1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

AFE Filter Leak

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Armkb, Feb 20, 2010.

1. Feb 20, 2010 at 6:25 PM
    Armkb

Armkb [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hudson Valley, New York
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport DCLB
    Bilstein 5100, OME 885X, LR UCA, ARB/EL095R, ES LCA Rack & Sway Bar Bushings, Yellow Wire Mod, ABS Switch, TPMS Mod, Scanguage, Toyota Bed Mat, WeatherTech Floor Liners, Extang Trifecta Cover, Fumoto Drain Valve
    Was doing my 15000 mile oil change, tire rotation, etc. and removed my airfilter to check on things and discovered my AFE Pro Dry filter was letting unfiltered air thru the intake. I took apart the entire air cleaner assembly and checked the mating surface of the filter to the assembly and found that the filter just barely covers the mating surface on the filtered side, in fact if is moved to the front or the back of the assembly there is a small gap that is exposed and not being filtered.

I then compared it to a newer AFE filter as I had bought one and had another given to me as a gift and found that the newer one was slightly larger. I then compared the new filter and found that it covered the flange but just barely. Again if it was pushed either to the front or back it seems that it too could leak unfiltered air into the intake.

Just decided its not worth running either and reinstalled my factory filter to be on the safe side. Has anyone checked theirs recently and found the same conditions as I have. AFE is going to here from me.

2. Feb 20, 2010 at 6:36 PM
    blazze2005

blazze2005 Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Pre-Runner Sport
    Fuel Off-Road Octane Wheels,Yokohama Geolander ATS 265/65/17.Grillcraft,Borla Exhaust,Truxedo Lo Pro Tonneau Cover,Pop n Lock Tailgate Security,Custom Wet Okle TRD Seat Covers,Catch-All Matts,Gatorback Belt,Shorty Antenna,Toyota Bed Matt,Sirius Radio,Vent Sades,20% Lumar Window Tint
    Is this the AFE Pro Dry S filter for the 4.0 V-6?

I hope not, I just ordered one:eek:

3. Feb 21, 2010 at 8:36 AM
    Armkb

Armkb [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hudson Valley, New York
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport DCLB
    Bilstein 5100, OME 885X, LR UCA, ARB/EL095R, ES LCA Rack & Sway Bar Bushings, Yellow Wire Mod, ABS Switch, TPMS Mod, Scanguage, Toyota Bed Mat, WeatherTech Floor Liners, Extang Trifecta Cover, Fumoto Drain Valve
    Yeah its part #31-10114. For the 4.0 V-6. I checked the shipping box and it states its for Tacomas 05-08. I wonder if an 09 is different. Will have to look into it more.

4. Feb 28, 2010 at 5:54 PM
    carmellocafe

carmellocafe Begin With The End In Mind.

Member:
    First Name:
    KEVIN
    N. California
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD OR Access cab longbed
    Hmm.. Mine seals pretty good all around. :confused:

5. Feb 28, 2010 at 6:00 PM
    blazze2005

blazze2005 Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Pre-Runner Sport
    Fuel Off-Road Octane Wheels,Yokohama Geolander ATS 265/65/17.Grillcraft,Borla Exhaust,Truxedo Lo Pro Tonneau Cover,Pop n Lock Tailgate Security,Custom Wet Okle TRD Seat Covers,Catch-All Matts,Gatorback Belt,Shorty Antenna,Toyota Bed Matt,Sirius Radio,Vent Sades,20% Lumar Window Tint
    I just installed my new AFE pro dry on Saturday and I noticed no issues with sealing.

It would only move very little from left to right but I made sure it was perfectly centered on the air intake and I also checked top and bottom

Mine came directly from AFE through Auto Parts Warehouse

Products Discussed in

To Top