1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Aero turbine

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by sharksfan27, Jun 3, 2012.

1. Jun 8, 2012 at 8:32 AM
    TacomaGus

TacomaGus Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gus
    Morgantown, WV
    Vehicle:
    08 White TRD Sport DC
    Tinted Tails, TRD Shift Knob, Kenwood Headunit, Ebay BHLM Lights, Trimmed Mud Flaps, 265/70/17 General Grabber AT2's, WeatherTech Mats, Black Badges, Sylvania ZXE Bulbs, AFE Stage 2 Si Intake, 17x8.5 Level 8 Guardian Wheels, URD SS, Custom 2.5" Catback with Aero 2525 and Vibrant Ultra Quiet Resonator, URD MAF CAL, JBA LT Headers, OME 884's, Nitrochargers, Dakars with 3rd lead removed, Light Racing UCA's
    mine doesn't have any rasp imo, it just sounds good. Now with headers or y-pipe i can't attest but i imagine there'd be some rasp

2. Jun 8, 2012 at 8:36 AM
    blackhawke88

blackhawke88 wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

Member:
    SGV, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad
    Mine's as raspy as a hooker's fart

3. Jun 9, 2012 at 9:32 PM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
  4. Jun 25, 2012 at 7:46 PM
    ThePoogna

ThePoogna Active Member

Member:
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    07 prerunner trd off road double cab
    Trd Cold Air Intake, Window Tint, Grillcraft mesh grille, Halo Projector Headlights 6000k HIDs, LED Tail lights, Aero Turbine 2525 Exhaust, Python Alarm/Remote Start, Ipod interface, 3" OME Suspension lift, Camburg B/J UCAs
    Just installed the AT2525 had it cut right after the rear axle and turned down, and damn is this thing loud! Makes my previous flowmaster sound like shit.

5. Jun 25, 2012 at 7:59 PM
    anthony250f

anthony250f Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2008 dcsb trd offroad 4wd
    really? i cut mine after the axle and it was WAYY quiter!!

6. Jun 25, 2012 at 9:22 PM
    RELLIM

RELLIM Well-Known Member

Member:
    IOWA CITY IA
    Vehicle:
    2010 ACC CAB 4X4 V6 SR5 TRD
    Scan Gauge II, AFE air filter, charcoal intake filter delete Fitch Fuel Catalyst, Alpine iDA-X303, AMS OIL (ENGINE) Bilstein 5100 RHA series
    Question... does it matter if the resonator goes before the muffler or after the muffler..
    I still can't get past how this 4.0 L engine sound like a diesel city bus, i just have to laugh... Even when the exhaust is stock.

Aero Turbine Notes: For maximum performance and fuel economy install the aeroturbine with 12" of strait pipe in front and behind the muffler.

I found this info ^ in my muffler box when i bought a 2525 areoturbine.

7. Jun 25, 2012 at 9:28 PM
    ThePoogna

ThePoogna Active Member

Member:
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    Trd Cold Air Intake, Window Tint, Grillcraft mesh grille, Halo Projector Headlights 6000k HIDs, LED Tail lights, Aero Turbine 2525 Exhaust, Python Alarm/Remote Start, Ipod interface, 3" OME Suspension lift, Camburg B/J UCAs
    I had them cut it after the axle when they installed the muffler so I dont really know what it would have sounded like positioned anywhere else, but It is definitely louder than my previous muffler it sounds mean.

8. Jul 11, 2012 at 6:47 PM
    stunt man hans

stunt man hans DISPLACED VIKING LIVING IN WYOMING

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    FULL AEV PROSPECTOR KIT++
    i just ordered the non resonated 2525 aero turbine muffler for my 2.7 regular cab :)

all the clips sound great and spurred by decision to finally switch out my flowmaster with the broken baffle that rattles around inside :/

do you fellas know of anyone that has one of these guys on a 4cyl? i searched it out but, haven't had any luck finding a video clip.

9. Jul 11, 2012 at 7:18 PM
    anthony250f

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    what muffler did you have before? i think the fm 40 is the loudest

10. Jul 11, 2012 at 7:25 PM
    stunt man hans

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    bump for any videos of a 4cyl running the 2525 aero turbine

11. Jul 12, 2012 at 7:17 AM
    stunt man hans

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    lol there has to be someone running this muffler on a 4cyl tacoma :/

12. Jul 12, 2012 at 7:48 AM
    03is300ztk

03is300ztk Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Somewhere in the hills NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 4X4
    Grillcraft, with front and rear bumper/bed in the works.

Two parts im going to comment on,

To Torspd: You are incorrect, Your pre catalyst O2 sensors are used by the ECU to determine correct air/fuel ratios. Thus if you "delete/simulate" these you will rarely have a well running truck, your rear or "post catalyst" O2 sensors are there too monitor your emmisions, IE: make sure the catalytic convertor is functioning. These are the ones you can "delete/simulate".

