1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

advise please

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by pat's taco, Dec 2, 2008.

1. Dec 2, 2008 at 8:45 AM
    pat's taco

pat's taco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2013 XSP-X DC
    Weathertech, ECG Fabrication retro grille, K&N intake, Magna flow dual, UWS low profile toolbox, NFAB & 30" light bar bumpe,r XSP-X package
    well as some of you know i have been unemployed since april. i've gone out almost every day to find a job, but nothing. the economy really sucks and after december i will be in some financial trouble as well. so i now i'm considering joining the military. is this a good idea or bad? i'm thinking more of reserve type military just so i will have something until i'm able to get another job. plus i'm willing to stay in it until i retire. my wife isn't to happy with the idea...... i don't know any more ...... opinions and suggestions please !

2. Dec 2, 2008 at 8:57 AM
    longbow

longbow I see you now..................

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Silver Mica TRD 4 Door
    Toy-tec Coil over lift, Eibach 700 lb springs, Sway bar relocate, Total Chaos UCA's, Moto metal wheels, BFG mudterrians, HID, custom 3 piece grill, Highlift jack w/custom mount, Highlift jack cover, bed matt, de-badged 100%, storage box lock mod, using defrost w/o AC mod, short antenna mod, horn re-locate, Tire Gate flat spare tire mount, engine cover painted, bed light (1) mod, wreck bar carrier, Blue Sea 5026 fuse block, center console outlet, flash light mod, Blue Sea inline fuse, Shrockworks sliders, All-Pro front bumper, Piaa 510 driving lights, Warn shackles front, Kennesaw rear bumper, "Tag Boltz" plate lights, Warn shackles rear, Warn M8000 winch, devil horns, BHLM, weathech liners front and rear.....T.W. sticker of course. Custom Sock bed decal for Michele
    Well first off make sure your wife is 100% with the choice you make. Now depending if you go reserve or fully active, just remeber you can't just walk away from it if you find a job.
    Make sure you weigh everything out, chances are very good no matter what way you go you will be deployed, even if you do not go to a hot spot they will most likely move you, and your wife needs to be OK with that. Also if children are in the picture need to think about that also.
    It is a tough life if you are happy and the other half is not. It is rewarding, and a person can go far if that is his choice. But please think of how all of it would impact your lady.
    I know times are tough, with everything going on it really blows to see so many out of work or going to get their job's slashed. I wish I could tell you it would get better, hang in their, vent here or PM me if you have to.
    Think and pray about it long and hard, keep your other half fully in the loop, talk until you are blue in the face (sort of speaking).
    I will be thinking of you...................

3. Dec 2, 2008 at 10:00 AM
    Agent475

Agent475 "Mark It Zero"

Member:
    Waldorf, MD
    Vehicle:
    2006 Red TRD Sport
    Hood Struts, 3" Tuff Country Lift, Shortie Antenna, WeatherTechs, Tinted front windows, custom TRD seat covers, custom pedals, debadged, custom USMC badging, quasi-functional hoodscoop (i.e. I cut it open), black front Yota emblem, Tailgate Theft-Prevention mod, Horn Relocation mod, Old Man Emu Carrier Bearing Drop, Brighter Backup Lights Mod, Smittybilt Reciever Hitch Tow Point, currently working on Satoshi Grill Mod
    MAYBE the Coast Guard might be a good option for you...

4. Dec 2, 2008 at 10:02 AM
    pat's taco

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2013 XSP-X DC
    Weathertech, ECG Fabrication retro grille, K&N intake, Magna flow dual, UWS low profile toolbox, NFAB & 30" light bar bumpe,r XSP-X package
    thanks for the info guys. i'm totally aware of the longterm commitment....

why the coast guard ?

5. Dec 2, 2008 at 10:06 AM
    TRD Larry

TRD Larry trd larry

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    South Park, PA
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Black,Sport package,
    Sport pedals, Extang full-tilt cover, Magnaflow exhaust system, XPEL invisible paint protection, TRD short Shifter, Hood struts, Homelink mirror, Dbl power outlets,Kuhmo 275x55x20, Platinum #220 Abyss wheels 20x9.5. Muth heated signal mirrors TSB. Lo-Tek Pilllar pod with Glow-Shift gauges, 4x4 illuminated switch, Pioneer Z110BT (upgraded to Z130BT) w/2011 toyota tailgate backup camera,traffic tuner, parking brake bypass. Leather interior w/heated seats. LED's installed in glove box, center console, front and rear cupholders, rear console vent, AFE CAI, LED taillights, under hood lights, LED bed lights,oil catch can.
    I served my time during the Viet Nam era and was glad when I got out. my only problem with the service is that is a job you can't quit when you want. I second it, be sure your wife is 100% or you could be in for more trouble. This is a big decision, think hard and long.

