1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Advise on fluid film diy

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Tacoma Angler, Oct 16, 2020.

1. Oct 16, 2020 at 5:16 PM
    Tacoma Angler

Tacoma Angler [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Trd off-road
    I would like to get set up to undercoat my own vehicles. Living in Vt I’ve seen too much rust over the years. I know it will be costly this year but should save me money in the long run. For those of you that do your own fluid film undercoating, can you recommend ramps for lifting one side of the vehicle at a time and a compressor for me to purchase? Any other tips would be much appreciated.
    Thanks
    Steven

2. Oct 16, 2020 at 5:18 PM
    Provist

Provist Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020-TRD-OR-4X4-AT-DCSB-QS
  3. Oct 16, 2020 at 5:24 PM
    Iwilltaco

Iwilltaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    @kairo’s guest house having a water with @not_nick
    Under development
    I just drive up on rhino ramps.

4. Oct 16, 2020 at 5:53 PM
    Kruuuzn

Kruuuzn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Traverse City, Michigan
    I used a couple pair of ramps when I undercoated mine a couple weeks ago.
    It was quick and easy and allowed enough room to work.

A33CA9B6-1299-40E8-A41C-E39BF7CE2DE9.jpg 14D3F57A-9518-465F-A182-7A0E8D9B0CDB.jpg

5. Oct 17, 2020 at 4:45 AM
    RichVT

RichVT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Northern Vermont
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Off Road 4X4 AC Grey
    I would say that you're not going to be able to do a very thorough job without being able to remove the wheels.

Tacoma Angler[OP] and zoo truck like this.
  6. Oct 17, 2020 at 4:57 AM
    six5crèéd

six5crèéd Go fish.

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce, or Crèéd, neither is correct.
    Southern Virginia
  7. Oct 17, 2020 at 5:11 AM
    zoo truck

zoo truck Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 quicksand sr5 tacoma
    None
    That includes the spare to. Make sure you get it inside some of the frame sections that are boxed in. Imo, i'd use a cosmoline type product unless you enjoy repeating the process every year. It sucks bad enough if you do it yourself. I'd rather do it once and hope for a few touchups the following years.

Tacoma Angler[OP] and jmneill like this.
  8. Oct 17, 2020 at 5:25 AM
    Tacorific

Tacorific Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    NE Iowa
    Vehicle:
    Barcelona Red 2018 SR5 I4 4X4
    Torque Pro, LED Map & Dome lights, Westin Hitch, Ride Rite Air bags with Daystar perches, Utility Package Rear Cab Panel
    You can do it with one of those little pancake, or hot dog style, compressors. It will kick the compressor on about 5 seconds after you pull the trigger, but it will work. You will probably also have to stop every 30 seconds , or so, to let the compressor catch up, because you are going to be using more volume of air than the compressor can generate. In my book, the little cheep spray wand that attaches to the can of FF would be just as good. If you do end up purchasing one of those little compressors, get a good one that is quiet. The rattle that those cheep ones make will drive you crazy.

I use a 30 gallon, 3 hoarse compressor, but paid something like $300 or $400 for it back 40 years ago. It is just about the minimum that will "run" that type of spray gun continuously.

9. Oct 17, 2020 at 5:30 AM
    Fishingeek603

Fishingeek603 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Hamphire
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Sport, Super White Access Cab 4x4
    Fox 2.0 front with res adjustable rears jba ucas icon rxt leaf pack.
    For what its worth I have a local shop do krown and he uses roughly 2 and a half gallons on my truck. He does a phenomenal job. It takes him roughly 3 hours to do it. Total cost was 139 dollars. He puts it on a lift and gets every nook and cranny.

Tacoma Angler[OP] likes this.
  10. Oct 17, 2020 at 5:39 AM
    Iwilltaco

Member:
    Under development
    Is he homeless? That’s not charging enough

11. Oct 17, 2020 at 5:41 AM
    ShirtTucker

ShirtTucker Taco Tip Line: 248-434-5508

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 V6 Sport AC MT
    Lots-o-stuff
    I drop the spare, but don't otherwise raise the truck. Yeah, it's a bit of a b*tch scooting around under the truck, but I haven't had any problem spraying any part of the truck.

12. Oct 17, 2020 at 6:31 AM
    Fishingeek603

Fishingeek603 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Hamphire
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Sport, Super White Access Cab 4x4
    Fox 2.0 front with res adjustable rears jba ucas icon rxt leaf pack.
    Those are fixed rates per krown he is an awesome guy. This is my third winter in the salt belt with the truck and the frame is still mint.

13. Oct 17, 2020 at 7:53 AM
    Rick111

Rick111 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Vehicle:
    2019 DCSB TRD OR 6M
    ARE Z series cap w/Bedrug
    Plus when I rotated the tires is when I did a touch up around the suspension. Like he says, you have to drop the spare and it can be done without raising the truck onto stands, just harder to move around.