When going to the link you posted it specifically says "REAR"

To Memario1214: Yes you have lost your low end power due to no back pressure. There is a fix however. Get yourself an Engine management tuner, either piggy back or full standalone and basically "reprogram" the fuel maps to make up for the higher air flow. Same concept as the older carbureted motors, when you put on a straight exhaust you have to rejet the carb. You will be amazed at the difference.

This is my .02 not meant to come off as harsh/rude.

13. Jul 12, 2012 at 8:00 AM
    anthony250f

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Tacokid has a magnaflow. and it sounded reAlly really good

14. Jul 12, 2012 at 8:16 AM
    stunt man hans

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    i'm not a fan of the magna flow mufflers. i'm all stock save for the muffle and the way it exits straight to the rear.

plus i already ordered the aero turbine 2525 i opted for the non resonated model as i like it loud and nasty lol. i was just wondering if anyone had one on a 4 banger i have searched all over and can't pull up a clip of one.

edit, coltons truck sounds bad ass and so does blackhawkes. i found their sound clips after i put on my turd master unfortunately or otherwise i would have went with an aero from the start. i have wanted one ever since i seen memarios videos.

15. Jul 12, 2012 at 8:23 AM
    stunt man hans

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    good info thanks.

my truck seems to have lost some of its low end as well since i put on the snorkel and flow master. so when i really open it up by putting on the aero your saying that an engine control unit or piggy back would help me as well or no?

if so what company makes the best ones? once again this is good to know as i was told the factory computer can and will adjust to a certain point but, i'm not sure how far it will go with out additional help.

btw my set-up consists of the safari snorkel and an afe pro dry s filter and the charcoal filter has been left in place. then the muffler currently the flowmaster original 40 and a center outlet running straight to the rear through a z-28 style tip below my license plate lol.

let me know what you think cause if opening things up even more will cause me to lose even more on the low end i may have a problem on my hands lol

16. Jul 12, 2012 at 8:45 AM
    03is300ztk

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 4X4

I do know that AEM EFI is a decent piggy back. As far as standalone, i wont recommend unless your going to boost. You can spend any where from a few hundred to the thousands depending on what you want to be able to do with it.

As to how its working, three parts to a basic internal combustion engine as you know, air/fuel/spark.

When you add the snorkel, and hi flow filter, you are increasing the amount of air going in, to a certain point the ECU can adjust, but combine that with a free flowing exhaust that creates a vacuum in the combustion chamber helping to get more air in, the ECU is losing the ability to adjust on the fly. Basically exceeding its pre-programed limits.

So with all this air coming and going you dont have enough fuel to create good stoichiometry which in lamens is the proper air/fuel ratio for perfect atomization and combustion.

Now when you put the tuner on to compensate bam your back to having all your low end power and higher numbers across the board.

I am new to tacoma tuning but have long been into lex/toyo tuning. Just working on converting over to the trucks.

As to opening up more, you can only go so far with a naturally aspirated engine before you have to look at forcing air in versus letting the engine just suck it in.
    See this.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/performance-tuning/208747-best-low-end-torque-mod.html

17. Jul 12, 2012 at 9:17 AM
    03is300ztk

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 4X4
    Also check this guys website, I started using him a few years back, when I only had a Lexus IS300, which is the toyota 2jz-ge platform. He does a lot for the VZ series engine, such as plug and play harnesses for management and what not. I dont yet see him producing any GR engine stuff, but with the right amount of demand he may.

http://www.tokensolutions.net/categories/Engine-Management/

BTW his customer support and technical help is FANTASTIC.

18. Jul 12, 2012 at 11:59 AM
    stunt man hans

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    let me make it clear i'm not actually trying to gain power now or when i bolted on the other things. i added all of them with individual intentions. like the snorkel i added just so that i could cross some water if i ever needed to. the air filter i added because everyone that has one has loved it and they are lifetime filters. the muffler i added purely for sound no other reason. but, now if i've crossed over to a place where my truck is actually no longer capable of running at its best because of these mods i would like to fix that as i like to do things the right way and not half ass them.

i don't really want to spend the extra money for a piggy back either right now i just wanted something simple plug and play that could possibly help the factory computer make proper the adjustments to offset all the shit i bolted on the poor truck lol.

19. Jul 12, 2012 at 12:27 PM
    blackhawke88

blackhawke88 wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

Member:
    SGV, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad
    Add a restrictor plate to decrease airflow lol

20. Jul 12, 2012 at 12:32 PM
    ThePoogna

ThePoogna Active Member

Member:
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    I had the 50 series, so it wasnt too loud.

Products Discussed in

To Top