1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

AEM FIC/6 controlling larger injectors issue

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by mtnkid85, May 4, 2017.

1. May 4, 2017 at 5:45 PM
    mtnkid85

mtnkid85 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    MT
    Vehicle:
    1999 TRD Taco
    35s, Locked, blown
    Hey guys,

Im having issues trying to get my FIC6 to control a set of Supra N/A 7mge injectors (23250-70080) in my 1999 5vz tacoma.

I opened a new fuel map and did the "injector size change", input 250cc for my old injectors and 310cc for the new supra injectors, which gave me a fuel trim of -18.

But when I start the truck it runs WAY rich, afrs are pegged at 10 and there is literally fuel dripping out of the exhaust.

No matter what fuel trims I input into the fuel map it doesn't change. Anyone have any ideas? I feel like I must be missing something? What steps have others gone through to run larger injectors?

I ran the AEM fic/6 for a while with the stock injectors and it seemed to do fine.

Thanks,

2. May 9, 2017 at 11:39 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
  3. May 21, 2017 at 11:02 PM
    Brice

Brice Turbo Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brice
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    1999 Tacoma PreRunner V6 SR5
    Wastegate assisted turbo delete
    Have you asked in the BS thread?

Sometimes you get bad injectors and one or the other may hang open, I just had this issue with 650cc's. Prior to their failure they worked fine for where I had tuned them. I removed like 47% at idle to make them run right.

Plug in your bypass harness and try running the truck and see what the AFR's are.
    Make sure all maps are blank, including fuel.
    Using control D and control U subtract fuel till it idles ok.
    I you want fuel trims to be somewhat close then you'll have to set the dead time to get them spot on, and I think toyota injectors are in the neighborhood of 1200us or 1.2ms for 13-14v dead time which can be adjusted from the setup menu -I don't know this for sure, haven't tried it yet.

The AEM is sorta weird.
    I went from stock to 650cc's and it took out like 57% but that was too much and the truck leaned out and died.
    47% was just right for me and my crappy china 650's

4. May 22, 2017 at 12:53 PM
    mtnkid85

mtnkid85 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    MT
    Vehicle:
    1999 TRD Taco
    35s, Locked, blown
    Yea, I did ask in the BS thread. Got a few replies.
    I kinda think it was the injectors. I did try running the jumper harness for the FIC and it didn't make any difference, still ran at ~10afr.
    I also did like you say with the control D and I could lower the fuel down until the truck died but it never effected the AFRs. I used a long rod to listen to the three injectors that I could reach while idling and you could hear them clicking on/off, but I still think for what ever reason maybe those ones I couldn't reach to listen too where hanging open.

Anyway, I have pulled the injectors back out and will be sending them back to rock auto. I threw my stock injectors back in so I can drive the truck. I might revisit the larger injectors but right now I've got other things I need to be doing.

I can get the tune setup pretty nice with the stock injectors, all except a rich blurp right when I enter into the section of the map that I start modifying fuel/O2.

So I just need to get the tip in dialed and Ill call it good for a while.

Brice[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top