6. Dec 2, 2008 at 10:10 AM
    Agent475

Agent475 "Mark It Zero"

Member:
    Waldorf, MD
    Vehicle:
    2006 Red TRD Sport
    Hood Struts, 3" Tuff Country Lift, Shortie Antenna, WeatherTechs, Tinted front windows, custom TRD seat covers, custom pedals, debadged, custom USMC badging, quasi-functional hoodscoop (i.e. I cut it open), black front Yota emblem, Tailgate Theft-Prevention mod, Horn Relocation mod, Old Man Emu Carrier Bearing Drop, Brighter Backup Lights Mod, Smittybilt Reciever Hitch Tow Point, currently working on Satoshi Grill Mod
    Well they tend to stay stateside more... No real chance of long term deployment to the sandbox... and you could pick up a great skill and get some great training too... Having been a Marine - I have respect for the Coasties... You could be a rescue swimmer, desk work, Environmental Protection, or even get into Vessel Boarding teams... That's pretty badass if you ask me... Imagine interdicting drug shipments or illegal immigrants!

I am tired of working for the Federal Gov... so I have been thinking of a career change myself - and it is an option for me still... :)

http://www.uscg.mil/top/careers.asp

There are some Coast Guard folks on here - recommend asking for more info! :)

7. Dec 2, 2008 at 10:19 AM
    LonghornTaco

LonghornTaco Can you pass the bailout please?

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Black 09 4x4 TRD Off Road Doublecab
    3" ToyTec coilover lift on Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs, ToyTec diff drop, Scangauge II, 4D MagLite mounted on the drivers seat, Painted engine cover, Painted calipers (red), Painted skid plate (red) Valentine 1 radar detector hard wired, Damplifier Pro on the floor, back wall and doors, Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and doors, Kenwood DNX8120, 2 Pioneer TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subs, 2 Pioneer PRS-D4200F 1200W amps, Mr Marv sub enclosure, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" components in the front doors, Alpine 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, A.R.E. LSII fiberglass tonneau cover, All Pro bumper, All Pro sliders, Wet Okole seat covers, Sockmonkey Mountain badges, PIAA 510 SMR Driving Lights, Warn M8000 Winch, Bud Built skids
    What are you trained to do? Your profile says aviation... Do you have any other skills?

8. Dec 2, 2008 at 10:21 AM
    pat's taco

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2013 XSP-X DC

i've worked in a shipping dept for 5+ years shipping dc-10 & 727 engines , alerons, flaps vanes, wheels , brakes, etc out for over hauling ..... for fedex

9. Dec 2, 2008 at 10:36 AM
    longbow

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Toy-tec Coil over lift, Eibach 700 lb springs, Sway bar relocate, Total Chaos UCA's, Moto metal wheels, BFG mudterrians, HID, custom 3 piece grill, Highlift jack w/custom mount, Highlift jack cover, bed matt, de-badged 100%, storage box lock mod, using defrost w/o AC mod, short antenna mod, horn re-locate, Tire Gate flat spare tire mount, engine cover painted, bed light (1) mod, wreck bar carrier, Blue Sea 5026 fuse block, center console outlet, flash light mod, Blue Sea inline fuse, Shrockworks sliders, All-Pro front bumper, Piaa 510 driving lights, Warn shackles front, Kennesaw rear bumper, "Tag Boltz" plate lights, Warn shackles rear, Warn M8000 winch, devil horns, BHLM, weathech liners front and rear.....T.W. sticker of course. Custom Sock bed decal for Michele
    With those skills have you thought of posting at other airports around the U.S. I know the one here in Indy just built a MASSIVE new airport. I worked on the tar mac for a number of years, some of the best fun I ever had.
    Good luck to you..

10. Dec 2, 2008 at 10:38 AM
    LonghornTaco

LonghornTaco Can you pass the bailout please?

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Black 09 4x4 TRD Off Road Doublecab
    3" ToyTec coilover lift on Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs, ToyTec diff drop, Scangauge II, 4D MagLite mounted on the drivers seat, Painted engine cover, Painted calipers (red), Painted skid plate (red) Valentine 1 radar detector hard wired, Damplifier Pro on the floor, back wall and doors, Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and doors, Kenwood DNX8120, 2 Pioneer TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subs, 2 Pioneer PRS-D4200F 1200W amps, Mr Marv sub enclosure, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" components in the front doors, Alpine 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, A.R.E. LSII fiberglass tonneau cover, All Pro bumper, All Pro sliders, Wet Okole seat covers, Sockmonkey Mountain badges, PIAA 510 SMR Driving Lights, Warn M8000 Winch, Bud Built skids
    Agreed. I know moving for a job isn't always the first (or even fifth) option, but sometimes you have to in order to keep working.

