known Member

Member:
    san fransisco bay area
    Vehicle:
    2009 4door long bed
    I have to give it to you, wanting to add more education is the way to go. I just seen the interview done by Williams on NBC on which the now CEO of Apple just said that the only reason the new I phone is done overseas, is the lack of skilled workers.
    Now, how about the lack of commitment in you-re part? first mechanic, then electrician,
    now engineer, make up your mind and stick with something.

10. Dec 16, 2012 at 11:04 PM
    09sr5

09sr5 gonna be a long ride

Member:
    East Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2009 sr5 2.7 4x4 AC
    265/75 AT3's on stock wheels. 5100's@1.75". Trail Gear sliders. Toytec AAL
    look into an IBEW apprenticeship. Great benefits, retirement, and pay.

Products Discussed in

To Top