1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

advise for install axle shims

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by brutalguyracing, Jan 24, 2010.

1. Aug 19, 2010 at 7:25 AM
    twr437

twr437 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    East Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport 4x4 LB
    nerf bars, bed cover, husky liners, Icon coilovers, LR UCA, rear 5100s, TSB AAL, diff drop, carrier baring drop, axel shims, AFE pro dry filter, BHLM, mesh grill, Black emblems,
    Sounds like you got it man. I would go ahead and plan on using the washers....better to be safe than sorry.

2. Nov 20, 2010 at 4:20 PM
    patacoman2001

patacoman2001 Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '01 4X4 sr5 Xtra cab
  3. Jan 9, 2011 at 7:50 PM
    MRW

MRW Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marco
    Sunny San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2006 DCSB PreRunner
    See my build page!
    raised from the dead, but just wantd to add my experience..

Jusr lifted the truck with billy 5100 at 2.5 with 2" toytec aal and front driver spacer. I bought the shims, but as many of youhave experienced, the head of the center pin is difficult to line up and I did not want to add the washers, I feel like toytec should of made the heads longer to begin with. I did not want the rear suspension resting "slightly" in the axle hole. I can't imagine how much damage this would do if it slipped out during a bump..

I decided to take out the shims and extended u bolts.. I will be returning these back to toytec. They should have either made longer heads on the center pins or made a groove/bump on the bottom of the shim so that it could sit into the axle center pin hole.

The truck drives great with out it.. there is a very very tiny vibe at exactly 5mph-7mph but it would be un nocticeable if I told someone to drive ti and didnt tell them. I feel it in the steering wheel so I am hoping that after alignment next week that vibe goes away.. if not I will try the cb drop.

Eitherway, I am not going to put in a toytec shim no matter what unless the engineering on it is made a little bit better.. customers shouldn't be second guessing fitment on something that could damage the truck or harm others because of a slip.

4. Feb 1, 2012 at 7:45 PM
    ETaco23

ETaco23 Marshall offroad Fabrication

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    13' Pyrite Mica TRD Offroad DCSB 4x4
    Color Match Grille, Bed mat, Kings with JBA UCA's, Dakars and 34" BFG KM3, Snugtop Canopy, and my "Marshall Fabrication" Rock Sliders.
    ^^ Very true! Im going to try and get rid of my vibes this weekend. Didnt want to use the crappy design toytec shims, unless I got extenders for the center bolts.. So I ordered some new/better shims off summitracing.com. There actually bolt on shims that came with new center pins... So wish me luck!

the only gripe about the new shims is that there 2"s wide (universal shim) and the Tacoma leaf pack is about 2-3/8" wide.. but it should work just fine!

5. Feb 5, 2012 at 5:46 PM
    SKULLY

SKULLY Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB
    Sub'd

6. Feb 22, 2012 at 1:18 PM
    KingMoo

KingMoo Well-Known Member

Member:
    Calgary
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport
    -LIFT: 5100 bilsteins all around (set at 0.85 in front) eibach coils 2" AAL -D-RINGS -BED COVER rollaway
    Today I moved from major vibes to minor vibes by flipping the CB. This weekend I'm thinking I'll add the 2 degree shims to make the rear diff angle 0 degrees.

Here's where I am now:
    [​IMG]

If I install my 2 degree shims then I'll still have issues since the TC angle and second shaft angle are not opposite. I guess I'll add the CB drop too to see how that works out. Any ideas?

EDIT: the process I used for measuring angles was: zero the angle finder on the TC. measure 1st shaft angle. measure 2nd shaft angle. zero angle finder on rear diff. measure rear shaft angle.

EDIT2: on second thought. If I just lower the CB enough to get it from 2.8 (4.9 - 2.1) to 0 degrees, then perhaps the TC and rear diff angles will cancel each other out, as long as it doesn't have to be lowered too much causing the TC angle to go over 3.5 degrees.