Just remember - the economy WILL rebound and you can always move back. Doesn't have to be permanent.

11. Dec 2, 2008 at 10:39 AM
    pat's taco

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2013 XSP-X DC
    i've applied at so many aviation places along the gulf coast it's not funny. I get we're not hiring now or oh we just hired someone........ i've been trying to get my old job back, but they are under a hiring freeze.....thats what i was told this morning

12. Dec 2, 2008 at 10:44 AM
    longbow

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    I just went through your neck of the woods this past Sunday.
    Just off the top of my head give Louisville KY or Indy a shot. Far yes, but not like on the other side of the U.S.

13. Dec 2, 2008 at 11:59 AM
    Munky

Munky Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Beau
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    4x4, Indigo, SR5
    Pace Edwards roll away, Chrome Steps, BFG All-Terrain T/A® KO 265/75/16
    Just remember if you raise your right hand... as with every job there are ups and downs... Downs for me in the Navy are being away from family for weeks/months at a time... Ups are i have been to 12 or 13 different countries and had alot of fun overseas

14. Dec 2, 2008 at 12:04 PM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    SBurl Vermont
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD OR DC MGM
    Stock for now
    The reserve initial commitment is 8 years now. Army Guard deployments are 18 mos. with talk of it going to 12 but more rotations. Air Guard are less than that, not sure, but know there are members here who can tell ya. I retired from fulltime guard in 2007 after 25 years & saw lots of changes. Most folks are "traditional" meaning they "drill" (drill=training) mostly once a month with a longer period sometime during the calendar year..... BUT... The whole one weekend a month and two weeks a year motto no longer is part of the reservist marketing campaign. When I left it was 15 drills and three weeks a year for traditional soldiers, not including training meetings and special duty. It didn't matter to me because I was there everyday, but to someone with a family or self-employed, or small companies, it can stress them out. After your initial basic and advance, you are up for grabs and it's not always "together" anymore. I saw folks voluntary and involuntary get called up.

If you want to know what you'll make for a drill, here's a link...

http://www.dfas.mil/militarypay/militarypaytables/2008MilitaryPayCharts35.pdf

One weekend = 4 drills, it starts on page 8. The fulltime charts are there as well. Plus there are other benefits like bonuses once you complete your advance schooling.

Think about it, its a huge commitment, a family life change and cannot just be for the money. The Coast Guard is an excellent option (great suggestion USMC :D) or research fulltime possibilities in the Guard/Reserve, they are always looking. Good luck with the job search.

15. Dec 2, 2008 at 12:07 PM
    tarheelfan_08

tarheelfan_08 Carolina Alliance

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2010 White 4x4 Double Cab Tacoma Short Bed
    Chrome Grill, Chrome accessories(door handles and mirror covers), LEER Super White Cover, Mirrors with Turn Signals, Window Vent Visors, Step Rails, WeatherTech Digital Floor Mats, Mini Maglight Holder, Chrome Bull Bar
    Have you thought about becoming a firefighter or a cop??

16. Dec 2, 2008 at 2:16 PM
    pat's taco

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2013 XSP-X DC

yeah i applied for the fire fighter thing but it just passed ... they only do it 2x a year..

17. Dec 2, 2008 at 2:18 PM
    lsocoee

lsocoee My hair is all natural Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    Have you considered moving to New Orleans? It seems like there are a lot of job openings around here.

18. Dec 2, 2008 at 2:23 PM
    aaronatl

aaronatl ©1975

Member:
    First Name:
    Cap'n Crunch
    In A Big Country
    Vehicle:
    it hauls tostitos
    after my 40% pay cut, since 2001 in the aviation industy
    I would consider electrical, HVAC or something else
    besides aviation.

19. Dec 2, 2008 at 2:24 PM
    pat's taco

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2013 XSP-X DC
    yes i have .... i will be there this weekend for the saints game actually ... i don't really know the area to well other than downtown and there is no way in hell i would want to live there ....

20. Dec 2, 2008 at 2:25 PM
    beastlytaco

beastlytaco This is TW. One never knows what is a joke anymore

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma standard cab
    15% tinted back window, 25% on sides. Jardine catback exhaust system. horn modification, AFE pro dry S filter and secondary filter removed. All weather toyota tacoma mats.
    yeah it does seem like New orleans they would be the place to be. Im considering making the coast guard my career; it wouldnt be bad as an option. they even have the coast guard reserve. that could also be an option. im just trying to help :)

To Top