14. Oct 17, 2020 at 8:40 AM
    FRE1809

FRE1809 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Long Island,N.Y. ; USN ( Ret.)
    If you have rust I would remediate that first ( Ospho). Primer, paint then FF with an air compressor. Applying FF by itself might work below the Mason Dixon Line but in VT you won't accomplish anything permanently. The rust must be removed or neutralize ( Ospho) then the above application. I 've been doing this to mine since 2012 . I'm OCD when it comes to rust on my frame. There is none.

You will also need : 2P patience and preparation. 6P Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance.
    GL Winter is coming.

wahoobie and Tacoma Angler[OP] like this.
  15. Oct 17, 2020 at 8:43 AM
    Iwilltaco

Member:
    Under development
    I was assuming his 2020 is still rust free. But yes, older frames should address the rust before protecting

16. Oct 17, 2020 at 8:48 AM
    Taco_mike73

Taco_mike73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    York, PA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Cement SR5 DCSB 4x4
    Lomax tonneau cover, oem bed lights, AJT Design chrome delete, black out badges & tailgate letters, AVS hood deflector & vent visors, Solkie tech hood supports, interior LED lights, Tufskinz mud guards, RedArc TowPro Liberty, bed mat, kicker speaker upgrade, Hikari ultra H11 low beams, Diode Dynamics SS3 fogs in yellow, Meso customs total taillight stage 1. Coming soon: Compact powered sub install Future mods planned: bigger tires (265/75/16) BILLSTIEN 5100 lift
    I just did this last weekend. I used set of steel car ramps I've had for decades . Backed the truck up on them, lowered the spare and got as much of the frame and body under the cab as possible with the spray cans, the straw and extension hose. Then put the spare back, drove off the ramps, moved them to the front, repeated the same after removing the steel bottom cover. I stayed away from the brakes, oil and transmission pans, oil cooler, CV boots but did the drive shafts and axels as best I could.
    It would be way easier if I had access to a lift but I don't. I only have a gravel driveway, ramps and some big cardboard sheets to work on. I did the best I could, it has to be better than not.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
  17. Oct 17, 2020 at 9:37 AM
    beergeek

beergeek Well-Known Member

Member:
    RI
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black Tacoma Limited
    I would recommend Wool Wax rather than Fluid Film. It’s a thicker version made by the same company and it lasts longer as it’s more difficult to wash off.

EDIT: They are not made by the same company. FF is made by Eureka Chemical in CA. WW is made by Kellsport in MA.
    Regardless, having used both, I’d recommend WoolWax.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
  18. Oct 17, 2020 at 10:12 AM
    MikeyMcFly

MikeyMcFly This is heavy, Doc.

Member:
    I'm a Masshole
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off-Road 6MT / 1999 Corvette 6MT
    Building a Broja
    I've been Fluid Filming my Tacomas since 2012 and have never used a lift / ramps to do any part of it. I did the first year by hand using a paint brush and spray cans. The second year I was in my house and had a 2.5 HP 10-gallon compressor from HF that hasn't let me down yet using the Kellsport FF kit. I spray anywhere between 0.75 to 1 gallon a year, but I've got so much on there now I don't think I need the "heavy duty" coat on as many of the areas. That reminds me, I'll have to check my supplies tomorrow. Maybe I'll take the plunge and switch to Woolwax when my FF runs out.

The only areas I have any corrision are the high spray areas like the leading edge of the transmission crossmember, the leading edge. I did see a small amount of surface corrosion under my TRD skid plate when I had it off this past summer, but they were all bolt on parts, so I wasn't nearly as worried.

I recommend getting the spray cans to get your rockers, cab corners and door/tailgate bottoms.

19. Oct 17, 2020 at 6:57 PM
    Tacoma Angler

Tacoma Angler [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Trd off-road
    Wow, thanks for all the responses. I’ve ordered the wool wax kit that comes with the gun, wands and a 5 gallon bucket. This should work for our 4 vehicles. A friend loaned me his small 6 gallon bostitch compressor and I’ll give that a try and upgrade and purchase a bigger one if that doesn’t work. I’m going to look for some jack stands to help lift the truck a bit, this will also give me the ability to remove the tires. Thanks again and I’ll let you know how it goes
    Steven

Iwilltaco likes this.
  20. Oct 17, 2020 at 10:24 PM
    ksimms92

ksimms92 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    West of Chicago
    Vehicle:
    2020 Silver TRD OR DCLB 4X4
    I just did mine today, first time using fluid film and recently bought my tacoma.

I didn’t use ramps and was able to slide under the truck with a creeper, but it was a tight fit. Would probably be easier with ramps but it’s possible without.

Definitely get a tyvek coverall suit and nitrile gloves! It’s super messy and this will help keep the mess off your cloths. I wore a full face respirator because I already had one, it was helpful because I accidentally sprayed towards myself a few times.

I did the spray cans this time and used 13 cans total, I’ll probably get a spray gun kit next year since I already have a compressor.

Just take your time and make sure to get all the nooks and crannies and definitely take off the spare tire to get access to all the metal in that area.

To Top