7. Feb 27, 2012 at 8:42 AM
    HB Taco

HB Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Curt
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 F150 FX4 S Crew 3.5 TT
    Has anyone ever put the shim in backwards to create a little more pinion angle? The reason I ask is because I have about 2" lift in the rear and this created a pinion angle of about 2.5 degrees. The angle coming off the transfer case is 5 degrees and the CB angle is only 0.7 degrees now. So my theory is if I get a little more angle on the Pinion the TC and the pinion angles will cancel each other out and my CB angle is already near zero so I should be good. This is according to Driveline 101. I'm not an expert in drivelines but I've been researching a lot and this should do the trick for me. Just pulled this off another thread which supports my theory. http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/PDFs/Federal_Mogul_how_to_measure_driveshaft%20angles.pdf
    I only have a slight take off shutter so I'm not even sure if this is causing it, but I've learned that having the angles off like that can cause a vibration. I have no other vibes in the rear end and I get it over 80MPH on occasion. Not sure if its even worth it though I've had my wife drive it and even asked her if she noticed anything. She didn't! Oh and I've tried dropping the CB many times from 1/4" to 1" and tried rotating the CB 180 and that made it worse.

8. Jun 4, 2012 at 6:13 AM
    BassMaster06

BassMaster06 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2006 Double Cab V6 4x4
    Mods: sand, dog hair, roof rust
    Got some driveline vibrations with my Dakars. I have shims ready to install. I'm also going to install a center pin washer to lengthen the bolt. I have a few preliminary questions about how the install is going to go:

From my understanding, I will need to loosen the ubolts, and drop the axle down away from the springs in order to get the pin out and install the washer. I'm assuming I will have to unbolt the rear shocks in order to get the rear axle down far enough? Is that correct? Is it best to do one side at a time? or unbolt both rear shocks, drop the axle down and install everything at once?

9. Jun 9, 2012 at 6:47 AM
    BassMaster06

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2006 Double Cab V6 4x4
    Bump for advice! Is removing the rear shocks, or at least unbolting the top of the shock from the truck, necessary? I need to get the axle down far enough to install a washer on the center pin and slide the shims in. Id rather not unbolt the shock if i dont have to, but I don't want to over-extend it from the weight of the axle. Input please!

10. Jun 17, 2012 at 9:25 AM
    socal4x

socal4x Well-Known Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    '16 MGM DCSB OR 4x4 6MT
    What did you end up doing?

I just installed Dakars myself. I will probably be putting a 2 deg. shim in. But I may have to have 4wheel parts do it. I cut a tendon on my thumb, so I'm not supposed to be working:mad:

I recommend you unbolt the bottom shock mount, and also the brake bracket that sits on top of the axle. Get as much room for yourself as you can.

If you already did it, was the Dakar pin long enough to go through the shim? My pins came extra long, and I just drilled into the bumpstop instead of cutting.

11. Jun 17, 2012 at 9:41 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    The Dakar pin will be long enough , but it depends on the style of shim whether it will work or not .

Some axle shims have a hole in them that matches the diameter of the centre pin threaded portion , and are mounted to the pack by removing the pin completely , running it through the shim and leafs , thus bolting the shim to the leaf pack , in this case the regular Dakar pin on it's own will work .

The other style of axle shim has a hole that matches the head diameter of the centre pin , in this case you need centre pin collars to extend the portion of the pin that is exposed on the bottom of the leaf pack so that it is sufficiently long enough to extend through the axle shim and still positively engage the axle .

Let me get you a link on axle shims , collars and Dakars

One second

12. Jun 17, 2012 at 9:42 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
  13. Jun 17, 2012 at 11:01 AM
    socal4x

socal4x Well-Known Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    '16 MGM DCSB OR 4x4 6MT
    Thanks.

Yeah, I want to get the ones that bolt up to the pack. Trailmaster or Rough Country are the ones I've seen. Probably a pretty generic part.

I was thinking that the Dakar pin is probably left long by them to accommodate the optional extra leaf that they offer.

14. Jun 17, 2012 at 11:13 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Correct

15. Jun 18, 2012 at 12:49 PM
    BassMaster06

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2006 Double Cab V6 4x4

I ended up using 2 jacks. One to jack the back of the truck up, the other to support the rear axle. I unbolted the u-bolts and then the rear shocks from the top (rather than the bottom), and just used a coat hanger to keep the shock compressed. I used two C-clamps to hold the leaf pack together while I pulled the center pin, added the washer, then reinstalled. I used the 3 degree shims from toytec. The pin on the dakars was long enough, but the addition of the washer was necessary to get the head of the pin into the axle perch, and for peace of mind.

16. Jun 18, 2012 at 1:16 PM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    Damn...I need to get with the program on installing my axle shims.

I bought the shims and new u-bolts over a year ago. They've been sitting on the workbench in the garage... I just need to buy new centering pins and the spacers/washers.

Products Discussed in

To Top