1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

[Advice Request] New to Tacoma (Hello!)

Discussion in 'New Members' started by TacoJunkieN, Mar 22, 2014.

1. Mar 22, 2014 at 10:39 PM
    TacoJunkieN

TacoJunkieN [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    11 PreRunner TRD Off Road
    Hello everyone! I thought the forums would be the best place for friendly advice for my purchase. I'm planning on trading in my 05 Toyota Camry for a Toyota Tacoma. I currently live in CA and want to move some things to CO where I'll be spending my time in Grad School. I want to finally get a Tacoma that I've always dreamed of owning since I learned how to drive. Although the financial opportunities never presented itself, I've saved enough where I think I'm ready to make the purchase, but would like some advice so I may make a smart purchase.

I tried searching the forums for a sticky post for new members on buying and enthusiast terms, but I haven't found much luck. I'm eyeing a double cab, TRD off road spec. I'm thinking 5ft long bed with a cover to block snow from getting into the bed. I'm not very familiar with the terms or things like gear differentials (other than definitions from google) and other widgets/wodgets.

Once again hello everyone I hope to learn lots here!

2. Mar 22, 2014 at 10:52 PM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    Welcome :wave:

What sort of questions do you have? You don't have to know what every single thing is called to make a purchase.

3. Mar 22, 2014 at 11:06 PM
    TacoJunkieN

TacoJunkieN [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the reply. I'm very impressed with the local community feel the forum offers. I guess I'm just paranoid that I'd be overpaying for things I may not necessarily understand, and I definitely want to make the best out of my purchase.

Should I consider 4x2 or 4x4 in my purchase? Does it make a difference in snow or other conditions?

Are there other considerations I should note when buying the vehicle?

Are there special considerations I should be aware about in snow environments? I'm pretty foreign to the concept.

As a first time Tacoma owner, where would I first look for a performance upgrade?

4. Mar 22, 2014 at 11:11 PM
    memario1214

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    If you are moving to Colorado, buy a 4x4 no questions asked. Are you looking at buying a new or a used truck?

As far as driving in the snow is concerned it is a learned talent. You need to just get out in it and see how the vehicle reacts to different throttle situations. Find an empty parking lot after a snow storm and have a little fun. Everything you want to do takes much longer to happen when the roads are icy. All I can say is GO SLOW.

Performance stuff is kind of odd concept for Tacomas. Sure you can make them quicker, but you will never build a bullet. Check out urdusa.com and the performance section of this forum for the best info. I would get the truck and drive it around for a few months at least to get used to its behaviors and quirks so that you can diagnose or notice issues if they arise before you start hacking it apart modding.

5. Mar 22, 2014 at 11:20 PM
    Andy.G

Andy.G Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    96 tacoma sx 4x4 2.7 5 speed
    Started automatic. Swapped to manual
    I would start by saying you wan't 4x4 if you will be driving in Colorado in winter months. I have never lived there but have friends that do. They have plenty of snow stories. On what tacoma you want,depends on your needs and hobbies,how much money you want to spend,and how many miles per year you anticipate.

6. Mar 22, 2014 at 11:25 PM
    95 taco

95 taco Battle Born

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 TRD SR5 auto
    OME 883 front, OMD 3.5" rear, Relentless front bumper, smittybilt 9.5K winch
    Welcome to TW from sand diego

If the finances are available go with the 4x4, you never know when you may need it.
    And just so you know the TRD off road only comes with the 5ft bed with the 4 door model.

7. Mar 22, 2014 at 11:27 PM
    Andy.G

Andy.G Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    96 tacoma sx 4x4 2.7 5 speed
    Started automatic. Swapped to manual
    Hey Colton,love that profile pic!!

8. Mar 22, 2014 at 11:31 PM
    TacoJunkieN

TacoJunkieN [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    May I ask what the benefits are for the 4x4 over the 4x2. Is it something I'll learnt to utilize naturally with driving the truck?

I'm hoping for new around 27k is my hopefully budget. Anything above that I'll probably be grinding teeth.

9. Mar 22, 2014 at 11:31 PM
    memario1214

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    Oh my avatar? :D Thanks!

10. Mar 22, 2014 at 11:33 PM
    robssol

robssol If it ain't broke, leave it the eff alone!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    S. Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma, TRD Sport, SR5, 4X4, AC
    Frame 2.0, Fog lights anytime, Seatbelt reminder delete, Secondary air filter delete, LED bed lights, Running boards, 2017 Rims, Devil Horns by Andres, Ultra gauge, Cup holder/consol/glove compartment lights, Interior LED conversion, Blue Sea aux. fuse panel, fuse panel mounting plate by Yotamac, ProEFX heated towing mirrors, LED engine bay lights, Redline Quicklift Elite hood struts, Wet Okole Heated Seat Covers, Pop and Lock tailgate theft deterrent mod 2.0, Plasti-dip rear bumper. Decal free visors, Washable cabin air filter, Overhead consol auto dimming override switch, BulletProof Fabricating Skid plate, 2lo module.
    Welcome, X2 on the learned talent and GO SLOW. Remember every year the first snowfall you need to refresh yourself. There are a ton of theory's and opinions about whether or not, and position of weight in the back. I use about 300lbs of sand.
    ABS will make you understeer in corners, and in 4WD your front tires will tend to pull you into deeper snow.
    Good luck on your purchase and enjoy the ride:mudding:

11. Mar 22, 2014 at 11:40 PM
    memario1214

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    See above ^^^ As you learn to drive the truck you will also find its weaknesses and strengths. You should learn how the 4wd system works and you will learn over time when you need it and when you dont. On icy conditions it will help you keep from "peeling out" on the ice as you are being propelled with 4 tires instead of two.

You can get a whole lot of truck for 27k.

12. Mar 22, 2014 at 11:41 PM
    TacoJunkieN

TacoJunkieN [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Hello and thank you! I'm doing some browsing for prices, and as far as true car is concerned there doesn't seem to be an option for the TRD Off Road 4x4. Would I be at a disadvantage by purchasing a "regular" 4x4 tacoma vs a TRD Off Road version of the 4x4?

Source

13. Mar 22, 2014 at 11:49 PM
    TacoJunkieN

TacoJunkieN [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Thank you! Seems like 4x4 is the way to go apparently. I'm hoping to spend 27ishk, I am planning to go pretty deep into my studies. I should only be driving a few miles a day back and forth from school. With the occasional groceries and gas hopefully. On holidays I'm really hoping to head into the mountains ^^ for snowboarding and such, would be really great. I'm definitely looking forward to breaking in the Tacoma and avoid such things like this: Not excited for this

Edit: Not*

Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
  14. Mar 23, 2014 at 12:02 AM
    TacoJunkieN

TacoJunkieN [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Duly noted! TYVM!

15. Mar 23, 2014 at 12:06 AM
    95 taco

95 taco Battle Born

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 TRD SR5 auto
    The main differences between a TRD off-road and a SR5 model would be, on the TRD you gain more comfortable seats (the TRD seats are more comfortable to me), with the off-road model you get a locking rear differential, which is helpful when you're stuck, and all TRD models get a power inverter in the bed.

Also the TRD off-road gets Atrac (advanced traction control) which to some is very useful, it is mainly used for off-roading or getting unstuck.

16. Jan 6, 2017 at 5:49 AM
    1Shifter

1Shifter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Outta the black and into the blue
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner
    Same as everybody else...
    Welcome to the TW...like other members have said, you'll need a 4x4, good tires and practice driving it in the snow.
    Good luck with the forthcoming purchase

17. Jan 6, 2017 at 7:12 AM
    Over da Hill

Over da Hill "Roads...where we're going we don't need roads"

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    15 Black Taco 4WD DC SB SC
    Supercharger, Icon stage 3 suspension, Pelfreybilt Armor, All-Pro Sliders & Leaf Pack, 17 inch Black Rhino Sidewinder wheels, 33 inch Toyo tires, Rigid Lighting, SPod,
    Welcome aboard!

18. Jan 6, 2017 at 7:56 AM
    95 taco

95 taco Battle Born

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 TRD SR5 auto
    Holy thread revival Y'all, the OP was made in '14.
    This thread is so old I've moved twice (almost 2K miles) since I last posted.

19. Jan 7, 2017 at 1:46 PM
    ODNAREM

ODNAREM MEMBER Of The Church Of @ODNAREM

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Huntington Beach,CA.
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport Prerunner
    TRD catback exhaust,FJ Cruiser trail team wheels,BFG All Terrain K02 tires,Grillcraft front grill,Pelfreybilt IFS/Mid skids,sliders,standard rear bumper,Total Chaos bed stiffeners.TRD Pro Bilstein front/rear suspension.
    :popcorn:Hide your wallet as well being on the TW forum!:D

Products Discussed in

To Top